Confirmed with Link: Martin Jones Re-Signs, Two-Year Contract

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
After seeing what Bartosak can do, I was thinking the Kings would be fine without Martin Jones. Maybe Jones saw the performance last night and got scared. LoL

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
After seeing what Bartosak can do, I was thinking the Kings would be fine without Martin Jones. Maybe Jones saw the performance last night and got scared. LoL

That was quite the impressive performance by Bartosak. I hope he keeps it up and has another strong year in Red Deer.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Was stupid of him to be holding out for whatever reason. LA's not just going to let him walk for nothing, and he's not good enough for someone to offer him a RFA bid that LA wouldn't match. All he did was give LA reason to bring in Garon for a look and give more pipe time for Bartosak. This is the year that is make or break for him, he needs to get catch up fast. The backup job is his next year if LA elects to not keep Scribbles, he needs to have a great season, not sit at home waiting for a few more dollars or whatever the issue was. Should have been signed whenever LA offered him his qualifier.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Was stupid of him to be holding out for whatever reason. LA's not just going to let him walk for nothing, and he's not good enough for someone to offer him a RFA bid that LA wouldn't match. All he did was give LA reason to bring in Garon for a look and give more pipe time for Bartosak.

I wouldn't call it stupid until we hear the exact contract terms. He could have simply been angling for a one way contract in year 2 like Jake Allen's deal (although probably something closer to the league minimum). Jones missed a couple days of training camp which isn't a huge problem. Maybe I missed it, but was there any indication of what the Kings had been offering?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I wouldn't call it stupid until we hear the exact contract terms. He could have simply been angling for a one way contract in year 2 like Jake Allen's deal (although probably something closer to the league minimum). Jones missed a couple days of training camp which isn't a huge problem. Maybe I missed it, but was there any indication of what the Kings had been offering?

The Mayor reported that Jones wanted a one year deal, and the Kings wanted two years.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

He has zero ground to stand on for a one-way deal in year two, assuming that was an issue he pushed for. I'd assume that if his agent is worth a lick of salt, he likely advised Jones of that as well. DL's done that in the past, presumably Cliché is on a one-way deal this year. That doesn't mean he'll get one and frankly, Jones et al. should have came off that soapbox, or whatever their stance was, a long time back. You don't make to many demands without leverage.

The Kings are required to offer Jones a minimum of a 10% raise on a contract as part of the CBA, so they had to be offering at least $577,500 (I believe he was making the league minimum last year) per year.

He should have came to terms in mid-August at the latest.

And missing a couple days of camp can have a huge impact. Not only is he a few reps off everyone in shaking the rust, the delay forced the Kings to give all the net time in the Frozen Fury to other goalies, and the Kings also brought in Garon who now is additional competition potentially. He gained nothing from this.

The Mayor reported that Jones wanted a one year deal, and the Kings wanted two years.

One year makes sense for Jones, but again, what leg does he have to stand on? He could hold out or go to Europe, but the odds the Kings were going to back down is remote. His only hope was Quick or Scribbles gets hurt, and hurt long-term at that. And even that went down the tubes when the Kings brought in Garon.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Thanks, I'm kinda curious why Jones would have wanted a one year deal.

He has zero ground to stand on for a one-way deal in year two, assuming that was an issue he pushed for. I'd assume that if his agent is worth a lick of salt, he likely advised Jones of that as well. DL's done that in the past, presumably Cliché is on a one-way deal this year. That doesn't mean he'll get one and frankly, Jones et al. should have came off that soapbox, or whatever their stance was, a long time back. You don't make to many demands without leverage.

The Kings are required to offer Jones a minimum of a 10% raise on a contract as part of the CBA, so they had to be offering at least $577,500 (I believe he was making the league minimum last year) per year.

The 577K figure is if he plays in the NHL. His AHL salary will probably end up being around 65K. This is why I'm curious to see if the 2nd year ends up being one way, or if he gets a bump to six figures for his AHL salary.

He should have came to terms in mid-August at the latest.

And missing a couple days of camp can have a huge impact. Not only is he a few reps off everyone in shaking the rust, the delay forced the Kings to give all the net time in the Frozen Fury to other goalies, and the Kings also brought in Garon who now is additional competition potentially. He gained nothing from this.

One year makes sense for Jones, but again, what leg does he have to stand on? He could hold out or go to Europe, but the odds the Kings were going to back down is remote. His only hope was Quick or Scribbles gets hurt, and hurt long-term at that. And even that went down the tubes when the Kings brought in Garon.

Might just be me, but I don't think it's a huge deal. Jones just missed a few days of the prospect camp. I don't think his skills eroded from missing a few practices. There's still 3+ weeks until the AHL season begins. If he were holding out through the start of the season, I could see a reason for concern.

Don't think he or his agent did anything wrong. Just tried to get the best deal possible.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
My guess is Jones wanted more flexibility to try and get an NHL job if he was a free agent sooner.

Or he was hoping to have an opportunity to make more than near league minimum sooner.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The 577K figure is if he plays in the NHL. His AHL salary will probably end up being around 65K. This is why I'm curious to see if the 2nd year ends up being one way, or if he gets a bump to six figures for his AHL salary.

The 10% bump also applies to his AHL salary as well I believe. So he'd be getting $71,500 next year, or should be, assuming it's the minimum bump. Capgeek hasn't posted it yet though.

Might just be me, but I don't think it's a huge deal. Jones just missed a few days of the prospect camp. I don't think his skills eroded from missing a few practices. There's still 3+ weeks until the AHL season begins. If he were holding out through the start of the season, I could see a reason for concern.

Sorry if I implied that his skills were eroding, that's not really what I meant to say. Rather, I think all athletes have some level of rust to shake off in camp, especially in game like situations, like Frozen Fury. Holding out cost Jones likely at least one appearance in the two games. it's those types of situations you need to shake the rust off, and now everyone is ahead of him in that regard potentially. It's not a huge deal, but certainly doesn't help his cause, not to mention he cost himself a guaranteed chance to show himself off for the coaching staff. This is camp, you only get so much ice time in game situations before cuts get made. He just burned one or two of them.

Unless something happened that we don't know about (always possible) I'd wager this exact deal was on the table a while ago. Jones should have signed in a few weeks ago. All delaying did was show Garon the way back to LA.

Either way, just my opinion. You may very well be right. I just don't see how Jones helped himself, or even expected to help himself, by pushing it this long.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

How do you figure he missed time? He's already in LA as the link says and players don't report for camp until Wednesday... He was never going to be a part of the rookie camp since that's for guys that have less than two years of AHL experience. I think there is even rules saying that is the case in the new CBA.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
According to the LA Times, Jones' new two-year deal is worth $550,000 annually.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...30910,0,3924199.story?track=rss#axzz2eXjfcVvE
Highly touted prospect Martin Jones, who spent the last three seasons with the Kings’ top minor-league affiliate in Manchester, N.H., agreed to a two-year contract Tuesday morning. The two-way deal is worth $550,000 per year.

Jones, 23, had a goals-against average of 2.53 last season in Manchester, appearing in 56 games and going 27-25-4. He had a save percentage of .919 and recorded five shutouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad