Marner on Penalty Kill?

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Haven’t really watched Leafs during the regular season, is Marner on the penalty kill a common occurrence? Just noticed him on there often during this game five today.

Which set of four forwards do you run on the penalty kill? If I were to guess it would’ve been:

Kapanen, Kadri, one of Brown/Hyman & maybe Marleau?

But I’m probably very far off.
Thanks in advance.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Haven’t really watched Leafs during the regular season, is Marner on the penalty kill a common occurrence? Just noticed him on there often during this game five today.

Which set of four forwards do you run on the penalty kill? If I were to guess it would’ve been:

Thanks in advance.

I believe Babcock started using him on the PK midseason. He has looked pretty good on the PK.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Marner's been a regular PKer since Par Lindholm was traded earlier in the season

Hyman takes a majority of the draws. Gauthier comes on for the face-off frequently though and switches off if he wins it and they clear. He'll stay on if they don't clear.

Reactions: Akrapovince

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I believe Babcock started using him on the PK midseason. He has looked pretty good on the PK.
He and JT rotated as the 5th guy (so if Hyman or one of the other PK forwards got a penalty). Once we traded Lindholm, Marner was put there full time.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
He's an absolute whiz on the PK, it's been a nice development. His intelligence and hockey IQ is a huge asset on it.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
He's been killing penalties all season, and i think his usage went up after Lindholm was traded. He's very good at reading the play and intercepting passes.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I was always against using your stars on the PK. Yes, i'm a dinosaur. But Marner is excellent at it. The game is so much faster now. Maybe i was wrong.....

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
JT kills prnalties too. There is a reason thry have a 200ft game

JT started the season taking a lot of draws on the PK and then getting off soon after that. Haven't seen it much of at all lately. Gauthier seems to have taken over taking the draws that Hyman doesn't take.

Skiskate

Nov 23, 2018
He is just smarter than everyone and usually knows what happens a play ahead of time. Its what makes him so great all around.
His ability to read an opponents play a second or two ahead is truly incredible. His pking has gotten really good.

He can also pickpocket the man on the point very well which makes for a very dangerous chance.

Reactions: Marner

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
He's our best PKer due to his high intelligence.

He's our riskiest PKer due to fact that if he takes one off the ankle we may be done.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He's our best PKer due to his high intelligence.

He's our riskiest PKer due to fact that if he takes one off the ankle we may be done.
Maybe but if the leafs were unable to stave off the shorthanded situations, we were done anyways. Boston is pretty good on the PP

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Let's talk about Mitch Marner. Has not factored into very much in the way of offense for most of the series, understanding the hard match up, and hasn't really been involved since the double shot block.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
His ability to read an opponents play a second or two ahead is truly incredible. His pking has gotten really good.

He can also pickpocket the man on the point very well which makes for a very dangerous chance.

When I read stuff like this I wonder why he's a winger. His skill and IQ would point to him being a 1C. I know there is more to it obviousy like faceoffs and comfort level, as well as much more defensive responsibility, but has he ever been tried there at least?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Marner has been one of the best PKers I've seen. I'm of the opinion that most on the PK is fairly replaceable and that's why you shouldn't use stars there. Mitch is an exception.

This series he's been as passive and lost as everybody else though.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Wow. Marner has been a nightmare on the PK. Look at game 4 as an example of how not to kill a penalty. It’s floundering with him on it.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Marner is magic on the PK.

Arguably the reason he is on the PK during the season is just to stop Boston's PP in the playoffs.

Both PP goals were greasy. Neither of those go in during Game 7.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

Thanks in advance.
Marner scored a shorthanded goal while killing a penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad