Matt Cooke and Brenden Morrow Q's

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
1) Matt Cooke. Why did the Pens not re-sign him?
-Was it due to money?
-If not, why?
-Was he slowing down? Losing effectivness?
-Where they being shallow and letting him go due to reputation?

I just don't understand it given he did play within the rules and was very effective.

2) Brandon Morrow? How come he was not kept for 3rd/4th line help? If you subtract D'Agostini and Niskanen there was room (even more if Adams was not re-signed).

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Someone was going to be screwed with the Dupuis/Letang raises and especially after the Scuderi signing.

Could've went the other way if Dupuis wanted too much money and they let him go and signed Cooke.

Brendon Morrow's wheels are gone. Wasn't a very effective player overall in the playoffs. Probably should've sat more than he played for guys like TK and Bennett.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
-Was it due to money?
-If not, why?

I just don't understand it given he did play within the rules and was very effective.

2) Brandon Morrow? How come he was not kept for 3rd/4th line help? If you subtract D'Agostini and Niskanen there was room (even more if Adams was not re-signed).

Cooke is gone because of money.

Morrow is gone because he sucks. Not Iginla kind of sucks where he is still going to produce and he just sucks compared to what he used to be. Brenden Morrow straight up sucks. He'd be an upgrade over Glass and Adams. Those are probably the only guys I'd be happy having him replace.

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
-Was it due to money?
-If not, why?

1. Money. And probably term

2. Is there? I'm not so certain. Penguins are over the cap right now. Moving Niskanen gets them back under, but under by enough to ink Morrow? I've seen no indication that the guy is willing to take some super discount to stay in the league.

And finally, Morrow is as banged up as it gets. He was the slowest forward on the oldest team in the league last season, and not by a small margin. His turning radius is like Jody Shelley's and his first step from a dead stop is like Douglas Murray's.

Advanced stats aren't everything, but when it comes to how much of a defensive liability Morrow is when he's on the ice (due to lack of mobility) they're dead accurate in his case.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm pretty POed that Cookies gone but that money helped bring Scuds back so I've come to terms with it.

As big a fan of Scuds that I am I'm really worried about how he'll look under Disco.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
I'm pretty POed that Cookies gone but that money helped bring Scuds back so I've come to terms with it.

As big a fan of Scuds that I am I'm really worried about how he'll look under Disco.

Me too. If they traded Niskanen for a pick and demoted Glass they could have kept him

cooke - sutter - jokinen/ bennett

not a bad 3rd line

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
In a perfect world I would have rather seen Dupuis go and Cooke stay. But we had no options for line 1 RW better than Dupuis at anywhere near the price.

Morrow I think can still be useful to this team as 4th liner. Rather see Glass money go to him.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Cooke is gone because his past was still hurting the team. Had they wanted to keep him they very well could have depending on what he would take here, not what he got out there.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I really hope we re-sign Morrow now the Cooke is gone. I thought he was one of the few bright lights versus Boston and at least he brings passion, leadership, "sandpaper".

Last edited by a moderator:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Cooke is gone because his past was still hurting the team. Had they wanted to keep him they very well could have depending on what he would take here, not what he got out there.

They offered him a contract, I know he has a bad past in terms of doing stupid stuff but he was still a very useful player here and the Pens didn't want to let him go. At the end of the day the deal Shero proposed to him most probably "cap friendly" wasn't enough for him, maybe his last shot at getting good money.

Morrow still remains unsigned, it's still possible but I doubt he comes back. I'd take him back if we could move Niskanen or Orpik to free up some cap space. But Morrow too is getting older and will want a nice deal for 3-4-5 years. Not sure Shero is ready to give him that

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
-Was it due to money?
-If not, why?

you just named 3 roster players that would need to be replaced by someone. We Borrow can't be 2 fourth liners and a 7th D-man by himself.

Side note, I still think there's a chance he is back if Nisky is dealt. 1 year 2 million or something

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
you just named 3 roster players that would need to be replaced by someone. We Borrow can't be 2 fourth liners and a 7th D-man by himself.

Side note, I still think there's a chance he is back if Nisky is dealt. 1 year 2 million or something

we don't have 2 million to spend even after moving Niskanen.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I'm not broken up over losing Cooke, even though I think he was a very useful 3rd liner. Mainly because I've gotten so tired of seeing "2 minutes for being Matt Cooke" penalties called over the past few years. Not that he doesn't deserve it (given the Savard hit) but it's going to plague him for the rest of his career no matter what he does, and it greatly diminishes his value.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I'm not broken up over losing Cooke, even though I think he was a very useful 3rd liner. Mainly because I've gotten so tired of seeing "2 minutes for being Matt Cooke" penalties called over the past few years. Not that he doesn't deserve it (given the Savard hit) but it's going to plague him for the rest of his career no matter what he does, and it greatly diminishes his value.

Ya sometimes it did feel like he was getting a penalty for simply being Matt Cooke

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Basically my view there. I miss him, but I don't miss the phantom penalties, teams having free rein to do whatever the **** they pleased to him, or the general headaches that go along with supporting a team that employed him.

His bad reputation is fairly well deserved, but not to the degree people take it. There are way too many people out there that believe that Cooke is the only reason Savard's career ended...not the 4 or 5 other concussions, including one that happened after he came back after lying about being symptom free.

We're certainly not a better team without him, but for $2.5 a year over 3 years at this stage of his career I'm fine moving on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad