Marner Vs Marchand

Who is the better player

• Marner

• Marchand

Results are only viewable after voting.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They're not that far apart, but I don't really see the argument for Marner. Marchand is a more rounded offensive player, is harder on the puck, more willing to go to the dirty areas, he can be a pest and get players off their games, is one of the best SH threats, has more experience and playoff success, and since Marner's breakout in '18-19, scores more and produces at better rates per game and at 5v5, ES and on the PP in terms of G/60, P/60 and P1/60, and has better underlying numbers (he also has better per game, rate and underlying numbers this season, and is only one point back). The only real advantage for Marner is probably that Marchand can be too undisciplined at times, but he also draws a ton more penalties, so their differential isn't too far apart.

Last edited:

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
They're not that far apart, but I don't really see the argument for Marner. Marchand is a more rounded offensive player, is harder on the puck, more willing to go to the dirty areas, he can be a pest and get players off their games, is one of the best SH threats, has more experience and playoff success, and since Marner's breakout in '18-19, scores more and produces at better rates per game and at 5v5, ES and on the PP in terms of G/60, P/60 and P1/60, and has better underlying numbers (he also has better per game, rate and underlying numbers this season, and is only one point back). The only real advantage for Marner is probably that Marchand can be too undisciplined at times, but he also draws a ton more penalties, so their differential isn't too far apart.
You have to figure in linemates as well. Marner didn't always have Matthews. To add Marchand has been amazing with 2 other stars and arguably the best line in hockey.

Still Marchy by a hair though. I wanna see a strong playoff performance from Marner.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You have to figure in linemates as well. Marner didn't always have Matthews. To add Marchand has been amazing with 2 other stars and arguably the best line in hockey.

Still Marchy by a hair though. I wanna see a strong playoff performance from Marner.

That is a factor, for sure, and hard to factor in, but I think their PP teammates are pretty similar and Marchand still has slightly better rates when accounting for secondary assists at 5v5 which is where I generally think where you'd benefit most from playing with two other stars as opposed to one. Marchand's P/60 and P1/60 at 5v5 the past two years is also still higher than Marner's P/60 5v5 in just his minutes with Matthews.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Marchand BUT I say Marner passes him by the end of next season. Its getting close.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Marner is the correct answer. He has jaw dropping ability. Marchand is no slouch either but Marner has done all this by age 23. Marchand doesn't come close to that in his career.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Voted marchand even though it's super close

If marner has a dominant playoff run and helps the leafs win the cup I'll have him as 2nd best winger in the game after Kucherov

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
If I had the pick between Marner or Marchand for this years playoffs, I’d take Marchand.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
The bolded has absolutely no relevance regarding OP's question.

I think a player's career is VERY relevant when asking "who is better". LOL.

Marchand is in the final stages of his, and Marner just started his a few years ago.

Marner had the much better start to that career......is the better player RIGHT NOW(as evidenced hy his position in the points race)........and looks to be on a higher trajectory than Marchand for the future.

But I'm not at all surprised by the poll results, because well..... :)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Hm pretty good poll ....

I don’t think marner gets enough respect, and kinda seen as matthews side kick. I also think Marchand gets overlooked because of his extra stuff.

I think for a playoff matchup give me Marchand, but if I’m starting a team I prob take marner. I think I’d call em pretty even.

not going to vote cause I think it’s too close to pick one but I do like the idea of the poll

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I think a player's career is VERY relevant when asking "who is better". LOL.

Marchand is in the final stages of his, and Marner just started his a few years ago.

Marner had the much better start to that career......is the better player RIGHT NOW(as evidenced hy his position in the points race)........and looks to be on a higher trajectory than Marchand for the future.

But I'm not at all surprised by the poll results, because well..... :)

Development / career progression is not linear. Marchand was a good player for much of his career, then something clicked and he became a top 10 player.

Marner quite obviously has had a better start to his career and is about to hit 24. He hasn't really accomplished or proven much of anything. By 24, Marchand had two long playoff runs where he was a key contributor, including a 22 year old season where he was nearly a PPG in their Cup run.

There's also more to a player than pure offensive talent. Marchand brings an element of grit/attitude that Marner obviously does not.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
There's also more to a player than pure offensive talent. Marchand brings an element of grit/attitude that Marner obviously does not.

And Marner is already a great player defensively, which obviously Marchand is not as good at. ;)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad