Martin Straka Appreciation Thread

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
I just learned via the main board that Martin Straka retired. He was a childhood hero for people of that era (go 1990s). I think he deserves an appreciation thread, perhaps he might be in the best shape of his life this summer. :yo:

#Straka #Lang #Kovalev #SoGood

Specifically, I was wondering if people could post rare videos of the late 90s/early 2000s teams if you have any. Also, do you think the Penguins will honor him somehow next season? He deserves it.

Main Board Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1634167

straka324122.jpg

Last edited:

Xavier Laflamme*

My favorite player of all time. When I was young (10) I was always drawn to Strakas unbelievable speed. Instantly became my favorite player. My dad bought me his jersey for Christmas and I wore the **** out of that thing. Still have his rookie card on my desk back at my parents house too! That goal when he stole the puck from Gonchar in overtime in the playoffs against the caps and scored on Kolzig brings back my first memory as a child watching hockey where I almost cried because I was so happy.

Cheers Straka.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The KLS line is easily one of my favorite Pens lines of all time. Straka was a breakaway machine back in the day too. So fun to watch. Great career and hope he enjoys his retirement.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
99 Playoff series against top seeded NJ. Was lucky enough to get to a few of those games, he had a heck of a series. I'll always remember him sliding on his butt in Game 7 after scoring the goal that iced it. Marty was a fun player to watch and root for.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hardest working guy I ever saw for this org, maybe excluding Crosby. I remember when he came back to the Pens org, he was basically used as an energy guy and on the PK. He was essentially a journeyman and the Pens were his fourth team team in three years.

He just kept working and buzzing around the ice until he became an all-star player for this team.

One of my favorite all time Pens, up there with Mullen and Barnes.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
He was really unlucky with injuries. Weight machines falling on him, Hedbergs stick to the face....

He will always be one of the players I watched as a kid in what I consider the golden years. I started watching hockey at 7 after the 1993 Cup so these were the years I remember fondly.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Liked him a lot back in the day. I was surprised to find he was still playing, but good for him!

Fire Shero*

I was shocked to see he and nedved were both still playing this season. We were spoiled with those 90 's team.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Congrats to him.

He was a part of two of my favorite all time pens moments. The game 6 goal in the Buffalo series, and the first Hat Trick (Kovalev) I ever witnessed in person against the Rangers in '01.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
My favorite player of all time. When I was young (10) I was always drawn to Strakas unbelievable speed. Instantly became my favorite player. My dad bought me his jersey for Christmas and I wore the **** out of that thing. Still have his rookie card on my desk back at my parents house too! That goal when he stole the puck from Gonchar in overtime in the playoffs against the caps and scored on Kolzig brings back my first memory as a child watching hockey where I almost cried because I was so happy.

Cheers Straka.

I remember that goal. I flipped the **** out. It's one of the reasons I will always love this sport.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Best wishes to Straka on whatever he plans to pursue post-hockey. And congratulations on a long and successful career. Would have loved to see him hit the 1000 game mark but I guess it just wasn't in the cards... obviously. Seeing as how he's been playing overseas for years.

Easily one of my favorite Penguins growing up. Loved the guy's motor, work ethic and talent (remember KLS?).

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
Man, I love to see this thread. Like many others it seems, Straka is one of my favorites Penguins of all time. I loved his speed, his determination, and his attitude in general. He was always a great guy who gave it his all, and he put up some fantastic years here. One of my fondest pieces of Pens memorabilia is this autographed picture I waited in line for a long time to get at the Cranberry Giant Eagle somewhere around '99:

1zpqmaw.jpg

It's not much, but it was my first autograph and it was from my favorite player at the time. He gave us some memorable and meaningful goals, and it's been great to see him have continued success in the Czech Extraliga. Great career, great hockey player, great person. Best of luck to him in whatever he does now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad