Lapland
at least 65 of them will be johnston's
Marchment: 82 games: 40 G 35 A
Wyatt Johnston: 82 games: 65 G 55 A
Tyler Sequin:
1657755106518.png

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Loved this dude with the Panthers, really bummed to see him go. One of the few guys on the Panthers who really knew how to "play the right way" with his tool set. He will ofc throw big hits, agitate opposing players, draw calls, etc. but can score at a high rate too if given skilled linemates. Because of his fire ball style of play, he will get injured or at very least will carry lingering, minor injuries.
The big risk for you guys is that his last season was a very lucky one and he'll never score +60pts in a season, and he continues to spend significant time at the sickbay.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
so as a Florida fan I think this is a fair deal. Some thoughts:
(1) His offensive numbers were padded this year next to Lundell and Reinhart. He was feasting on lower quality match ups. Moreover, earlier I ran the numbers and it came that something like half of his points came when Florida was up by at least two goals.
(2) Great physical presence who makes space for his teammates. In the 2021 playoffs, Q played him on the top line with Barky for a reason.
(3) He is a bit fragile. Missed parts of the playoffs when we needed him and has missed a good bit of time
(4) Rarely makes stupid mistakes but I do fear his defensive analytics were driven by usage. He averaged less than a second of penalty kill time while Lundell led the team for forwards.

I think the deal is fair but don’t except the same pace (hence why he is making less than 5M)

Reactions: Captain Awesome

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
so as a Florida fan I think this is a fair deal. Some thoughts:
(1) His offensive numbers were padded this year next to Lundell and Reinhart. He was feasting on lower quality match ups. Moreover, earlier I ran the numbers and it came that something like half of his points came when Florida was up by at least two goals.
(2) Great physical presence who makes space for his teammates. In the 2021 playoffs, Q played him on the top line with Barky for a reason.
(3) He is a bit fragile. Missed parts of the playoffs when we needed him and has missed a good bit of time
(4) Rarely makes stupid mistakes but I do fear his defensive analytics were driven by usage. He averaged less than a second of penalty kill time while Lundell led the team for forwards.

I think the deal is fair but don’t except the same pace (hence why he is making less than 5M)

Think it's reasonable to expect at or above 20+20 (40 points) out of him? Stars said he's gonna see powerplay time and he will be in the top 6, and if I had to guess, he's gonna spend a lott of time around the net in DeBoer's system which relies on deflections and rebound goals a lot just like the Stars did last year (and I noticed a chunk of his goals come from right around the crease this past season). Hoping that he learns a thing or 2 from Pavelski in particular.

At $4.5m I'm definitely not expecting a 70-point pace like he had this past season, but anything above 40 would be great and exactly what this team needs.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Think it's reasonable to expect at or above 20+20 (40 points) out of him? Stars said he's gonna see powerplay time and he will be in the top 6, and if I had to guess, he's gonna spend a lott of time around the net in DeBoer's system which relies on deflections and rebound goals a lot just like the Stars did last year (and I noticed a chunk of his goals come from right around the crease this past season). Hoping that he learns a thing or 2 from Pavelski in particular.

At $4.5m I'm definitely not expecting a 70-point pace like he had this past season, but anything above 40 would be great and exactly what this team needs.
I’d say 45 points over 82 games but with no clear breakdown between assists and goals. His goal scoring wasn’t something that stood out per se

i also would encourage the fans to be understanding if he starts slow: the tragic passing of his father must be terrible.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'm really starting to worry about his injury history. I'm totally fine taking a $4.5 million gamble on a healthy Mason Marchment. But if you're expecting him to miss 20-30 games a year, that number starts to look a lot worse.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I'm really starting to worry about his injury history. I'm totally fine taking a $4.5 million gamble on a healthy Mason Marchment. But if you're expecting him to miss 20-30 games a year, that number starts to look a lot worse.
More like expecting him to miss 30-50 games a year.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Imagine him stuck on a line with Faksa and Glendening. 30 points would be a challenge.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
This is exactly the hope of swing I wanted the Stars to take this offseason. 60 point potential and plays like a physical beast is pretty rare. Term isn’t awful and lines up pretty well with some other money coming off the books. Nice move by Nill.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Also you gotta assume the Patches trade was the backfall plan in case Marchment wouldn't sign with the Canes ? Don't see how they'd sign Marchment and make that trade .

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I hadn't realized Marchment got a NMC (with 10 team no trade with), and a slightly front loaded deal with a bit of signing bonus money on the back end. That is really player friendly, great job by his agent.

Makes it a lot tougher to trade or buyout and impossible to burry in minors should the deal go south. I'm a fan of the player, but I like this deal less now then when it was announced. I'm all for risks, but you have to protect your downside better than this. Especially for a guy who might be injury prone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad