Mathews, Stamkos, Laine, Puljujarvi

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
If limits are of little concern, I'll extend the hypothetical a little further and throw out a possibility in which Toronto signs Stamkos after it wins the first pick overall.

In my ideal scenario, Arizona finished bottom three as well. Hunter/Dubas are able to acquire the Coyotes 3rd overall plus Dylan Strome and a 2nd in 2017. Arizona gets their hometown cornerstone and the Leafs draft Laine after Edmonton drafts Chychrun.

If the trend (in which the seemingly unthinkable actually continues to happen - insert immovable contract after immovable contract ) continues, I'll continue to be unshaken as ideal situations repeat one after the other.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
It would be scary if Leafs would be able to unite Stamkos and Pulju in blue and white. Pulju fed Laine to highs in WJC with his active 60m game and would probably do the same for Stamkos. Something that he has been missing since St.louis.

x-Stamkos-Pulju = Money

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
If limits are of little concern, I'll extend the hypothetical a little further and throw out a possibility in which Toronto signs Stamkos after it wins the first pick overall.

In my ideal scenario, Arizona finished bottom three as well. Hunter/Dubas are able to acquire the Coyotes 3rd overall plus Dylan Strome and a 2nd in 2017. Arizona gets their hometown cornerstone and the Leafs draft Laine after Edmonton drafts Chychrun.

If the trend (in which the seemingly unthinkable actually continues to happen - insert immovable contract after immovable contract ) continues, I'll continue to be unshaken as ideal situations repeat one after the other.

Hmmm that sounds exactly like what I proposed. I like Strome as well. He has something. And you have to think Arizona would really reach to get their hands on Matthews, but hey, they might just be given him, if you know what I mean.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I think we're gonna end up last but picking third for some reason. For that matter, Puljujarvi will be on the team unless they think Chychrun is better.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I personally think we don't get the luck and pick 5th or 6th, Tkachuk or Nylander. But these weren't an option so I chose Pulji. I want Matthews tho obviously

Crimson King

Feb 1, 2009
ontario
wheres the "none of the above" option? with this teams luck, I could totally see the leafs finishing last in the standings but losing the lottery and pick in the 4th spot.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I think Puljujarvi would be better fit for Stamkos in the long run than Laine. Not saying they necessarily play together. But Puljujarvi is much more of a playmaker than Laine. Then you already have Kapanen and JVR who are more shooter-types. Nylander and Marner being somewhere between, I think.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
I personally think we don't get the luck and pick 5th or 6th, Tkachuk or Nylander. But these weren't an option so I chose Pulji. I want Matthews tho obviously

Phaneuf got traded a couple days ago in case you missed it.

You should check out our d-core. We will finish last. 4th overall will be the worst pick we get.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Phaneuf got traded a couple days ago in case you missed it.

You should check out our d-core. We will finish last. 4th overall will be the worst pick we get.

To be guaranteed 4 you would have to finish dead last. I don't think we will. Do you think Dion was the factor holding us above 30th?

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Hmmm that sounds exactly like what I proposed. I like Strome as well. He has something. And you have to think Arizona would really reach to get their hands on Matthews, but hey, they might just be given him, if you know what I mean.

Didn't rummage through the thread before I sent. Didn't mean to "co-opt" the thought. But right there with ya...Like Strome and like the idea of Toronto gaining elite depth with one move.

Lot of unlikely ifs, however...

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I'm good with any of the top 3. Obviously Mathews will be the biggest help at centre but Either Finn will be awesome.

Side comment - I am surprised how public opinion has pushed Pulj into 3rd when he was clearly the better player than Laine for Finland at the WJC and has consistently been the more consistent producer in the international tourneys for Finland.

Is it because Laine is the more pure goal-scorer?

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
use some math here to get the answer to the question

If you assume those three players are the top 3 picks. At best it is a 20% shot to get one specific of those players. There isn't a one of the above 3 players option.

So basically it comes down to is there 21% or higher chance of getting Stamkos this offseason. I think we could all agree the answer to that is yes. Therefore the answer to the poll has to be Stamkos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad