Confirmed with Link: Mason Marchment signed to a 4-year, $4.5m AAV contract

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
I hadn't realized Marchment got a NMC (with 10 team no trade with), and a slightly front loaded deal with a bit of signing bonus money on the back end. That is really player friendly, great job by his agent.

Makes it a lot tougher to trade or buyout and impossible to burry in minors should the deal go south. I'm a fan of the player, but I like this deal less now then when it was announced. I'm all for risks, but you have to protect your downside better than this. Especially for a guy who might be injury prone.
We all know Nill gives out NMC like they are candy...

Reactions: Elysian

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I hadn't realized Marchment got a NMC (with 10 team no trade with), and a slightly front loaded deal with a bit of signing bonus money on the back end. That is really player friendly, great job by his agent.

Makes it a lot tougher to trade or buyout and impossible to burry in minors should the deal go south. I'm a fan of the player, but I like this deal less now then when it was announced. I'm all for risks, but you have to protect your downside better than this. Especially for a guy who might be injury prone.

Full NMC is just the first season where we won't trade him anyway . Afterwards he has a NTC with 10 teams he can't be moved to . After the first season he could be waived and send down. Just a modified NTC after the first year

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost of Kyiv

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

Still better than what he's handed out before at least. I'm never too worried about not being able to bury a player since most of the time the million you save doesn't really help since a player has to replace the roster spot, and more than likely it will be a downgrade from the guy you buried.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Still better than what he's handed out before at least. I'm never too worried about not being able to bury a player since most of the time the million you save doesn't really help since a player has to replace the roster spot, and more than likely it will be a downgrade from the guy you buried.
Yeah, it's more about the threat of it. "You no longer have a roster spot so you better waive the NTC and go to Arizona or you're being sent to the AHL." Happy to hear it becomes a modified no trade, gives them an extra out.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I feel like a lot of Stars fans are trying hard to convince themselves this is a good move.

It's a pretty massive question mark for me and I'm going to stay bearish because Benn and Seguin are two of the worst contracts in the NHL right now. I'm pretty confident in telling you guys that Mason Marchment won't fix that.
All-time W here

Reactions: The Tourist

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I hope he doesn't hit 20. Or even 15. Or 10. Cause I want him in Cedar Park. He f***ing sucks.
In either scenario he's going to count 4m against the cap.
Either he's in Texas and we have a 3.2m cap hit from the buried salary + whoever replaces him
Or he plays well enough that his 4.5m doesn't look horrible.

Best case scenario is trading him, which gets a lot harder if he's not producing

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I mean, they eventually had to jettison Ott and Roussel when they started negatively affecting the outcome of games. Are we there yet? Unsure.

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
I can tolerate mistakes... floating... penalties where you're taking the initiative or trying to negate the opponent...

But I can't tolerate stupid selfish nonsense that you don't (or can't) learn from.
I hate when he takes lazy penalties 200ft from our net. He'll be in on the forecheck, their defenseman beats him outside with speed, and Marchment trips or hooks the shit outta him for no reason

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Remember how nasty his first goal was in Nashville, it's been all downhill since then

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Did score a nice playoff goal which pretty much broke the Wilds season ..

But yeh just is in no man's land with his play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad