Confirmed with Link: Mat Barzal signs 8 Year x $73.2m Extension - $9.15m AAV

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Glad that is done and in the books. The cap should rise in the future to spread out the AAV. Now get the man some wingers!!!

Reactions: SI

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I’m sure there will be complaints about the AAV but this is huge for the Islanders. Despite his production in recent years, Barzal is still the one “big” name on the team and him committing has to improve the Islanders image for future FAs.

Super exciting, and it seems that he didn’t even have to pace around his backyard pool to make this decision.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I’m sure there will be complaints about the AAV but this is huge for the Islanders. Despite his production in recent years, Barzal is still the one “big” name on the team and him committing has to improve the Islanders image for future FAs.

Super exciting, and it seems that he didn’t even have to pace around his backyard pool to make this decision.
I agree, extremely huge for the Isles. Tells the rest of the NHL, we are no longer the team that Tavares walked away from. Tells the NHL that we pay our best players. Hopefully that helps in free agency next year. So tired of coming in 2nd when it comes to the big fish (Tavares, Panarin, Gaudreau). Hopefully we can add some explosive talent.

Just glad it’s done so we don’t have to hear about it, we can move on. Next up, in a few years, locking up Sorokin and Dobson long term.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Very happy with this, the AAV will only look better in time as the cap goes up. This is the norm now, NHL players are starting to get paid.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He was telling the truth!!! My faith in humanity is restored!!!

Fair deal. Outsiders will say point production but the kid is an elite talent and the truth is he’s been playing in a system and role that’s not conducive for points. This deal however means he has to produce and shows he’s the guy we’re counting on.

With the cap going up this is a fair and very manageable deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad