Value of: Matheson

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I'll second the Calgary one but the 1st is in Lucic's final year, i think he said Math at 1M retained?

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Florida tried to trade him as a plus to NYR in a deal for Skjei at the TDL but NYR wanted to to get rid of some salary so it was a non starter.

Always liked Matheson but he is not living up to that contract.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Despite the fact he's apparently "a coward" or something :laugh:, i do think Matheson is a kind of intriguing change of scenery/reclamation project player. He does have a lot of positive attributes. He's got size, he can be physical, he can chip in some offense, and he can really skate. I think that under the right coach, he could get back on track to being a serviceable #4D again.

But that contract is just...yikes. You're really playing with a live grenade if you're thinking about taking him on hoping he returns to form. Still 6 more years at just under $5M is not something you want to futz around with unless you're supremely confident you can get him to bounce back. It was crazy contract to hand out at the time, just totally gambling on a very small sample trying to get a "steal" locked in long-term, and it's clearly backfired.

It's bad, when as a Canucks fan...i'm not sure i'd make that swap for Loui Eriksson, without some sort of significant sweetner. It's just so many years left on that deal, that unless it goes well...you've either got an anchor for half a dozen years, or you have a buyout that will haunt you until practically halfway to the next century. DiPietro style.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
In the past I feel like we have seen the cost of moving an asset go up exponentially with term. With Matheson I feel like his contract is so difficult to move you would almost have to find a similar contract or it simply wont be possible.

In the past I would have said it wasn't movable but we have seen that any contract can be moved as long as you take back a similarly bad contract.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
In the past I feel like we have seen the cost of moving an asset go up exponentially with term. With Matheson I feel like his contract is so difficult to move you would almost have to find a similar contract or it simply wont be possible.

In the past I would have said it wasn't movable but we have seen that any contract can be moved as long as you take back a similarly bad contract.

Yeah. I think in today's NHL...any contract can potentially be "moveable". It's just a matter of finding an equally unmoveable deal to swap it for. :laugh: :dunno:

I'm just not sure where that contract to match Matheson's is right now. Maybe it's one that hasn't fully turned sour yet, or is about to be signed whenever Free Agency hits again. The whole Seattle expansion thing could also maybe shake some things loose. Who knows.

It's too bad though, for Matheson in a sense. He clearly doesn't seem to be a fit, or favoured player for Coach Q...and he's not going anywhere any time soon. But Matheson seems very much trapped there due to his contract for the foreseeable future.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The fact that he's got a back-loaded deal with pretty hefty signing bonuses in the last 3 years will probably scare away a number of teams. The fact that the Panthers will likely be reluctant to take back bigger dollars is tough as well. Maybe a team would send a 1 or 2 year player back that the Panthers can buy out and they'd also retain some on the Matheson contract?

That being said, all it takes is a team who thinks he needs a change of scenery and suddenly there's a suitor who actually thinks there's value to be had.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I don't think the problem with Matheson is his willingness to fight, but more that he is a trainwreck defensively.

this. Wtf is going in this thread? He’s dropped the mitts twice that I can remember, he just blows defensively.

Matheson and a first? For Eriksson or Lucic?? Lol uhhh no.

he has negative value for sure, we’ll have to retain or move a prospect, but a first?

Dutronc

May 14, 2018
Look like Petry when he was with Edmonton. Its a damn long contract. But I take him with mtl when he will be bought out !

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Been saying this guy is garbage for a long time now. Happy to see people finally coming around. It's a blessing and a curse when players play on low profile teams like FLA because once they've got a perceived reputation/value it takes a long time for it to change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad