The Athletic - Boston Matt Brown

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Good philosophy, Matt. I wouldn't mind reading his book when it comes out.

Eight years after a hockey accident left him a quadriplegic,...

Keeping busy helps. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, Brown works out at Canton’s Journey Forward, a program helping patients with spinal cord injuries. Denna Laing, the Boston Blades player injured in 2016, is a fellow Journey Forward athlete.
Brown spends an hour of each session standing and moving with assistance. In the second hour, Brown is hooked up to an electrical stimulation machine. The objective is for Brown’s brain to send messages through the injury to his affected body parts.
Brown’s left arm is stronger than his right. He can move the toes on his right foot. Brown classifies sensation around his stomach as spotty.
“It’s been slow,” said Brown. “I’ve felt my arms getting stronger, my core muscles getting stronger. As great as it is physically over there, mentally, you go in having a tough day, you come out and realize you’re working on your goal. You’re staying healthy. Mentally, it really rewards you going in there three days a week.”
Brown’s job is to keep his body strong for the hoped-for breakthrough. If a time comes for a solution, Brown has to be ready for whatever it is.
“Why stop?” Brown asked. “Why give up if tomorrow could be the day? What if tomorrow’s the day that message gets through to my arms? What if tomorrow’s the day my legs wake up and something gets through? What if tomorrow’s the day the medical breakthrough comes? Why would I ever stop trying if tomorrow’s going to be the day?”

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
My heart aches for people like this. I can't even imagine not having the use of arms and legs even for a minute, let alone a situation like this. This is another example of the things we all take for granted. Sometimes we all need to take a break and think about how lucky most of us truly are. It really puts things in perspective.

I hope this kid and anyone in that situation can recover or at least lead a fulfilling life despite the hand they were dealt,

Reactions: sarge88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad