Player Discussion Maroon Appreciation Thread

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Really? Sorry, but they're a team I have paid literally no attention to at any point in my life. I usually don't even watch the games that they play against the teams I like (sort of a Minnesota Wild effect), what did they have to overcome? I don't remember seeing that they were down 3-0 in any of their series, they're a perennial playoff team (so not an underdog in that respect), they played one of the weakest first round opponents in the Jets and played the San Jose Choke-jobs in the Conference Finals. I'm not critiquing your opinion, I'm just wondering exactly what it was that was "hell"? Again, I didn't watch any of their games, so I'm not one to comment, just interested. Also, not saying they don't deserve it either. I'm sure they do considering that the finals was a 7 game series.
The blues were last in the league in January I’d say that’s hell for the eventual cup winners, they had the best record in the second half

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
More like: One guy that cant let a nice moment slip by unpunished.

Haters gonna hate.

Seeing as this is clearly a Maroon appreciation thread though Congrats to Patty for winning the Cup in his home town. Without a doubt a very entertaining player and it's nice to see him win and be able to celebrate at home with his son.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Really? Sorry, but they're a team I have paid literally no attention to at any point in my life. I usually don't even watch the games that they play against the teams I like (sort of a Minnesota Wild effect), what did they have to overcome? I don't remember seeing that they were down 3-0 in any of their series, they're a perennial playoff team (so not an underdog in that respect), they played one of the weakest first round opponents in the Jets and played the San Jose Choke-jobs in the Conference Finals. I'm not critiquing your opinion, I'm just wondering exactly what it was that was "hell"? Again, I didn't watch any of their games, so I'm not one to comment, just interested. Also, not saying they don't deserve it either. I'm sure they do considering that the finals was a 7 game series.

The Blues went from last place in the NHL standings to win the cup. The degree that they had to dig deep for the last 6mths is pretty incredible. The Jets being terrible is revisionist. many people, including several on this board had them among favorites.

Dallas was an extremely hard club to play with Radulov, Seguin being absolutely on top of their game and having the offensive back end they do. They're a big team that bang all day. Just the kind of team that is built for playoffs.

The Sharks were the odds on favorite, along with Tampa, to win it all.

The thing that I can't get here is why is it hard to respect what they accomplished? (not saying you) the Blues won the cup, beat all comers, beat every team they played, won 3 games in Boston to do it. Came back from 2-1 down in series 3 times to gut out series wins. They deserve some respect. By a large margin the best team in the NHL in 2019.

Hardly any team does what the Blues managed to do this season. They managed not only to resurrect a season that was off the rails. They rode that all the way to a pretty astounding cup win. In decades people will look at this as pretty amazing. Similar to the Habs 86 cup win against all odds. Except that Habs team needed more fortune, OT W's etc. This Blues team went into each series intending to outwork and wear down the opposition and did, every time.

kudos

you could see it on the etched faces of the Bruins last night as well. Shock. Chara, Bergeron, Marchand etc just jaw dropped as the Blues clearly took the game away. I didn't see anger either, but recognition they were beat on ice. I saw it most times the Bruins topline was on the ice. Or any line last night.

Look at the Bruins bench after the top line was once again made to spend an entire shift in own end defending a relentless and very good cycle game. There were heads down, all of that, throughout 2nd, 3rd periods. A former SC champion. Vet Bruins team, was demoralized as the game progressed. They unravelled increasingly taking more desperate chances.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Short version. The Blues rags to riches tale this season is storybook. It really is. I got on late for the ride but they had my complete attention by the time they were able to get by the Dallas Stars who were built out for the playoffs and who were also hot.

Maybe because we are suffering Oilers fans its hard to acknowledge but this was special. Blues fans sure deserve it. Happy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maroons kid is probably the most popular in that school lol. Happy for maroon to win it for his home has gotta be something else

Something I'm wondering out loud. Does a team and its players feel more like rockstars winning at home or on the road. In some way getting to celebrate, party, do crazy shit on the road and have team bedlam and then fly home and be recognized as conquering heroes would seem like something pretty damned sweet.

I know every player wants to win at home but man winning on the road is a prize for sure.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Something I'm wondering out loud. Does a team and its players feel more like rockstars winning at home or on the road. In some way getting to celebrate, party, do crazy **** on the road and have team bedlam and then fly home and be recognized as conquering heroes would seem like something pretty damned sweet.

I know every player wants to win at home but man winning on the road is a prize for sure.
That flight home will be one for the memories I’m sure lol.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The Blues went from last place in the NHL standings to win the cup. The degree that they had to dig deep for the last 6mths is pretty incredible. The Jets being terrible is revisionist. many people, including several on this board had them among favorites.

Dallas was an extremely hard club to play with Radulov, Seguin being absolutely on top of their game and having the offensive back end they do. They're a big team that bang all day. Just the kind of team that is built for playoffs.

The Sharks were the odds on favorite, along with Tampa, to win it all.

The thing that I can't get here is why is it hard to respect what they accomplished? (not saying you) the Blues won the cup, beat all comers, beat every team they played, won 3 games in Boston to do it. Came back from 2-1 down in series 3 times to gut out series wins. They deserve some respect. By a large margin the best team in the NHL in 2019.

Hardly any team does what the Blues managed to do this season. They managed not only to resurrect a season that was off the rails. They rode that all the way to a pretty astounding cup win. In decades people will look at this as pretty amazing. Similar to the Habs 86 cup win against all odds. Except that Habs team needed more fortune, OT W's etc. This Blues team went into each series intending to outwork and wear down the opposition and did, every time.

kudos

you could see it on the etched faces of the Bruins last night as well. Shock. Chara, Bergeron, Marchand etc just jaw dropped as the Blues clearly took the game away. I didn't see anger either, but recognition they were beat on ice. I saw it most times the Bruins topline was on the ice. Or any line last night.

Look at the Bruins bench after the top line was once again made to spend an entire shift in own end defending a relentless and very good cycle game. There were heads down, all of that, throughout 2nd, 3rd periods. A former SC champion. Vet Bruins team, was demoralized as the game progressed. They unravelled increasingly taking more desperate chances.
I’m pretty sure all teams that win the cup beat all comers in the playoffs.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
What a beautiful picture. Thank you for reposting.

The only thing better is if they boarded the plane and came home to STL with Jersey still on as in "we didn't want to take them off"

But man, Maroon, smart suit, sharp dressed man.

Is ROR going all seventies in that unbuttoned shirt? lol at his on air comments. Seems like a nice guy as well.

Really like that the Blues got this, and the way they got it. It should be hard to win the cup and the Blues had to go through hell and back to get it. They deserved it. They showed how deep you have to dig to get it.

I too wanted the St. Louis to get this one. I am really glad they did. It just goes to show that really anything is possible in this league.

They were dead last in the NHL in January, brought in a Interim coach (much like us) and they ran with a rookie goaltender, 1st year in the NHL and 1st stanley cup!

Everything went their way, and it almost seemed that lady luck was traveling with them as well. (Not to discount the the hard work in their achievement)

Plus their 1st in the final in 51 years and they win their first Stanley Cup. It is such a great story.

The team has many great players that has been developed over the years and is just a testament of good drafting and shrewd trades.

The ROR trade was huge for the blues. Leadership plus skill is such a huge boon to a team. That is why I would advocate drafting players like Turcotte and Krebs. They are in the same mold.

I hope we can see this for our team in the near future!

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Good on Patty! He’s going to try to party harder than Ovechkin did for sure. I hope he takes some liver supplements!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I dont think its been mentioned enough but the refs play a major role in what type of hockey ultimately wins. When a puck over glass call is the single most important call in a game that tells you everything you need to know about how the game is being managed.
If the refs call the game properly then heavy hockey (which involves a ton of interference) becomes less of a factor.

Reactions: Little Fury

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I couldn't disagree more with a notion that the refs should call everything and the slightest level of infraction involved through a hit.

This isn't basketball or soccer and I don't wish it to be.

Stronger, faster, harder, are some of the terms to describe athletic competitive endeavor. To me a huge problem occurs when officiating results in the evening of the playing surface for pintsize squirts like Tyler Johnson and the Tampa Bay Lightning type teams. Over zealous crackdown removes strength, physicality from the equation if NHL is called more as a no contact league and indeed has resulted in the current anemic regular season games and mitigation to the point where size and physicality doesn't even matter (in regular season)

At least it matters in the playoffs, and we get to watch actual competition, actual players competing with all the intensity, and not the regular season figure skating junk. Within reason let the players decide the results and please, including physicality and as much hitting as possible.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I couldn't disagree more with a notion that the refs should call everything and the slightest level of infraction involved through a hit.

This isn't basketball or soccer and I don't wish it to be.

Stronger, faster, harder, are some of the terms to describe athletic competitive endeavor. To me a huge problem occurs when officiating results in the evening of the playing surface for pintsize squirts like Tyler Johnson and the Tampa Bay Lightning type teams. Over zealous crackdown removes strength, physicality from the equation if NHL is called more as a no contact league and indeed has resulted in the current anemic regular season games and mitigation to the point where size and physicality doesn't even matter (in regular season)

At least it matters in the playoffs, and we get to watch actual competition, actual players competing with all the intensity, and not the regular season figure skating junk. Within reason let the players decide the results and please, including physicality and as much hitting as possible.
I doubt you thought players should play through it after what Kesler was doing to McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad