Marner v Point, which contract do you prefer?

Which contract would you prefer your team to have for a Marner/Point level player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I have a feeling its because they know Point isn't as good as his #'s suggest. Where did the kid find the extra talent? He was always a great jr player but not elite, got to the NHL and continued the same trend...then boom broke out for 92 points.
I just don't think he is as good as people seem to think he is, sometimes players can get over rated based off of the team they are on and the #'s that brings
I personally see him as a 30 goal #2 center and he is being paid accordingly.
If the kid continues to put up 40 goal 90 point seasons then I will eat my crow but I dunno, again where did all the talent come from??
What are you talking about? Point tore apart the WHL - he had 88p in 48gp his last year junior.

Also - on what planet is a 30 goal 70-80 point 2 way center a #2 center?

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
No one on the Leafs should be making more than Tavares and that should have been Dubas' stance.

I don't mean that Tavares is the best player (I mean he's right there) but that should have been how he handled it. Tell Matthews there's no f***ing way you're getting more than JT who signed as a UFA.

Matthews should have been had at Eichel type money maybe 500k more, Marner should have been $10m but more like $9.9016 for the looks of not actually being $10m.

But whatever. Sucks to be a Leafs fan I guess. And yet, I'm oddly happy to have these guys locked up........It's so strange to have really good players, possibly superstars you know?

Leafs haven't had top end players for a VERY long time. Even Sundin wasn't THAT good you know? He was really good, but he wasn't top 10 most of the time.

Us Leafs fans are hoping that the next CBA, Seattle and US TV deal make that cap go way up to the point that these contracts look fine.

That's all you can do. It's weird we don't have any bad players on long contracts anymore but now we have great players on bad contracts.

I'd rather have great players on bad contracts.

Reactions: mouser

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
No one on the Leafs should be making more than Tavares and that should have been Dubas' stance.

I don't mean that Tavares is the best player (I mean he's right there) but that should have been how he handled it. Tell Matthews there's no ****ing way you're getting more than JT who signed as a UFA.

Matthews should have been had at Eichel type money maybe 500k more, Marner should have been $10m but more like $9.9016 for the looks of not actually being $10m.

But whatever. Sucks to be a Leafs fan I guess. And yet, I'm oddly happy to have these guys locked up........It's so strange to have really good players, possibly superstars you know?

Leafs haven't had top end players for a VERY long time. Even Sundin wasn't THAT good you know? He was really good, but he wasn't top 10 most of the time.

Us Leafs fans are hoping that the next CBA, Seattle and US TV deal make that cap go way up to the point that these contracts look fine.

That's all you can do. It's weird we don't have any bad players on long contracts anymore but now we have great players on bad contracts.

I'd rather have great players on bad contracts.
You're completely right. Great to get your stars locked down, preferable to them leaving, even if dubas overpaid to keep them. The leafs are in a great spot with a solid core.

Just irks me (and quite apparently others) when some can't admit that they were less than ideal contracts. But in the end its a good problem to have.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Well, I can't say I'm surprised. I provide a well-articulated response to why Matthews was brought into the discussion as well as why his contract was overpaid as I simply contrasted him to his closest paid comparable. Then proceed to explain how this affected Marner's contract and how that fares against Point's new deal. Then also refuted the point of why coaches and players opinions should be taken with a grain of salt, as they are professionals who will speak highly about the vast majority of their "coworkers". You don't think there are clips of players speaking highly of Barkov? Players commending Trotz on his coaching ability? Or does every player give each other the bird except when it comes to the privilege of getting to support Matthews on a pedestal to the media?

And yet, I am met with the response of a grown-ass man pretending he is laughing out loud in his room at the notion someone on an internet hockey forum disagreeing with him, and providing 0 rebuttals because frankly, he knows its a contest he will lose.

Keep up the maturity and good work.
Also don't forget to vote for Marner in the poll, he is only losing by a 90.5% majority!
You have the people of HFboards by your side for your homer takes, don't worry.
Well articulated, huh? I apologize, I see very little benefit in trying to reason with someone whose only interested in pushing an agenda.

Nobody reasonable saw Matthews as a comparable? That was the agent, trying to drive the price up. Most respected agreed he should fall a little below Kucherov and Kane. Your opinion is cute and all, but I’m sure you can understand why some may put more stock into those who earn a living in the industry?

I never suggest players don’t praise each other. I simply posted a link to a peer choosing him as his favourite to win the Hart this year. When his peers as well as opposing coaches and managers hold him in that sort of regard, you look pretty foolish as a fan on the internet trying to suggest otherwise. Sure, you’re entitled to your opinion, but I’m sure you can again understand why it appears kind of silly and maybe even dishonest when it’s in such contrast to those at the highest level of the industry.

“Keep up the maturity” and proceeds with a juvenile jab. You can’t make this **** up. :laugh:

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
You're completely right. Great to get your stars locked down, preferable to them leaving, even if dubas overpaid to keep them. The leafs are in a great spot with a solid core.

Just irks me (and quite apparently others) when some can't admit that they were less than ideal contracts. But in the end its a good problem to have.

I think people are just fascinated with what's happened with Toronto's players and there's a few Leafs fans on this site that can't admit we got ZERO discount from them (accept for oddly, the UFA Tavares)

I'm an older person and to me, a UFA like Tavares taking a discount (apparently) and then our homegrown kid Marner taking us to the cleaners is disappointing.

Did Dubas get played? I'm not sure he did. But he certainly didn't play hardball. He tried it with Nylander and maybe he should have held on to his bluff. Really it was probably Nylander's camp that was bluffing and Dubas folded and then had to fold to the rest of them. Also not much help from TSN going on about bridging Marner at $11m per. We eat our own here in Toronto thanks to the media.

But yeah, let's say combined we're spending $5m more on these guys vs having some mediocre 3rd line vet scruff signed for that amount, it's better to have overpaid top end core players so it's fine.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
I’m no expert, I just like hockey.

I add .500k per ufa year for Marner which would put Point at 8.75m x 6. I think Marner is about 1m+ over paid so that closes the gap but not enough.

I’d much rather the Point contract as a fan and GM... I don’t buy Hugh cap inflation but you never know it might happen.

Again, I’m no expert. Just a guy that likes hockey.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
What about in 3 years when Point will cost 14 mil per?

When Point gets 14 million per season you can bring it up.

Also when Point gets that 14 million per what will the salary cap be like?

Everything needs context.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This isn't even a discussion, landslide result of voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad