Prospect Info: Mason Marchment

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
He's only played a single game this pre-season; he's 24, brings an element of physicality that's sorely lacking in our top 9, and plays LW, which should have him in the mix for 4LW.

But yet Mirtle has him on the Marlies already in his "Mirtle: Projecting the 23 players who will survive the Maple Leafs final cuts" piece on the Athletic yesterday, with no mention of his play at all.

What gives?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He hasn't stood out enough in terms of skill level I imagine and he's also not a good skater at all. He's had some tough injuries in the past couple seasons too.

He's been really good for the Marlies overall though. I would put him among favourites to be called up if the Leafs need a LW. He needs to keep working hard and he'll get his shot.

Don't forget that Dubas and Keefe developed him quite a bit and they both have spoken highly of him on many occasions. They know what he can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
What spot is he taking at this point? Spezza, Goat and Moore are 4th line locks. Theres no spots in the top 9 either. Marchment, Bracco, Korshkov etc have to force the hand of the coaches and management to take jobs away. They havent done that. If this team was garbage like in years past, I'd see your point.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
What spot is he taking at this point? Spezza, Goat and Moore are 4th line locks. Theres no spots in the top 9 either. Marchment, Bracco, Korshkov etc have to force the hand of the coaches and management to take jobs away. They havent done that. If this team was garbage like in years past, I'd see your point.

I'm not so sure that 4LW is a lock; Moore will be playing up in the lineup, at least until Hyman is back.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He's only played a single game this pre-season; he's 24, brings an element of physicality that's sorely lacking in our top 9, and plays LW, which should have him in the mix for 4LW.

But yet Mirtle has him on the Marlies already in his "Mirtle: Projecting the 23 players who will survive the Maple Leafs final cuts" piece on the Athletic yesterday, with no mention of his play at all.

What gives?

There's at least a half dozen players ahead of him on the depth chart who are also ticketed to the Marlies.

He's not a nothing prospect but I'd like see him play a near injury free season in the A first.

A lot of things can change over the course of a season. Who knows?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm not so sure that 4LW is a lock; Moore will be playing up in the lineup, at least until Hyman is back.
Theres also Petan as well hence the etc. I like Marchment but hes just way down the depth chart at this point in time. Theres just too many more skilled guys in line before him. Dubas isnt going with a traditional type of lineup. A guy like Moore makes the team off grit and skill like Marchand, not off of grit alone.

Reactions: qqaz

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I want the kid on the big club but he's built to be a grinder on a skilled line. Our 4th line doesnt have that dynamic with goat and old version of spezza and unfortunately we dont have any room for him up top. I think he will make it to the NHL one day. Not sure it will be with the Leafs however.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
There's at least a half dozen players ahead of him on the depth chart who are also ticketed to the Marlies.

He's not a nothing prospect but I'd like see him play a near injury free season in the A first.

A lot of things can change over the course of a season. Who knows?

And there very well may be players ahead of them, but he's only played a single game in the preseason. It's not whether he makes it or not, it's the fact that he's not even apparently in the running. I don't recall him having a terrible preseason game either, so it's not like he was a clear-cut disaster that changed their mind instantly.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

What gives?

He's not NHL ready or anywhere close to as good as people make him out to be.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A lot of competition compared to the relatively few amount of spots available. No NHL experience to this point as well, and doesn't require (clearing) waivers as a Timashov would.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
At his best he is a 4th line guy, just a guy.

Petan, Aberg, Agostino, Gaudete, Korshkov, Timashov, Bracco, Engvall, Shore and probably Archibald and Wilson are all ahead of him in the race for a 4th line wing job .

He is a low value asset if there ever was one. WAY down the depth charts.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He's tougher than a lot of Leaf wingers, yes, but it should be emphasized that he isn't all that tough. It would be ugly if he were expected to fight one of the few remaining true tough guys in the league. He's really not much of a fighter. He'll willingly collide with some bodies though. It already looks like Babcock and Dubas are more intrigued by Korshkov for this sort of role than Marchment. I'm not sure I agree with that yet but wish to be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We were hoping the Leafs would have enough speed and grit in the 3rd and 4th lines like the contending teams. Time will tell, but it doesn’t look like they’ll start the season that way.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
He's tougher than a lot of Leaf wingers, yes, but it should be emphasized that he isn't all that tough. It would be ugly if he were expected to fight one of the few remaining true tough guys in the league. He's really not much of a fighter. He'll willingly collide with some bodies though. It already looks like Babcock and Dubas are more intrigued by Korshkov for this sort of role than Marchment. I'm not sure I agree with that yet but wish to be pleasantly surprised.
Yah either or could be good overall.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
At his best he is a 4th line guy, just a guy.

Petan, Aberg, Agostino, Gaudete, Korshkov, Timashov, Bracco, Engvall, Shore and probably Archibald and Wilson are all ahead of him in the race for a 4th line wing job .

He is a low value asset if there ever was one. WAY down the depth charts.
I'm not sure how many of those guys are actually ahead of him. Given his usage in pre-season there is no doubt he is an injured body, if not he would be more heavily used. Other guys are just getting an opportunity and doing well while he is out.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Agreed.. not a strong fighter and he's more lanky than "thick". Babcock likes his players to be "thick" especially the tall ones or those that are puck retrievers more than rely on skill. Marchment although tall and a willing physical combatant... he's skinny, not particularly fast and a poor fighter.

Hyman, korshkov, Mikheyev, Gauthier are above him on the depth chart for the few positions that Babcock has allocated for puck retrieval types.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad