Martin Open To Extension

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
How about no.

Seriously, this team has the logjamiest logjam. Even if you don't trade Martin, don't re-sign a 33-34 year old please.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
If we lock Martin up, Letang needs to be put on the market ASAP

If we lock up a soon to be 34 year old defenseman for any length of time, JR needs to be out ASAP.

WTF do we have all these young defensemen for?

Martin is going to get a raise. We should not give it to him.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
If we lock up a soon to be 34 year old defenseman for any length of time, JR needs to be out ASAP.

Especially if the rumors are true that the cap won't go up.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Has to be to meaningless/emptiest article of the year. The fuxk is this? We all know that and of course the Agent will say that , do they really think that the agent or Martin was going to say, I don't want to sign with the Pens etc? Why bother creating an article for it?
It's a cliché, like when a player say that "we have to be better" during the intermission.

Are we in Montreal or I'm missing something?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Of course... Lets sign more mid 30 players to long term contracts. That sounds like the formula for winning!! And make sure they are Dmen on top of that. WE NEED MORE D MEN

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010

Depends on what Martin is looking for. No one knows if he wants to stay, the kind of contract he wants or length. If you can get him on a 2-3 year deal, why not? Im all for trading him now rather than losing him for nothing at the end of the year but if he can be signed to a reasonable contract, then do it. It's not like Martin is falling apart due to a physical brand of hockey. Moving forward, it would be nice to keep 2 of Martin, Letang or Ehrhoff (assuming Scuds is dumped)

I've always been in the trade Letang group so that's part of it.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Depends on what Martin is looking for. No one knows if he wants to stay, the kind of contract he wants or length. If you can get him on a 2-3 year deal, why not? Im all for trading him now rather than losing him for nothing at the end of the year but if he can be signed to a reasonable contract, why not. Moving forward, it would be nice to keep 2 of Martin, Letang or Ehrhoff.

I've always been in the trade Letang group so that's part of it.

Let's be reality here. At 34 years old for his next contract, this is Martin's last opportunity to sign a big deal. He's not signing a 2-3 year deal. Think 5 years minimum. Someone will give it to him. He's going to likely get $6m per. The guy is pretty fragile too.

Let the young horses run.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oddly....sounds like he was waiting to see DB gone and what new coach would come of it. That's just a feeling I get.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
So both parties got to size each other up in a new situation.

Or the Pittsburgh media made something up and then got a generic quote after that, they could get lots of mileage out of this.

penguins2946*

I'm not sure how I feel about this. The Pens will only be re-signing either Ehrhoff or Martin, and I'm not really sure which one of those 2 I want.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I am just going to take the positive spin on this, and say that some measure of openness to talking extension is good, as it means a prospective buyer can do so without considering it a certainty that he will explore UFA in any case. Or it could mean that one could allow a team the option of talking extension with him directly as a condition for a possible trade.

Paulie is a very good D-man, but it would be senseless for us to extend him at market value with our pipeline. Way below... that is something else, but why would he want that?

Michael8771*

There are several rumblings of late that the cap may not go up. And a lot of the elite teams he may have a desire to go to simply won't have the cap room to accommodate him. Here's what I'd do, sign him then trade him. And in doing so I would not give him a full NMC.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not sure how I feel about this. The Pens will only be re-signing either Ehrhoff or Martin, and I'm not really sure which one of those 2 I want.

Obviously it's very early, so there's a lot of season still to play to change my opinion. But to be honest, if the cost will be the same, I'd rather re-sign Martin. I've been underwhelmed by Ehrhoff so far. Granted, he's not being used in a situation he might do well in (1st unit PP). But, overall he's been below what I expected.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Let Paul Martin walk. It could be argued that Scuderi's contract has sealed his fate.

penguins2946*

Obviously it's very early, so there's a lot of season still to play to change my opinion. But to be honest, if the cost will be the same, I'd rather re-sign Martin. I've been underwhelmed by Ehrhoff so far. Granted, he's not being used in a situation he might do well in (1st unit PP). But, overall he's been below what I expected.

I'd sign whichever one would take less years. Both Martin and Ehrhoff have replacements in the system in Harrington and Pouliot that will be ready sooner than later. We can't have either of them for over basically 2 years, because they would be blocking Pouliot or Harrington at that point. In all honesty, if they both want 3+ years, I'd let them both walk and sign a 1 year stopgap. That may be even more realistic if the cap isn't increasing like it is rumored.

I'd guess they would get a stopgap for Pouliot since Harrington is further along in development, so I'd run with the D pairs next year of:

Maatta-Letang
Harrington-Despres
Scuderi-FA stopgap

I also want to see Dumoulin get a shot, and it may not be too unrealistic for him to be the #7 next year. He would probably take over the spot of the FA stopgap by the end of the season.

Michael8771*

Truthfully, if the cap doesn't go up we can't afford to keep either Martin or Ehrhoff. It's gonna be time to let the kids play. Harrington, possibly Dumoulin :)(). Any money we have will be needed for wingers.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd sign whichever one would take less years. Both Martin and Ehrhoff have replacements in the system in Harrington and Pouliot that will be ready sooner than later. We can't have either of them for over basically 2 years, because they would be blocking Pouliot or Harrington at that point. In all honesty, if they both want 3+ years, I'd let them both walk and sign a 1 year stopgap. That may be even more realistic if the cap isn't increasing like it is rumored.

I'd guess they would get a stopgap for Pouliot since Harrington is further along in development, so I'd run with the D pairs next year of:

Maatta-Letang
Harrington-Despres
Scuderi-FA stopgap

I also want to see Dumoulin get a shot, and it may not be too unrealistic for him to be the #7 next year. He would probably take over the spot of the FA stopgap by the end of the season.

Where'd Bortuzzo go?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Especially if the rumors are true that the cap won't go up.

If the league and teams sell ads on their jerseys as expected, I think that falls into the revenue that gets divided up, so while the expectation is the cap wont go up from TV deals or attendance, that may give it a bump... IIRC the only time a cap didn't go up in any of the major sports was when it was unnaturally held in place, as the NHL did a couple years back and the NFL did for a few years recently. That has to be bargained for so I don't think a static cap is as likely as some think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad