Movies: Marvel/DC Crossover - Would it ever happen and what would it look like?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This would undoubtedly be a huge cash cow, might gross over 2B worldwide. But would either studio do it? And what would it look like? One movie, or a series? Would you watch it?

Marvel would probably be less inclined to do it, but there would be some pretty strong monetary and creative motivations to do it.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Imagine magneto just taking away Batmans bat-belt. Welp… I guess Batman is rendered useless.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The Marvel/DC Crossovers were some of my favorite comics.

The problem is like the comics, neither company will want to be seen as inferior to the other.

So until they merge into a single company, I think the best way for this to happen is an animated series.

justice-league-vs-avengers.jpg

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I had a Superman & Spider-Man team up comic once, where they fought Parasite and Doctor Doom, I think.

I always wanted that to become a movie. Fewer characters is better.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Eh. Just have Aquaman come out of a Dr. strange portal. Spiderman can ask him his name and he will say Aquaman and Spidey can say that's lame, let's call you Namor.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Disney should buy DC just to show Marvel kicking DC’s ass on screen too and then never touch DC again ;)

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
If you weren't there 45 years ago, you probaby have no idea what a historic moment it was for DC and Marvel Comics to agree to bring their two biggest heroes — Superman and Spider-Man — together in one adventure.

Given the task to do so was writer Gerry Conway and artist Ross Andru, who together presented a tale in which the two heroes, having initially battled each other, find that they need to work together to take down the combined villainy of Lex Luthor and Doc Ock.

In this episode of the
Voices From Krypton podcast, we sit down with Gerry to discuss how it all came together and why it was such a big deal.

SUPERMAN VS. SPIDER-MAN: On The Voices From Krypton Podcast, Gerry Conway Remembers This Crossover Event

Reactions: Roman Fell

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
At some point, studio execs will want to chase the dragon and attempt to make something that will gross more than Endgame.

A Marvel vs DC crossover is probably the only thing that has a chance to do that.

Personally I don't want to see it happen though, unless it's just a one-off movie instead of a part of a larger franchise.

I'd love to see a Batman vs. Spawn movie though.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
At some point, studio execs will want to chase the dragon and attempt to make something that will gross more than Endgame.

A Marvel vs DC crossover is probably the only thing that has a chance to do that.

I'd think it'd be perceived as more of a gimmick than anything else. A desperate attempt to get buts in seats. Isn't that was the comic was in the first place? Marvel and DC both were struggling so they did a crossover.

I also don't think Superman makes for any sort of compelling crossover story, be it VS Marvel or even with the Justice League, just because he's already so powerful that any issues presented in the story for the characters seem like they could easily be solved by Superman.

"Oh no, Dr. Doom, Lex Luther, and Magneto are stirring shit up??? What on earth will our heroes do!?"...and then superman just flies faster than sound with his bullet-proof skin and takes all three of them out in 4 seconds

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Punisher kills Joker. Happens fairly quickly too lol.

Joker revels in talking and making heroes think and is downright brilliant but the punisher would just shoot him and the joker is incapable of dealing with that level of directness.

They actually had that crossover once and batman had to save joker

Reactions: Jussi

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The Marvel/DC Crossovers were some of my favorite comics.

The problem is like the comics, neither company will want to be seen as inferior to the other.

So until they merge into a single company, I think the best way for this to happen is an animated series.

justice-league-vs-avengers.jpg

They don't need to approach it that way. It could be like a Batman vs. Superman setup; DC and Marvel fight each other and then team up to fight a common enemy where neither side ends up losing.

People were probably saying Mario and Sonic wouldn't be in games together in the 90s either. Now we have them going to the Olympics together and Sonic being in multiple Smash Bros games.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They don't need to approach it that way. It could be like a Batman vs. Superman setup; DC and Marvel fight each other and then team up to fight a common enemy where neither side ends up losing.

People were probably saying Mario and Sonic wouldn't be in games together in the 90s either. Now we have them going to the Olympics together and Sonic being in multiple Smash Bros games.

I think the issue is that when people say "neither side wants to look weaker than the other", it's often assumed that applies to the heroes only - when it actually applies to the villains as well.

Will either side be able to stomach a hero from the other side defeating a villain from their side? Because that's the only way to make this movie worthwhile.

I think this will eventually happen though, just because of what someone said earlier here. Studios will want to chase the dragon and make something that grosses more than Endgame.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I think the issue is that when people say "neither side wants to look weaker than the other", it's often assumed that applies to the heroes only - when it actually applies to the villains as well.

Will either side be able to stomach a hero from the other side defeating a villain from their side? Because that's the only way to make this movie worthwhile.

I think this will eventually happen though, just because of what someone said earlier here. Studios will want to chase the dragon and make something that grosses more than Endgame.

Bring in a third party comic series that doesn't take itself seriously for the villain. Hell, I'd pay to see a TMNT + Marvel + DC mash up with Shredder and Crane as the villains. I don't care how dumb it would be.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Bring in a third party comic series that doesn't take itself seriously for the villain. Hell, I'd pay to see a TMNT + Marvel + DC mash up with Shredder and Crane as the villains. I don't care how dumb it would be.

Marvel vs. DC vs. Akuma ;)

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

You can! Batman VS TMNT + Shredder already happened. It was an animated movie...

p16705952_v_v8_aa.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad