TSN: Marner on tsn: "We are grown men".

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
f***ing irritating how this would be a non issue on 95% of teams, bug because Toronto, the media has to drag everything through the mud.

From players and coaches alike, just shit up and do your job.

And if the media could also act like mature adults and stop turning the leafs into TMZ, that'd be appreciated.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
It is a stupid hockey saying been used by coaches for years .. it usually means exact opposite .. usually you'll hear your coach say "play like men not boys" .. for so many years he has heard it thru junior and pro .. it get ridiculous how many times you hear it .. most guys tune it out .. but it gets ingrained in your vocabulary
No real man needs to emphasize or say out loud: i'm a grown man. Just like we dont have to say: I am artistic. Ether you are or you aint. Others know it and notice it.

Also this team evidently still needs simmonds. Sometimes teams need a player Who is not good as Ashton Reese but is a better talker. His voice on the bench and soul in the dressing room make the whole team better. Tavares and simmonds were the guys Who invited other pllayers to the cabin fever Come summeritime. Simmonds's is not only play good ice hickey for a 5min, but to talk the WHOLE DARN GAME. That's what make him better than ANY of our current players and thats what makes the team a whole.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
f***ing irritating how this would be a non issue on 95% of teams, bug because Toronto, the media has to drag everything through the mud.

And if the media could also act like mature adults and stop turning the leafs into TMZ, that'd be appreciated.

According to Poulin, the media did not have anything to do with it. It was Keefe who felt he needed to explain himself.

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020
Keefe made some comments about the star players, media of course blew it way out of proportion. Keefe had a conversation behind doors with the leadership group, same as any other team. Keefe then tried to clarify his statements to the media because he saw how they and some fans have completely overreacted to something minor.

This is honestly nothing, but of course the media in Toronto is trying to make it something. I guess this is what happens when people overreact after 4 games into the season.

And the gullible fools in this thread fell for it, hook, line and sinker. Quite sad. Well played, "chick reporter"...well played.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Of course he should have been fired. If he was coach no players would play for him.

They did for a couple decades prior and won it all. What changed? The Leafs were wining under him under Lou. Then they bring in Mr. NuHockey and he tries to change Babcocks preferred roster type and it goes sideways.

I think I articulated that just fine.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I get what you are saying but we have to remember that he lost the room during the Dubas Babcock power struggle. If Lou or a similar GM were there he likely would not have lost the room.
You have a short memory

He lost the room because of what he did to a 19 year old kid. Made him name the 5 worst players on the team and because he had no choice he named himself and 4 other players. Babcock then told the room what the kid told him. Right there he list the room.

If babcock was still here matthews and marner wouldn’t be playing together and both would still be getting 15 minutes a night and guys like hyman would be getting 20.

Reactions: saffronleaf

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Keefe didnt even say anything crazy, why is he walking it back lol

IDK, it feels like the media was insulted for Marner and Matthews? It certainly doesn't feel like they were insulted or even knew what he said in that press conference.

Media just stirring up nothing as usual and now Keefe has to do damage control on nothing while the players are also confused as to why there needs to be damage control when there was nothing?

I guess the only thing Keefe needed to clarify was that they needed to produce at an elite level and not just be possessing the puck at an elite level like they currently are? But I would imagine that wouldn't need an explanation to anyone besides the media.

I feel like they would be happy to do that, but their employer is literally a pair of media giants who also employ the vast majority of the media there too.

It is just like that pregame with Matthews asking how it feels to play his hometown team... For like the 20th time.

Reactions: Advanced stats

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You have a short memory

He lost the room because of what he did to a 19 year old kid. Made him name the 5 worst players on the team and because he had no choice he named himself and 4 other players. Babcock then told the room what the kid told him. Right there he list the room.

If babcock was still here matthews and marner wouldn’t be playing together and both would still be getting 15 minutes a night and guys like hyman would be getting 20.

It sounds worse than it was though. Sometimes doing things like that is a growing experience. It's like, facing yourself and then critiquing those around you. Is it comfortable? No. Is it the best method of teaching someone a lesson? No, probably not. Thing is, it wasn't like he told him to do something really weird or some strange hazing thing. Some people would look at it like a moment of just being honest with yourself. You can't cry about everything in life and run to Fortnite every single time there is some challenge in life.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It sounds worse than it was though. Sometimes doing things like that is a growing experience. It's like, facing yourself and then critiquing those around you. Is it comfortable? No. Is it the best method of teaching someone a lesson? No, probably not. Thing is, it wasn't like he told him to do something really weird or some strange hazing thing. Some people would look at it like a moment of just being honest with yourself. You can't cry about everything in life and run to Fortnite every single time there is some challenge in life.

As O'Dog said, put on your big boy pants and go out and beat Dallas. The truth will set you free Mitch.

Kyle089

May 21, 2018
When was it blown out of proportion? I thought the consensus was most people agreed with Keefe and that they weren't good enough

Keefe was 100% correct in his initial statement. They get paid the big bucks, they should be able to deal with criticism that comes from it. The fact that he had to come out and say "that's not what I meant" is sad and shows the lack of accountability in this organization

And the fact that people still think this is just 4 games is crazy. People aren't upset because of a single loss to Arizona. They're upset because we haven't won a series in 6 straight attempts and are displaying the same exact issues that have plagued us in the past.

I was completely on board with what Keefe said, did not see anything wrong at all with his comment. I was just seeing a lot of stuff on twitter from fans and reporters about his comments, which to me made it a bigger deal then it truly was.

Marner really screwed up by mentioning the meeting he and others had with Keefe afterwards though. As I mentioned, these kinds of talks happen all the time and are usually no big deal. He should of just said that everyone is in agreement that they need to perform.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
As O'Dog said, put on your big boy pants and go out and beat Dallas. The truth will set you free Mitch.

I don't feel that the forum is emotionally supporting me. I don't feel like I can put my best effort in anymore because of the impact of the mean things some have said during my time posting here. I hope that I can get some apology or explanation so I can get back to doing what I am not paid to do.

:sarcasm:

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I won’t watch it, the second hand embarrassment will be too much. Lol

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
I won’t watch it, the second hand embarrassment will be too much. Lol
I only do second hand clothes stores sometimes miself. Like I do buy new clothes too, often and expensive. Like Prada etc, Sean John etc. But often second hand stores give that lil bit of extra and cheap. When combined, I look rich.
The leafs on the other hand is not doing it right. This has to go.... we need a real man in charge. And I've liked keefe, but he is afraid. That's not good for anybody. Second hand or not.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
wowww I just watched Mitch's interview today..

the grown men part wasn't even the worst of it

just look at him... shook. worse than after a game 7.

he said he feels good about his game too. how

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
wowww I just watched Mitch's interview today..

the grown men part wasn't even the worst of it

just look at him... shook. worse than after a game 7.

he said he feels good about his game too. how

Was he giving it to the crowd for booing earlier in the game after scoring the tying goal ??

keefer looks so sad.

wonder if he groveled.

You would too if your ass was on fire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad