Matches that did not live up to the hype

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Personally didn't see Taker/HBK at 25 as being the absolute greatest match ever as some claim it to be. Was it a good match with a great story? Yes. As for the match being a 5*, ehhhh.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I'll get flack for this one, but for me it's HBK/Razor Ramon ladder match at WM 10. Not a bad match, but not as good as the hype.

Their Summerslam '95 match was way better even with Shawn throwing a temper tantrum at the end because he couldn't line up the ladder :laugh:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
To echo a few mentioned, the Hart-Michaels Iron Man Match is overrated. On paper it's pretty much the best match ever, but it's a chore to watch it. Too many rests without any reason. Also, if Michaels-Undertaker (either Wrestlemania match) is considered among the best ever then that doesn't live up to that level of hype. Great match, but there are plenty better.

Cena - CM Punk (Money in the Bank) The ending is great, the match is nothing special.

Undertaker - HHH (Wrestlemania Matches) The first one was just mediocre, the second was barely even a match. I hope these aren't actually ranked that highly.

Michaels - Angle (Wrestlemania) Just another paint by numbers Angle match to me.

Great Muta - Hiroshi Hase (Muta Scale Match) not about the quality, but about blood. For a match that inspired the scale for bloodiness for all wrestling to follow, it's not ridiculously bloody.

Overall I find most wrestling matches to be properly rated, so it's hard to come up with overrated matches. A lot of it just comes down to personal opinion, obviously.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'll get flack for this one, but for me it's HBK/Razor Ramon ladder match at WM 10. Not a bad match, but not as good as the hype.

Their Summerslam '95 match was way better even with Shawn throwing a temper tantrum at the end because he couldn't line up the ladder :laugh:

I think the Iron Man and the Ladder Match are best of all time for that time period. Neither match honestly holds true to today. But for the time period, it wasn't about wrestling 1 hour or having a ladder in the ring. So it revolutionized the sport at that time and was definitely the best at the time it happened, however both of those matches have not held their standard since.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I loved the finish to the match, even with the massive overbooking and production errors. That pop that Taker got is one of my favorites of that era.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
What hyped up matches have you watched and disagreed with the norm thinking it didn't live up to the hype? Could be watching it live, or watching it years later.

Going to douse this with gasoline off the bat.

Randy vs Steamboat at Mania 3. Good match for sure, but growing up people the talk is this is one of the GOAT matches. All the stories about how OCD Randy was about planning the spots.

I enjoyed it when I finally watched it, but I didn't think it was that amazingly special. Maybe it didn't age well I don't know but I think I've seen better matches out of Randy then this one.

Savage Steamboat WM3 is probably my favorite match of all time so I'm going to have to disagree with that one. I could watch it over and over again.

Sorry had to comment and throw my opinion out there because I was going to guess that someone might mention this match because it's so hyped, I just think it deserves all of it.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Savage Steamboat WM3 is probably my favorite match of all time so I'm going to have to disagree with that one. I could watch it over and over again.

Sorry had to comment and throw my opinion out there because I was going to guess that someone might mention this match because it's so hyped, I just think it deserves all of it.

It is cool. Figured there would debate and disagreement. I disagree with some who picked Taker/Shawn at 25 as overhyped as I loved that match and still love watching it.

I'm in the minority that thinks their match at 26 was better though. I liked the all white god entrance by Shawn in 25, but I think 26 just had the better story (it needed 25 to tell it of course). All the **** Shawn did to get the rematch. Career vs Streak was simple perfect, they wrestled a hell of a match and I love the finish with the slap into a jumping tombstone (I can't even think of another time Taker pulled one of those out).

I do agree with bringing the Shawn vs Brett Iron Man in here, but at the time man did that match have me glued to my TV. I was seriously invested in every near fall, and Shawn's entrance at the time was cool as hell. New Gen era was not a great time for the company and it was getting close to being on its way out, but that match was a high point even if it doesn't hold up as well today (and yes Rock/HHH was way better).

I've seen Brett/Bulldog at SS 92 given some high plaudits. A good match, maybe Bulldogs best, but there are way better Brett matches and I wouldn't put that match on a greatest of all time list yet I've seen it on there.

King of the Ring HIAC Taker/Mankind. This is a tough one. I love this match, but at the same time its barely a match. Everything went wrong, Foley nearly died like twice, and he was beyond concussed when they finally got to doing the match.

If you go in just to see how far Foley will push the envelope to entertain people. Then it lives up to the hype. If you are looking for a wrestling match this isn't the place to go. Foley's HIAC with HHH was a much better "match".

A lot of Hogan's big matches really don't age well. Andre/Hogan is almost unwatchable today. Hogan/Warrior is a pretty crap match IMO. I think the mega powers exploding did deliver, but that is because Randy is brilliant.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
It is cool. Figured there would debate and disagreement. I disagree with some who picked Taker/Shawn at 25 as overhyped as I loved that match and still love watching it.

I'm in the minority that thinks their match at 26 was better though. I liked the all white god entrance by Shawn in 25, but I think 26 just had the better story (it needed 25 to tell it of course). All the **** Shawn did to get the rematch. Career vs Streak was simple perfect, they wrestled a hell of a match and I love the finish with the slap into a jumping tombstone (I can't even think of another time Taker pulled one of those out).

I do agree with bringing the Shawn vs Brett Iron Man in here, but at the time man did that match have me glued to my TV. I was seriously invested in every near fall, and Shawn's entrance at the time was cool as hell. New Gen era was not a great time for the company and it was getting close to being on its way out, but that match was a high point even if it doesn't hold up as well today (and yes Rock/HHH was way better).

I've seen Brett/Bulldog at SS 92 given some high plaudits. A good match, maybe Bulldogs best, but there are way better Brett matches and I wouldn't put that match on a greatest of all time list yet I've seen it on there.

King of the Ring HIAC Taker/Mankind. This is a tough one. I love this match, but at the same time its barely a match. Everything went wrong, Foley nearly died like twice, and he was beyond concussed when they finally got to doing the match.

If you go in just to see how far Foley will push the envelope to entertain people. Then it lives up to the hype. If you are looking for a wrestling match this isn't the place to go. Foley's HIAC with HHH was a much better "match".

A lot of Hogan's big matches really don't age well. Andre/Hogan is almost unwatchable today. Hogan/Warrior is a pretty crap match IMO. I think the mega powers exploding did deliver, but that is because Randy is brilliant.

Thank you for bringing up Foley/Taker. That is one I see get tons of hype many times. And really it's a two spot match and that's it. It's also really difficult to re-watch.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Oh, Lesnar vs. Rollins too. That could have been the MOTY. Suplex city stuff is fun and all but man do I miss when Lesnar would actually work a real match.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Oh, Lesnar vs. Rollins too. That could have been the MOTY. Suplex city stuff is fun and all but man do I miss when Lesnar would actually work a real match.

I say this a lot too! I feel like the WWE always tries to hop on some trend. Lesnar matches aren't as good when it's nothing but Germans.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Thank you for bringing up Foley/Taker. That is one I see get tons of hype many times. And really it's a two spot match and that's it. It's also really difficult to re-watch.

I didn't like doing it because it brings make some memories and was insane.

Still you guys are right. It was just two spots (that went really wrong) or a glorified segment.

It doesn't belong on a greatest match of all time list as its not even a match.

Might deserve its own list or a "greatest moments" or "greatest spots" lists. Not match though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels, Iron Man Match - WrestleMania 12.

I'm almost positive these two have a better match somewhere in their library.

The match needed to be a 1 1 tie at the end IMO. Shawn had to tap to the sharpshooter at least once to put it over in the match. Have Shawn sneak a school boy or a reversal for the tieing pinfall.

It would of made the ending of him holding out even bigger (especially because Brett breaks the hold thinking he retained. If he just kept going into OT he would of won).

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
I didn't like doing it because it brings make some memories and was insane.

Still you guys are right. It was just two spots (that went really wrong) or a glorified segment.

It doesn't belong on a greatest match of all time list as its not even a match.

Might deserve its own list or a "greatest moments" or "greatest spots" lists. Not match though.

Come on guys! Foley took a CHOKESLAM ONTO TACKS! OH WHAT A SADISTIC THING!

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I say this a lot too! I feel like the WWE always tries to hop on some trend. Lesnar matches aren't as good when it's nothing but Germans.

It's fun at house shows and it was fun the first time, but God dammit, this guy is a freak of nature and one of the best. Let him wrestle.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm almost positive these two have a better match somewhere in their library.

The match needed to be a 1 1 tie at the end IMO. Shawn had to tap to the sharpshooter at least once to put it over in the match. Have Shawn sneak a school boy or a reversal for the tieing pinfall.

It would of made the ending of him holding out even bigger (especially because Brett breaks the hold thinking he retained. If he just kept going into OT he would of won).

They had a match at '92 Survivor Series that was similarly structured, but condensed so it worked a lot better (ie. Michaels surprised Hart with mat-based wrestling) They also had a ladder match as well that is the 'true' first ever ladder match but it quite obscure that WWE glosses over it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They had a match at '92 Survivor Series that was similarly structured, but condensed so it worked a lot better (ie. Michaels surprised Hart with mat-based wrestling) They also had a ladder match as well that is the 'true' first ever ladder match but it quite obscure that WWE glosses over it.

I've seen that ladder match. I thought it was pretty good but it has been a long time since I've seen it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad