Marty-Cory Debate Camp Part VII: Enter at your own risk

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Previous Edition: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1622529

Continue....

*** Mod Note ***

Tired of this endless and pointless circular thread? Click on the IGNORE THREAD option on the far right of the title [x] -- or if you lack the willpower to stay away ask to be threadbanned and a Mod will do you the favor and it will all go away like a bad dream.

- Keep it civil, there will be zero tolerance for flaming, offensive language or any other blatant violations of standard board rules. No official warnings. This is your warning.

- This discussion starts and ends here. GDTs are for game day, pre-game, in game and post game banter. Any poster/posts identified as possibly trying to incite the Marty vs Cory in a GDT, will be infracted. Repeat offenders beware.

- Of course Marty and Cory can be discussed as individual players as they pertain to the team in the General Team discussion thread. But do not debate there their situation, bring it here.

- If you think another poster is trolling, report the post. Publicly calling another poster a "troll" is considered flaming. Note that having a different opinion is not trolling.

Whether you're a Marty backer or Cory fanatic, just don't forget you are all still NJ Devils fans, as we all are and the success of either player leads to the success of our favorite team. And if all else fails, just be cool man/woman, be cool.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Right now it seems to have morphed into a whether all goalies are a dime a dozen argument lol.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Marty playing a Phoenix ... LOLOLOLOL

Hear that ? That's the sound of out almost no existent playoff hopes hitting the bottom of the trash can .. Deboer is a joke

Let's play a below average goalie over one of the better goalies in the NHL

Marty will just complain and get a start anyway .. What a joke . He needs to leave at the end of the year . Don't want him back period . I don't care if he will pay us to play

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I had to double check to see if we were playing a back-to-back on Friday after the Coyotes game, but nope. I get Marty played really well against the Rags but if wins were the deciding factor in who starts as they were before, then Schneider should start no? I still believe in Marty and think he'll play well against Phoenix, it's more up to the players in front of him that will decide the game, but still it's a head-scratching move (big shocker) by Deboer.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I had to double check to see if we were playing a back-to-back on Friday after the Coyotes game, but nope. I get Marty played really well against the Rags but if wins were the deciding factor in who starts as they were before, then Schneider should start no? I still believe in Marty and think he'll play well against Phoenix, it's more up to the players in front of him that will decide the game, but still it's a head-scratching move (big shocker) by Deboer.

Head scratching ???

Its a ****ing Pejorative Slured move by Deboer

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia

Hear that ? That's the sound of out almost no existent playoff hopes hitting the bottom of the trash can .. Deboer is a joke

Marty will just complain and get a start anyway .. What a joke . He needs to leave at the end of the year . Don't want him back period . I don't care if he will pay us to play

Marty has played well since the break, no denying that BUT when it was about winning games, people were willing to look past him giving up 4-5 goals a game (1 or 2 of which were softies) because he was "winning" and Cory who was giving up a goal or two a game and not winning didn't satisfy others and Pete since its all about "the wins," Now, the roles have been in reverse the past week or two with Cory being the one winning and giving up 2,3,4 goals a game and Marty losing the tough ones.

Was it truly about "winning?" Because if so, why isn't Cory the one in net Thursday and here on out since he's the one "winning?"

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Pete has started Marty about 20 more times than I would have started him this year. It is Pete's job on the line so I don't even care anymore.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Mory Schneideur said:
Right, but this is how ridiculous some of the Cory crowd and their incessant "Cory has to play all the games!" crap is right now....

Marty has allowed 13 GA in his last 5 GP, is 2-3. Had 2 Games where he allowed 1GA in that stretch.
Cory had allowed 20 GA in his last 5 GP, is 2-3. Had 1 game where he allowed less than 3GA. The others? 4, 7, 4, 3...

Marty plays one of the best games any goalie on this team has played all season when we lost 2-0 against the Rags, Cory wins a pair if games where we pretty much won in spite of him... Yet people say let's ride the Cory train and bench Marty ... Lol, you can't make this stuff up.

The above has to be one of the most blatantly hypocritical things I've read on this board in a long while...

Mory Schneideur said:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Gee I wish Pete had given Cory that same benefit of the doubt when the offense wasn't scoring for him. You can't deny the double standard now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is another reason why Pete needs to be fired and Marty should not be welcomed back next year. I knew he would **** with the goalie situation. I wish Cory complained publicly like the last time he did the last time Pete pulled this ****.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida

come back here after the game when "below average goalie" stands on his head. This fairy tale about Marty is preposterous - if he hasn't proved that he can still play in the NHL at this point in the season then you're obviously choosing not to look at this objectively.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
come back here after the game when "below average goalie" stands on his head. This fairy tale about Marty is preposterous - if he hasn't proved that he can still play in the NHL at this point in the season then you're obviously choosing not to look at this objectively.

how many times has Marty "stood on his head" for a win this year?

Mory Schneideur*

???

Marty just came off possibly the best performance either goalie has put up all season. You need to chill out with this stuff man.

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !

dont matter marty can have a 55 save shutout thursday and I'll bet some experts here will still complain....it's sad

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
how many times has Marty "stood on his head" for a win this year?

@ Philly two weeks ago is the only one I can think of this season where he was consistently excellent all game, despite the Grossman goal being arguably the worst one we've let in all season.

Other than that he had quite a few "solid" wins and a few games we won in spite of him.

Mory Schneideur*

Marty has played well since the break, no denying that BUT when it was about winning games, people were willing to look past him giving up 4-5 goals a game (1 or 2 of which were softies) because he was "winning" and Cory who was giving up a goal or two a game and not winning didn't satisfy others and Pete since its all about "the wins," Now, the roles have been in reverse the past week or two with Cory being the one winning and giving up 2,3,4 goals a game and Marty losing the tough ones.

Was it truly about "winning?" Because if so, why isn't Cory the one in net Thursday and here on out since he's the one "winning?"

DUDE!!!! The difference is Cory was doing it over a mind numbing amount of games, where even Cory-backers began to question why the hell he couldn't win a game. Rolling with the hot hand means go with the guy who is winning and/or playing better... not go with the guy who got lucky and won 2 games. ITS 2 FREAKING GAMES and you guys are going nuts already. Marty played one of the best games anyone in net for us has played this year last game and we should bench him for the remainder because... Cory "won" a pair of games???? Is this for real? You guys are taking this to such extremes.

The above has to be one of the most blatantly hypocritical things I've read on this board in a long while...

Good job at pulling stuff way out of context, you have an excellent career in the tabloids. When I was saying that Marty was getting us a bunch of wins and Cory was getting us nothing. Now Cory blows and "wins" 2 games and suddenly everyone is gonna go HAM and dig up posts from 6 months ago? Ok then :laugh:

(mod)

Anyways, so Marty is starting... whats the big deal? Why the heck should we roll with a Cory who has been consistently letting in 3-4+ goals since break over Marty who's been rather solid? If you ask me, alternate them. If Cory wins games 7-6 I don't care as long as its a win and if Marty loses 1-0, c'est la vie, but at least we know we can count on him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad