Marner v Point, which contract do you prefer?

Which contract would you prefer your team to have for a Marner/Point level player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Points next contract will be higher than Marners after 3 more years. or sh*t we will see.
But if the bridge deal helps keep the band together and they win, I don’t think they’ll care. Chicago was happy to pay Kane and Toews with 3 rings.

3 years is a long way away. For now, the Bolts are in a great spot both on and off the ice.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Did Matthews run your dog over? It’s pretty peculiar how you’ll bring him into unrelated conversation just to slight him. You shouldn’t pay him so much mind because he’s never going to reciprocate. Sorry.

Re; Matthews - the most respected in the game take issue with Dubas giving max dollar without getting max term. Nobody credible thinks it’s ‘atrocious’, but he shouldn’t have moved on dollars without getting term. He falls in between Eichel and McDavid, as he should... but it should have been for longer.

You’re welcome to bury your head in the sand if you’d like, but when you’re disingenuous in your evaluation it has you looking silly. Especially when guys who earn a living on a rival team say things like this; https://www.bardown.com/david-pastr...-to-win-the-hart-trophy-next-season-1.1351599

...but hey, whatever makes you feel better!
I don't understand how you think its not an atrocious contract. Yeah, 11.6 I guess is fair (still a little high imo) on an 8-year contract. That would plant him square between McDavid and Eichel. On 5 years that unbelievably bad. His figure on an 8-year contract would have been 13+ million, making him the highest-paid player in the league. Essentially a guy who has never cracked 75 is paid more than McDavid (the Hart, 2x Lindsay, 2x Art Ross, youngest captain in the NHL, better defensively, plays more minutes, scores more goals, and leads a significantly worse team- that McDavid). Their resumes aren't comparable in the slightest- where did that number come from? Thus why it was an atrocious deal. 3 years off his contract is not some small statement to be dismissed, not to mention the bringing him to UFA where is his slated to get an absurd contract whether that be from the leafs or from some other team.

I brought him up because he is completely relevant to the discussion. I honestly think Dubas did a decent job with the Marner contract, I was fully expecting to see the Toews-Kane contract scenario because frankly, Marner has an argument for that. Getting the extra year and 700K lower was some decent negotiation. So Matthews came up as I think Marner could have won this poll if it weren't for the Matthews' contract. I think Marner is better than Point, so but having outperformed an 11.6 million dollar teammate the year prior killed Dubas. Without that direct teammate comparable, Marner probably gets 10 x 6 or probably even less, which in turn I would take over Point at 6.75 x 3.

Edit: and yes respected people think its a bad deal. Maybe you have to travel outside the Toronto bubble to hear them, but the day that deal was announced the majority of talk show hosts I heard were unsure at best with some uncaringly ripping into it.

I also don't understand the point of citing a player. They very very rarely speak ill of each other, especially to the media. That is the definition of empty words. Classy move by Pasta but not meaningful

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Of course we'd all prefer Point's contract. No question!!

But Marner is the better player and is signed for 6 years instead of 3 so at least I will find some solace in that.

:)

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I don't understand how you think its not an atrocious contract. Yeah, 11.6 I guess is fair (still a little high imo) on an 8-year contract. That would plant him square between McDavid and Eichel. On 5 years that unbelievably bad. His figure on an 8-year contract would have been 13+ million, making him the highest-paid player in the league. Essentially a guy who has never cracked 75 is paid more than McDavid (the Hart, 2x Lindsay, 2x Art Ross, youngest captain in the NHL, better defensively, plays more minutes, scores more goals, and leads a significantly worse team- that McDavid). Their resumes aren't comparable in the slightest- where did that number come from? Thus why it was an atrocious deal. 3 years off his contract is not some small statement to be dismissed, not to mention the bringing him to UFA where is his slated to get an absurd contract whether that be from the leafs or from some other team.

I brought him up because he is completely relevant to the discussion. I honestly think Dubas did a decent job with the Marner contract, I was fully expecting to see the Toews-Kane contract scenario because frankly, Marner has an argument for that. Getting the extra year and 700K lower was some decent negotiation. So Matthews came up as I think Marner could have won this poll if it weren't for the Matthews' contract. I think he is better than Point, so but having outperformed an 11.6 million dollar teammate the year prior killed Dubas. Without that direct teammate comparable, Marner probably gets 10 x 6 or probably even less, which in turn I would take over Point at 6.75 x 3.
:laugh: Predictably, the slights to Matthews are closely followed by the McDavid comparisons complete with credentials and some points of opinion sold as fact. I should have bet. :laugh:

Your opinion is inconsistent with those who earn a living in the game... Or maybe David Pastrnak, Alex Barkov, Barry Trotz etc are all just Leaf homers? :laugh:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
yup its part of being the hockey spotlight. Marner is over paid right now but soon enough it will be seen as a good deal.
I expect 100 points from Marner and maybe 70-80 from Point

I mean considering point is a goal scoring center, and all the logic we've heard about why Matthews deserved more than Marner (i.e. he's a goal scoring center), it's quite shocking to see point get such a superior contract.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Everyone knows this. He shouldn’t have made a cent more than Kucherov. Dubas still gave it to him. Not much anyone on HF can do about it?

If your friends dog ****s on your rug, do you rub your friends nose in it?

I didn't create the poll, and there are obviously several leaf fans who believe the Marner contract is still superior....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad