Matches that did not live up to the hype

Rexy

May 2, 2012
London, Ontario
I'll also say Mankind vs Undertaker HIAC. The match was basically INSANE HIGH SPOT....ten minutes of nothing....INSANE HIGH SPOT....ten minutes of nothing

Shawn vs Undertaker HIAC was much better IMO

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'll also say Mankind vs Undertaker HIAC. The match was basically INSANE HIGH SPOT....ten minutes of nothing....INSANE HIGH SPOT....ten minutes of nothing

Shawn vs Undertaker HIAC was much better IMO

Shawn/Taker is the greatest HIAC ever, IMO. That, or Taker/Lesnar I.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Shawn/Taker is the greatest HIAC ever, IMO. That, or Taker/Lesnar I.

Shawn/Taker HIAC was excellent. They sold the concept of the match as well as they could.

Foley/HHH is really high for me on HIAC matches.

Know Rock/Hogan was mentioned already but man it deserves it. It's on so many GOAT lists. Why? Ya it was fun with the super hot crowd forcing a double turn during the match, but overall it was as nothing of a match as you can get.

Was a by the books Hogan match but slower because he is old.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Know Rock/Hogan was mentioned already but man it deserves it. It's on so many GOAT lists. Why? Ya it was fun with the super hot crowd forcing a double turn during the match, but overall it was as nothing of a match as you can get.

That is case of more than the match making it special, as a match on it's own it's not that good, but add it the crowd and it's a fun watch.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Shawn/Taker HIAC was great. Amazing match and great story, also the first major Shawn/Taker feud. You literally feared for Shawn's life by the end of it.

In fact I believe this is the HIAC match where Taker cheese grater's Shawn's face on top of the cell, the camerman is below them get blood dripped on the camera and hear him audible saw "aw ****!"

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Triple H vs. Taker w/ HBK as referee inside HIAC at WM28. I thought that match was supremely overrated. People said it was match of the night, and I suppose it was given how atrocious that card was, but I think the HHH/Taker match from the year before was much better.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Triple H vs. Taker w/ HBK as referee inside HIAC at WM28. I thought that match was supremely overrated. People said it was match of the night, and I suppose it was given how atrocious that card was, but I think the HHH/Taker match from the year before was much better.

I think their HIAC was better, but neither of them aged well at all.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I thought both Triple H - Undertaker matches were pretty meh, tbh. I think the only reason why people look back on them positively is because of how terrible the rest of the cards were at both those Manias.

Triple H - Undertaker at Wrestlemania X7 tho. Very underrated, doesn't get talked about much.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

It told a good story, and ya compared to the rest of the card it was better. It gets over hyped though.

Think Taker/Punk was better then both HHH matches, and as far as HIAC goes. Taker/Edge was better IMO.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The second-first HHH/Taker match was about the match, which was fine.

The second one was about the story, which may have supersceded the match but was otherwise still good, in my opinion.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Cena - CM Punk (Money in the Bank) The ending is great, the match is nothing special.

The hot crowd helped make that match. Punk and Cena have had some great matches but the stakes involved and the hometown Chicago crowd for Punk. It was a main event moment for sure.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The hot crowd helped make that match. Punk and Cena have had some great matches but the stakes involved and the hometown Chicago crowd for Punk. It was a main event moment for sure.

A hot crowd into the match always raises the level and the rating. The ending I actually think got a bit muddled, Punk and Cena should have went on for another few minutes.

But it's still a 5-star match to me, and it doesn't happen unless it's that perfect storm. It's not a 5-Star match if that match is anywhere other than Chicago, the crowd just wouldn't have had the same juice.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site

That is my all time favorite match. Noting comes close for me. Only downside was Lawler's godawful commentary ragging about how Punk was betraying the fans.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I re-watched that match not too long ago and completely forgot about Michael Cole's heel phase. And then he turned face for the match.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I re-watched that match not too long ago and completely forgot about Michael Cole's heel phase. And then he turned face for the match.

His heel character was a little strange. He wasn't heel in the sense that he cheered exclusively for heel wrestlers, but instead he was an unapologetic company man. so this put him at odds with Punk who wanted to win the title and then flee the company.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad