Martin Erat Retires

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
When I think of Martin Erat, I think of the end of David Vyborny's NHL career. But I might be a tad biased. ;) (And it was likely unintentional in any case.)

Reactions: zaqq

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
One of my all-time favorites. Another one of those players from the early Preds teams who starred under the radar on teams that just didn't have enough to make an impact in the league. Guys like Erat played a big part in building the Preds identity during seasons that the club had no chance at making a Cup run. I wish a few of them could be on the current squad and enjoy the team success now.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Damn.. he took that trade harder than anyone..

martin-erat-2008-1412.jpg

martin-erat-2015-7166.jpg

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
He had a brilliant career for a 7th round pick. Nashville definitely made the most of the pick and of him as a player.

Last edited:
Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
...didn't even know he was still playing, if I'm being honest.

Shame his career will always be overshadowed by that awful, awful trade.
Still don't understand how George McPhee thought that trade was a good idea considering everyone knew it was awful the second it happened.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Still don't understand how George McPhee thought that trade was a good idea considering everyone knew it was awful the second it happened.

The guy did built a Stnaley Cup Champion + a SC finalist so hey I wont judge his GM abilities.

Its an awful trade sure, Erat did nothing for the Caps but at the end of the day they now have more championships than NSH so I dont think their fans are sweating.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland
The guy did built a Stnaley Cup Champion + a SC finalist so hey I wont judge his GM abilities.

Its an awful trade sure, Erat did nothing for the Caps but at the end of the day they now have more championships than NSH so I dont think their fans are sweating.

He might have drafted some of the stars for said team but he was bad at everything else at the position. GMBM deserves more credit for providing depth scoring and an NHL defense.

Reactions: Hatfield

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
A player I always liked, definitely should be remembered for more than that trade that sent him to the Capitals in 2013.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
One of my favorite Predators, it's a shame he ended up a punchline due to a bad trade. He's a great guy and in his prime he was always good for around 50-55 points playing for the ultra conservative Trotz teams. He probably could have hit 60 on a different team.

A very underrated player, for a 7th round pick to string along almost 900 games and end up 2nd and 3rd in each offensive category for a young franchise is pretty spectacular.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
He's been out of the league four full years. He's BEEN retired.

Can't wait for tomorrows announcement that Steve Larmer has retired.

Reactions: Howie Hodge

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
He might have drafted some of the stars for said team but he was bad at everything else at the position. GMBM deserves more credit for providing depth scoring and an NHL defense.
Agreed, GMGM drafted the core, but consistently failed to build around it. He wasted the prime of Semin & Green's careers, and a big chunk of Ovie and Backstrom's as well.

Reactions: Red Dread

P10p

May 15, 2012
A little video I made some years ago:

Always liked Erat. He was probably one of the leagues most underrated forwards in his prime. Too bad that the younger generation of fans only remembers him for the Forsberg trade.

Love the 5 replays of a shootout goal to start the video

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad