Martial Arts advice

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I've been into Karate for all of my child and teenage life. Got up to brown belt, but had to hit pause because of clashes between school, work, and karate schedules. Tried my hand at various combat sports later on, but had to quit due to a couple of concussions that weren't even from fighting. Thought I might never get back into the combat sports scene.

I got into Karate because I was obsessed with The Karate Kid and Johnny Lawrance. I was chanting "Strike first, strike hard, no mercy" leading up to my first class. Here's this little 7 year old girl trying to challenge a black belt who was 20 times my size. Looking back, this guy could have kicked me into the next 4 decades. Then, Cobra Kai happened. It was killing me on the inside, so I started training with a friend, and things were going pretty good. Now, I'm thinking of joining a gym that does martial arts, Jiu-Jitsu, and another combat sport like Maui Thai, karate, or TKD. Found a few options: one with Karate and Jiu-Jitsu, another with Jiu-Jitsu and Maui Thai, and a nearby one that does Kickboxing (still need to check if they do Jiu-Jitsu).

Now, here's the snag. I'm not sure which discipline, other than Jiu-Jitsu, I want to dive into. Should I go back to Karate and go for the black belt, or try something new? I could use some advice on this one, please.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
It really depends on what your goals are and what you enjoy, but most gyms will give you a free trial or have a promo for new students so you can try a few different places and see which martial arts and instructors you prefer.

Reactions: DaveG

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
It really depends on what your goals are and what you enjoy, but most gyms will give you a free trial or have a promo for new students so you can try a few different places and see which martial arts and instructors you prefer.

I did some research and did a trial at a gym 20 minutes away. It was really good. I am going with Mauy Thai and BJJ.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
I was having the same internal debate with myself. I couldnt decide what I wanted to train in. After much research, weighing prices, different disciplines, and convenience of class times and locations, I settled on Krav Maga.

They sort of pull from many of the disciplines. The training is rigorous but fun. They certainly do not train you to fight fair, but to defend yourself and extricate yourself from dangerous situations.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing! Good luck with your training.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad