Masterson Trophy Nominees

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It isn't exactly a contest of who's suffered the most. Boyle was diagnosed with cancer and battled through it, spread awareness and is playing a great season. Karlsson very recently had an absolutely horrible thing happen to him and will probably be in a very dark place for a long time. I don't mean that to sound negative at all towards Karlsson. No trophy is just going to better the situation.

Boyle is a great feel good story. Karlsson is a recent unbearably tragic story.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk, just my two cents

agree. i think karlsson is too recent, maybe next year if he has a good year.

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It isn't exactly a contest of who's suffered the most. Boyle was diagnosed with cancer and battled through it, spread awareness and is playing a great season. Karlsson very recently had an absolutely horrible thing happen to him and will probably be in a very dark place for a long time. I don't mean that to sound negative at all towards Karlsson. No trophy is just going to better the situation.

Well said. These are my thoughts as well

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
To make the voting process easier for y'all, here are the different categories you will be choosing your favourite from.

The "hey, I guess my linemate is pretty good!" category:

Bailey
Brown

The "so, you stayed afloat for one more year" category:

Polak
Smith-Pelly
Stajan
Borowiecki

The "WTF are you and where did you come from?" category:

Hunt
Glass

The "Oh f***." category: (absolutely no disrespect intended)

Okposo
Staal
Boyle
Kreider
Dorsett
Myers
(HM Karlsson and Pietrangelo)

The "Old Guy Without a Cup institution" category:

Thornton
Luongo

The "Old Guy With a Cup institution" category:

Cullen

The "and so HFBoards was proven wrong once again" category:

Letang
Stamkos
Giroux

The "I think we are way too young to be nominated here" category:

Werenski
Chychrun

The "I have no clue as to why you are nominated for this" category:

Janmark-Nylen
Larsson
Watson
Backes

The "Scott Darling 2.0" category:

Hutton

The "recovery from abysmal to awful" category:

Niemi

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
This.
Bsides - would you really want to win a trophy because your unborn kid died?
Sure it's about preserverance, good game etc. etc... To me, getting that trophy under those circumstances would feel absolutely awful. I'd decline it, give it to the runner-up or toss it in the dumpster.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
This.
Sure it's about preserverance, good game etc. etc... To me, getting that trophy under those circumstances would feel absolutely awful. I'd decline it, give it to the runner-up or toss it in the dumpster.
"Hey your kid died, here's a trophy for that"

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Letang is the Penguins' nominee, he had neck surgery and had similar issues that caused Peyton Manning to retire. He has played in 73 of 76 games for the Penguins this year, he's approaching his first healthy season since 2010-2011.

but does he have as much value as brad marchand

snag

Feb 22, 2014
This.

Agreed. Additionally....we don't really know how he will respond. The response to adversity is what the trophy is about. The handful of games is too small of a sample and at this point awarding the trophy would be completely insensitive.

Next year, when they have had their chance to grieve and he has a season behind him, I would say sure. But right now? Inappropriate on too many levels.

That said, I can't fathom how he feels. I know I was terrified until I heard the cry...but that certainly can't compare to not :(

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
To make the voting process easier for y'all, here are the different categories you will be choosing your favourite from.

Janmark-Nylen
Larsson
Watson
Backes

Janmark missed the entire last season due to injury and made the return this year. Larsson's father passed away unexpectedly this season while visiting his son in Edmonton.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Has to be Niemi, he has been victimized by people hating on him and trashing his entire career. He came back when most fans wanted him to fail to keep the joke going on and no-one was rooting for him. The person who gets no sympathy is the most deserving for a trophy about perservance.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

Janmark-Nylen

He missed all 82 games last season with a rare bone condition(afaik he's the first NHL player to ever have this condition), had two knee surgeries and was doubtful to ever play again. And now he has 19g 34p in 76 games this year.

This is an excellent article about his entire recovery process. I'd recommend for anyone to read it even if they aren't a Janmark or Stars fan. Gives a really interesting look into what it's like for players with serious injuries and uncertain futures.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018

Agreed. You don't sound like a jerk, that's just the way it is.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

The "hey, I guess my linemate is pretty good!" category:

Bailey
Brown

The "so, you stayed afloat for one more year" category:

Polak
Smith-Pelly
Stajan
Borowiecki

The "WTF are you and where did you come from?" category:

Hunt
Glass

The "Oh ****." category: (absolutely no disrespect intended)

Okposo
Staal
Boyle
Kreider
Dorsett
Myers
(HM Karlsson and Pietrangelo)

The "Old Guy Without a Cup institution" category:

Thornton
Luongo

The "Old Guy With a Cup institution" category:

Cullen

The "and so HFBoards was proven wrong once again" category:

Letang
Stamkos
Giroux

The "I think we are way too young to be nominated here" category:

Werenski
Chychrun

Janmark-Nylen
Larsson
Watson
Backes

The "Scott Darling 2.0" category:

Hutton

The "recovery from abysmal to awful" category:

Niemi
Backes had ten inches of his colon removed earlier this season. Supposed to miss two months, only missed one. I can't find the recent article where he described his recovery in more detail than I really needed, but suffice to say, it sounded extremely unpleasant.

This award generally makes me uncomfortable because it feels like it just tries to quantify pain and suffering. I know that isn't the true intent of the award, but that's the way the voting tends to come across to me. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad