Value of: Matheson out, Edmundson (Or like him) in

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Florida needs defensive help. Bob hasn’t been stellar, but the D has been worse. Namely Matheson. He has ups and downs, but mostly downs. He’s not been the same since the suspension last season after hitting Pettersson.

after that glowing review, his cap hit is 4.88 til 25-26, so we’d need to add to get him out (or retain, not likely). I imagine Borgstrom may be available and picks as well.

Would like a solid shutdown guy, Edmundson was a thought because I like what he brings, don’t know if he’s available.
Martinez has slowed down supposedly, but he may work also.

Dunno, just wondering aloud as to what management may be looking up do. Likely stuck with Math, but I guess we’ll see.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Edmundson was absent from the recent D for Top 9 F rumor. That probably means he's going nowhere, if Carolina is competitive.

Fleury is available, but he's more potential than proven and the cost will be decent. I think they'd be more inclined to trade an impending UFA van Riemsdyk for futures than the younger guy with years of team control attached.

Reactions: DaveG

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Yandle gets moved before Matheson imo.
Dont really have an idea of Mathesons value but not ready to "give up on him/give him away".

Yandle is a +5 and has 15 points on the season, he isn’t going anywhere. Matheson meanwhile has 1 point, is a -7 and has reverted back to his crap play after his injury. I don’t hate the kid, but the defense needs work and he’s the one I think they’d move. Ek has looked better this season and is a +5, Weegar has been our best defender, Stralman is solid but is paired with Matheson and hasn’t been able to calm him down, Brown is Brown and adds a physical element. Pysyk could be moved, but he makes half what Matheson does, wouldn’t mind if both are gone to free up salary.
Problem is, Math makes 4.88 per and we’d need to move his salary (imo) to bring a solid guy in.

But, I’m also frustrated with him and while I’m generally on the patient side of things, I do think a shake up is needed at D.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Edmundson was absent from the recent D for Top 9 F rumor. That probably means he's going nowhere, if Carolina is competitive.

Fleury is available, but he's more potential than proven and the cost will be decent. I think they'd be more inclined to trade an impending UFA van Riemsdyk for futures than the younger guy with years of team control attached.
Thanks for this. Doubt they go after Van Riemsdyk, or Fluery since I think they’d want a steady veteran presence back there, but I don’t guess I’d be too opposed to it. Wasn’t sure how they were feeling about Edmundson, I liked him a lot during the playoffs and I think he’s what we should be after.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Be patient with a guy dealing with injuries, it might be a slow season for Matheson depending on what he's dealing with and trying to recover from. Was it ever said what the injury was? I think today's game with so much speed, makes injured players look a lot worse, a decade ago you could play at 80-90% and not look so far behind, but today if you're not at full capacity, you're going to easily be left behind. Add in the difficulty of properly healing during the long grind of the season, even an injury that a guy can play through can ruin his season.

Anyway, his cap hit really isn't much, and the Panthers are better off giving him time to heal up and get his game back than trading him out for immediate help because it's going to be a downgrade one way or another.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Thanks for this. Doubt they go after Van Riemsdyk, or Fluery since I think they’d want a steady veteran presence back there, but I don’t guess I’d be too opposed to it. Wasn’t sure how they were feeling about Edmundson, I liked him a lot during the playoffs and I think he’s what we should be after.

Edmundson: 26 years old - 337 NHL games - 1 Cup
Trevor Van Riemsdyk: 28 years old - 349 NHL games - 1 Cup

:dunno:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yandle is a +5 and has 15 points on the season, he isn’t going anywhere. Matheson meanwhile has 1 point, is a -7 and has reverted back to his crap play after his injury. I don’t hate the kid, but the defense needs work and he’s the one I think they’d move. Ek has looked better this season and is a +5, Weegar has been our best defender, Stralman is solid but is paired with Matheson and hasn’t been able to calm him down, Brown is Brown and adds a physical element. Pysyk could be moved, but he makes half what Matheson does, wouldn’t mind if both are gone to free up salary.
Problem is, Math makes 4.88 per and we’d need to move his salary (imo) to bring a solid guy in.

But, I’m also frustrated with him and while I’m generally on the patient side of things, I do think a shake up is needed at D.

There are reasons Yandle piles up the points though, that's his role. He gets the benefit of playing on the bottom pairing against weaker competition and then gets #1PP time playing with our stars up front.
Matheson plays against way better opposition in the top 4, gets no PP time and plays a lot of PK

It's only in the last 5 games that Matheson +/- took a hit and you can see why. The NYR and WPG game, he was a -3 both games and to be honest as bad as the defense may be at some times, Bob has been pretty bad and let some questionable goals in.

Feel Matheson and Stralman were good together prior to MM's injury but I can understand your want for a more consistent defensive defenseman but your proposal makes it seem like he's a cap dump at this point, needing Borgstrom or picks to attract someone. For me, Edmundson would be a great short term add, Martinez is a shell of his former self and would prefer to move Yandle (in the offseason if he waives) as he will have more value even at 33 years old. Although I'd hate to lose Yandle as a glue guy/locker room type.

I look to Gildon to come in and replace a bit of what Yandle does in the next year or two, both Gildon and Matheson have wheels and will be better defensively as they go. We usually agree on most stuff Laus but just think you'd be selling Matheson at low value and his contract length probably scares away most GM's

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Yandle gets moved before Matheson imo.
Dont really have an idea of Mathesons value but not ready to "give up on him/give him away".
Ideally yes, but Yandle has a NMC and 3 more years at $6.35m/year. Even if he did agree to waive, no one would take on that contract without a bad one coming back.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ideally yes, but Yandle has a NMC and 3 more years at $6.35m/year. Even if he did agree to waive, no one would take on that contract without a bad one coming back.

I'd agree we have to take back salary but if Yandle puts up another 50+pt season, there will be teams interested if they have some young D that don't need protection from expansion draft. Don't think Yandle is viewed as a cap dump, he plays every game and still does his job as a PPQB but needs to be sheltered 5 on 5.

Maybe COL? Go with Girard, Yandle and Byram as their LD. They probably only need to protect Girard, Makar (not sure if he meets requirements for protection) and possibly Johnson while exposing Cole. They would have Makar, Johnson and Timmins on the right side.

Yandle for Zadorov with some filler seems like a good move for both. COL is currently at 17th in PP.
Yandle's deal expires same year Mack needs a new deal.

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

I mean he put up 60 points last year and never gets injured. That's far from a bad contract. He'd be a better fit on a team that needs more offense and a PP qb, that's all.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I highly doubt Edmundson is available, but I could see CAR listening, if the return were a top 9 forward. It makes no sense to move him for futures, as CAR wants to win now, has a top 10 farm system and already has a crap-ton of picks in 2020 draft.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Edmundson: 26 years old - 337 NHL games - 1 Cup
Trevor Van Riemsdyk: 28 years old - 349 NHL games - 1 Cup

:dunno:

unless TVR is hurt, the Canes chose Edmundson over him also. Lol. Joel is bigger and a good fighter. Not opposed to TVR, just prefer Edmundson if we’re moving out Matheson+.

There are reasons Yandle piles up the points though, that's his role. He gets the benefit of playing on the bottom pairing against weaker competition and then gets #1PP time playing with our stars up front.
Matheson plays against way better opposition in the top 4, gets no PP time and plays a lot of PK

It's only in the last 5 games that Matheson +/- took a hit and you can see why. The NYR and WPG game, he was a -3 both games and to be honest as bad as the defense may be at some times, Bob has been pretty bad and let some questionable goals in.

Feel Matheson and Stralman were good together prior to MM's injury but I can understand your want for a more consistent defensive defenseman but your proposal makes it seem like he's a cap dump at this point, needing Borgstrom or picks to attract someone. For me, Edmundson would be a great short term add, Martinez is a shell of his former self and would prefer to move Yandle (in the offseason if he waives) as he will have more value even at 33 years old. Although I'd hate to lose Yandle as a glue guy/locker room type.

I look to Gildon to come in and replace a bit of what Yandle does in the next year or two, both Gildon and Matheson have wheels and will be better defensively as they go. We usually agree on most stuff Laus but just think you'd be selling Matheson at low value and his contract length probably scares away most GM's

I just don’t think he has much value at all right now due to his play all last season and at the start of this one, and I can see Borgstrom being moved as well, but I think it would be for a much better defenseman should he be added.
I was high on him, but I see him going the way of Gudbranson in that he’s not that effective. Terrific wheels and size, just disappointed with him and am finding with moving him for a more imposing shutdown guy.
So far as Yandle, you’re right with his pairing and PP time, but he’s great as a QB and I don’t mind him. Him being loved does free up a ton of space, and he’s not a Tallon signee.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
:habs
Michael Matheson
Habs roll the dice on a mobile youngish LHD. Takes a risk with his contract
:canes
Paul Byron
Canes get a top 9 forward

:panthers
TVR
Florida gets the D they are looking for according to OP