Matt Bartkowski

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
When he makes his rushes into the o-zone, he keeps gliding then throwing the puck into the slot when nobody is there. If he would just throw it on net even it would improve his numbers drastically.

Basically anytime he has a great rush it doesn't provide any offense because he immediately gives the puck away. Sure he gets the puck out of the zone but it is coming back down into the d-zone as soon as it leaves his stick.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
When he makes his rushes into the o-zone, he keeps gliding then throwing the puck into the slot when nobody is there. If he would just throw it on net even it would improve his numbers drastically.

Basically anytime he has a great rush it doesn't provide any offense because he immediately gives the puck away. Sure he gets the puck out of the zone but it is coming back down into the d-zone as soon as it leaves his stick.

Yeah and most of the time he ignores what is going on the ice and just rushes into the ozone. Not sure how many odd man rushes that has created against us.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Yeah and most of the time he ignores what is going on the ice and just rushes into the ozone. Not sure how many odd man rushes that has created against us.

But he is great at gaining the blueline with possession! What he does with the puck from there doesn't matter to some I guess.

He also has Bieksa disease where when he rushes the puck deep and loses it, he dicks around in the zone for an eternity before realizing he's supposed to get back in position.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's basically Keith Ballard. A bit better Keith Ballard than the broken-down Vancouver version, but not as good as the Phoenix version.

sdbullet

Dec 19, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I don't know if I am the only was who is completely mystified why this guy is playing defense for us, but what in the world was Jim Benning thinking signing this guy. He can skate out of his zone like the wind, but coverage in his zone, passing and overall awareness is absolutely horrible.

This is the first place I would look to in getting rid of someone for any value at all.

Get me a solid stay at home defender you can hit and defend and I am happy with that versus a complete train wreck in Bartkowski, someone our coaches can't even trust to play the PP, yet trust on the PK.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Signing guys like Bartkowski should be a red-flag for whoever it is that does pro-scouting for the 'Nucks.....how many whiffs are you allowed?....Vey, Clendening. Pedan and Baertshi were pro players who cost the 'Nucks valuable assets, but looks like they can't play....Bartkowski was signed as a UFA, but was a healthy scratch 30 times last year in Boston...and based on early returns this year, are you kidding me?...that's what worries me about Benning in the trade market.....if you can't get the small deals right, overestimating the talent on other teams is a huge concern on the bigger deals.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
He should be a forward. Completely ineffective in his own zone.

The Canucks have 2 defenceman who regularly see minutes that should be utilized as forwards, 4th line offensive players when you have a 09 Pens Jordan Staal style shutdown 3rd line.
Yannik Weber and Matt Bartkowski would be a great defenceman if they could be combined skill, body and brain fusion style DBZ.
Hopefully someone realizes this team needs one more Top4 guy to even compete for a playoff spot, because obviously the coaching staff and pro scouting staff hasn't. Hell I'd settle for a borderline guy like Gunnarson from STL. He's a #4 but would probably be #3 on the team here.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He's actually not a bad player as a bottom pairing. someone brought up his corsi (I forgot was it here or Canucks.com) his corsi was much much better then Lucas Sbisas. but now with injuries to Hamhius and Sbisa his ice time goes up, and now he's not use to playing those type of minutes.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Signing guys like Bartkowski should be a red-flag for whoever it is that does pro-scouting for the 'Nucks.....how many whiffs are you allowed?....Vey, Clendening. Pedan and Baertshi were pro players who cost the 'Nucks valuable assets, but looks like they can't play....Bartkowski was signed as a UFA, but was a healthy scratch 30 times last year in Boston...and based on early returns this year, are you kidding me?...that's what worries me about Benning in the trade market.....if you can't get the small deals right, overestimating the talent on other teams is a huge concern on the bigger deals.

No need to include Pedan in there, he's progressing just fine.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
He's now dead last in the NHL in scoring chances F/A among defensemen.

Over the last 5 seasons there have been 1052 samples of defensemen playing over 300 minutes in a season. Bartkowski is currently 1035th in scoring chances F/A in that group, and 13 of the 17 guys to put up a worse season than him had the misfortune of playing for Buffalo. He's 1047th of 1052 if you go by High Danger Scoring Chances.

I didn't think it'd be easy to find a guy worse than Sbisa, but Benning has done a bang up job.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Yes his best quality is that his contract runs out after this season. Then again, I thought for sure that Benning wasn't stupid enough to sign Sbisa to a multi-year big-money deal so who knows what happens.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
No need to include Pedan in there, he's progressing just fine.

Maybe he is "progressing' just fine, but somebody needs to tell Desjardins and Benning...apparently he isn't good enough to even beat out Weber or anyone else on that blueline right now, which is about as bad a group as any in the NHL

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yes his best quality is that his contract runs out after this season. Then again, I thought for sure that Benning wasn't stupid enough to sign Sbisa to a multi-year big-money deal so who knows what happens.

Thanks for spoiling my dream....I'll return the favor....Benning will re-up Prust for a 5 year deal @ $2.65 million a year.:naughty:

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I like him just fine at 12 mins per game.

He would look even better in the press box. How many goals have the Canucks given up because he can't box out an opposing player in front of his own net or he loses track of the player he is suppose to be covering?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I know exactly what will happen:

Canucks sign extension with D Bartkowski 3 years 9.6 million.

Benning: we decided to keep Bartkowski because he's been contributing to our team, he's a young guy with good size and good skating ability. He's been a big part of our defense and we think he can play a bigger role and take on more responsibilities. Our young guys are developing along and guys like Sbisa, Bartkowski can act as examples for the young players to follow.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
He's now dead last in the NHL in scoring chances F/A among defensemen.

Over the last 5 seasons there have been 1052 samples of defensemen playing over 300 minutes in a season. Bartkowski is currently 1035th in scoring chances F/A in that group, and 13 of the 17 guys to put up a worse season than him had the misfortune of playing for Buffalo. He's 1047th of 1052 if you go by High Danger Scoring Chances.

I didn't think it'd be easy to find a guy worse than Sbisa, but Benning has done a bang up job.

man, he's si much worse than I thought

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Benning: we decided to keep Bartkowski because he's been contributing to our team, he's a young guy with good size and good skating ability. He's been a big part of our defense and we think he can play a bigger role and take on more responsibilities. Our young guys are developing along and guys like Sbisa, Bartkowski can act as examples for the young players to follow.
heh you forgot....we had plenty of inquiries about Sbisa at the trade deadline but we turned them all down.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Strong skater. Unfortunately makes poor decisions with the puck - often just dumps the puck to the other team in the neutral zone/offensive zone. I would say he is a 'safer' player than Sbisa.

Should be behind Biega on the depth chart but ahead of Sbisa.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00