Marty Walsh VS Harry Smith VS Harry Trihey

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Here's a new debate I've been thinking about, I'm really trying to get a grasp on some of the late 1800's & early 1900's stars. I know Harry Trihey was good but he only played 3 seasons. He seems to get talked about a lot in hockey history books in such so I'm assuming he was one of the most dominant players of his time. After researching some stats I found out just how good Harry Smith was. How do you see these players ranked?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Marty Walsh: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=24856640&postcount=143

Harry Smith: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=18692652&postcount=60

Harry Trihey is not a player I've created a bio for in the past. The reports on him are that he was a skilled offensive player who was the brains behind his Shamrock line with Art Farrell and Fred Scanlan. Very little is known beyond that. He outscored his linemates by huge margins, yet, they still made the HHOF along with him. You could say that this means he elevated them, or it could mean the HHOF recognizes that they did a lot of the dirty work which allowed him to score a lot (and the team to win a lot) - In any case, Trihey's career was very, very short. Even by the standards of that era.

My first choice would be Marty Walsh, for the reasons outlined in your last thread. My second choice would be Harry Smith. He was a dominant scorer in every league he played in, like Tommy Smith, but like Tommy, he played in some lesser leagues which reduces his luster. Also, his lack of a HHOF induction is a question mark. We were given some quotes during ATD12 with pretty scathing remarks about his all-around play and his work ethic. Seems the guy was only there to score goals and start trouble. Still, an 11-year period of scoring dominance and physical intimidation is pretty strong. I can't see myself not taking him over Harry Trihey, who seems to have been a pure scorer and whose career was only 1/3 as long. I was pretty sure back then, that Harry Smith was the star of AA10, now I know for sure. The spot in which you selected him in ATD12 is much more appropriate.

If I had to rank all the players you've asked about recently, I would go as follows:

Marty Walsh (for reasons already described. The guy was probably almost as good as Tommy Phillips, but a center)
Ernie Russell (just as good a scorer as Walsh, similarly short, bright career, scrappy sparkplug, not as revered as his teammates, less known about playmaking and defense)
Tommy Smith (can score as well as the above or better, but little known about the rest of his game. poor playmaker)
Alf Smith (the offense of the above players is too strong to ignore, but Alf is Mr. Intangibles)
Harry Smith (described above)
Harry Trihey (described above)

If I was to create an all-time list that went deep into the hundreds and used all the usual criteria such as peak, career value, team success, overall game, impact, ect, I might rank Marty Walsh 250th, Russell/T.Smith/A.Smith 300th, Harry Smith about 400th, and Harry Trihey about 450th based on what is currently known about these players.

Last edited:

avs1986

Feb 2, 2010
:bow:we are not worthy of your superior hockey knowledge seventieslord...hahaha. Really though, i am impressed with your knowledge of the game

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00