Proposal: Mason Raymond Update: Attending Toronto Camp on PTO

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Assumptions:
- He would be had cheap (1 year at 1-1.5 million)
- He would be brought in as a depth role (much like Ebbett/Tambellini were)

Raymond has yet to sign with an NHL team, and may end up going the PTO route.
If he was willing to come back to Vancouver for cheap, and fill a depth role would you be fine with MG giving him a contract?

You could use him as the 12th forward, and swap in Sestito for tougher games.

Last edited:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I'd much rather bring in Prospal, who we can sign to a bonus-laden contract (allowing us to spend over the cap).
He can play on the wing or center, and he has experience playing under Torts.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Nah I am fine.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Sestito-Richardson-Weise

There is really no room for him and well I just think its time to move on and adapt to a new system. But hey when 2015 or 2016 comes watch out people the Canucks are gonna be dangerous once again.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Nah I am fine.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Not saying I particularly want Raymond back... but I really do not want Tom Sestito as anything more than a 13th forward...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No. This team needs improvements, not the same roster that's been a proven failure. Though so far we haven't seen any improvements, but at least there's potential for improvements.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
While I love the patented skate down the wing and then button hook and pass the puck to no one move, it's time to move on. My TV can't take the abuse anymore from me yelling at it. :)
Besides we need to improve and I'd rather see a young guy given a shot. Raymond is what he is. A useful player but not likely to improve.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I didnt mind him honestly, but not for the money he is looking for. So unless he signs an incredible cheap deal, i dont want him. With his departure that might open up a slot for someone else. Short before the season opener there might be still some solid forward available via UFA who is willing to sign a cheap 1y deal.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
No. This team needs improvements, not the same roster that's been a proven failure. Though so far we haven't seen any improvements, but at least there's potential for improvements.

Agree. not in the sense that he isn't good enough.

but more so that you need new blood, a new voice in this locker room.

Also agree with the Vinny Prospal acquisition. Would rather have him as the insurance policy, and then give the prospects a chance. Maybe he can play the press box rotating chairs, come in and play 40 games

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

Besides we need to improve and I'd rather see a young guy given a shot. Raymond is what he is. A useful player but not likely to improve.

The general thought is to bring him in to replace Andrew Ebbetts spot in the roster (depth, insurance type player).

Bring him in as a 10-12 minute guy who can be a healthy scratch when needed.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Agree. not in the sense that he isn't good enough.

but more so that you need new blood, a new voice in this locker room.

Also agree with the Vinny Prospal acquisition. Would rather have him as the insurance policy, and then give the prospects a chance. Maybe he can play the press box rotating chairs, come in and play 40 games

I have doubts he signs somewhere that won't guarantee him a regular roster spot/top-6 ice time

King of the ES*

For $1 - $1.5M? Absolutely. This is a proven NHL player who's 28 years old. He's good for 15 - 20 goals, and he brings speed, a pretty critical element.

Raymond had 22 points last year, Higgins had 15. Raymond was a +2, Higgins a -4. Raymond is 28, Higgins is 30. Yet the majority of users on this forum are lauding our management team for giving Higgins a 4-year, $10M deal, with a limited NTC, while also not being interested in signing Raymond to a 1-year, $1.5M deal? Huh?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Would love him back @ 1.5 mill, I just don't think he will take it. I still firmly believe that he will get 3 mill elsewhere

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I have doubts he signs somewhere that won't guarantee him a regular roster spot/top-6 ice time

I'd start him with Kesler and Burrows on the 2nd line, move Booth to the 4th line with Santorelli (try to rekindle the chemistry from Booth's 30 goal season) and Richardson.

Tell him that if wants to keep on playing in the top 6 he needs to outplay Higgins, Hansen, and Booth.

arsmaster*

NO THANKS.

BEST FOR ALL INVOLVED TO MOVE ON.

Capitals because I mean it.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I'd start him with Kesler and Burrows on the 2nd line, move Booth to the 4th line with Santorelli (try to rekindle the chemistry from Booth's 30 goal season) and Richardson.

Tell him that if wants to keep on playing in the top 6 he needs to outplay Higgins, Hansen, and Booth.

Fair enough, I have always been a fan of Prospal (due to his playmaking ability on the wing), I just worry about his price-tag and I don't know if hes a great fit.

- Outside of his passing ability, he doesn't bring much to a Kesler/Burrows line (imo)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad