Marner has reportedly hired private security and is refusing to speak with some members of the media

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
James Mirtle is saying that the personal security was hired to harass media. I don’t believe that for one second.

Mirtle is just bitter. What I do know, living in Toronto myself is that violence is on the rise, car jackings are on the rise and the fans in this city been saying crazy shit online. I doubt he hired security for the media but more so for overall protection.
Gonna hafta go with Mirtle's reporting over your wild guesses, sorry bro...

Last edited:

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

taylor-swift-ft-ice-spice-karma-official-visualizer-v0-5jrrf9qlg52b1.jpeg

Reactions: Stringer Bell

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
How do we even know if Marner has hired security? And now they have a name, and argue with fans?
The noise around Marner will soon subside. The Leafs will hire their new coach and fans will be excited about the new guy. A couple new players will be brought into the club. Fans will see them as good fits. Next season will start and Marner will put up points and the Leafs will win games. Fans will be happy.
This whole ‘Marner is the problem’ will pass.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The noise around Marner will soon subside. The Leafs will hire their new coach and fans will be excited about the new guy. A couple new players will be brought into the club. Fans will see them as good fits. Next season will start and Marner will put up points and the Leafs will win games. Fans will be happy.
This whole ‘Marner is the problem’ will pass.
Sure, I have no doubt though there is still a possibility for change in the so called core 4.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
It's hilarious to me that people were having meltdowns over Babcock making Mitch list his laziest teammates and then showing the list to the team... But now Mitch is hiring security that's calling out his teammates as lazy for the whole world to see. :laugh:

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sure, I have no doubt though there is still a possibility for change in the so called core 4.
Imo moving Marner will make his new a lot better and the Leafs worse. It could happen; we’ve seen it before. Kessel and Kadri come to mind.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Imo moving Marner will make his new a lot better and the Leafs worse. It could happen; we’ve seen it before. Kessel and Kadri come to mind.
Quite possibly, but the team needs a new direction. I like Keefe but I also advocated his firing I like Marner too but if they do trade one or more of the Core four I will support it too.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
He probably has, Mirtle didn’t give a time line on when security was hired. Most pro athletes have private security
Most no but some yes its the first time i hear about a hockey player needing security in soccer we have Ronaldo and Messi who are most probably the biggest names in the world do we have any football or basket ball players that need to walk around with security maybe Lebron but i dont even think 10% of the athletes need bodyguards

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Quite possibly, but the team needs a new direction. I like Keefe but I also advocated his firing I like Marner too but if they do trade one or more of the Core four I will support it too.
The pressure is on, that’s for sure. The Leafs have been a really good club pretty much since Marner arrived.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
They don't even have to trade him. They simply need to diversify their roster to the point where he doesn't play 21 minutes per night every night as a winger with a slight frame. These people are human beings ffs.

Since 2018-2019, he's averaged 30 seconds more than Matthews, 2:30 more than Tavares, 3:00 more than Nylander. Everyone might consider that one way to get better playoff performances out of him might be to leave something in the tank for the playoffs.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
No they don’t, especially not hockey players.

Why didn’t he go to the World’s, anyone know, JT went..
Canada needed someone to captain the team hence JT. I haven't seen a report about Marner though. Perhaps injury - he did have a poor playoff.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Didn't that carjacking happen two years ago?

Doesn't the OP state he just hired personal security recently?
He’s employed them for years, the media has just decided to start reporting on it now. Similar to how they sat on Babcock stories until he was fired. Likely just smell blood in the water with Marner and feel comfortable ripping him on his way out of town.

1715704475466.png

Reactions: Strangelove

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Kessel needed to go he was never gonna be the guy and the Leafs were going into a rebuild, the Kadri trade was horrendous only due to the fact that Kadri played with an edge which is what Toronto needs/ed, he was on a good contract.

Marner isn't on a good contract, he is entirely redundant in Toronto (soft skill guy) and unlike Kadri who only played 19 playoff games in Toronto has played nearly 60.

The Leafs don't even need a haul for him, just having his cap space is enough.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I would sit him every game if he did this.
The team would never do that.

They have enough of a hard time getting UFAs to Canada and then they all see how guys are treated when they exercise the rights in their contract. You can forget any decent UFAs.

Also, like it or not he is a good player and The Leafs are trying to win. They will play him.

tbh I don't see a way this ends well for anyone involved.....

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I’m starting to think the people of Toronto are not very nice
All of that depends really. we generally love and remember all ex-leafs. did you know even after Sundin refused to accept a trade and saying he wanted to retire a Leaf. then signs with VAN like midseason. when he played in Toronto again he got a near 5min standing ovation. I bet even Aki Berg could come and get cheered now.

Marner asked for the world and we gave him it, he is the writer of his own misfortune. I wish him all the luck in the world, hate to see him go but change is needed so cya bud

The team would never do that.

They have enough of a hard time getting UFAs to Canada and then they all see how guys are treated when they exercise the rights in their contract. You can forget any decent UFAs.

Also, like it or not he is a good player and The Leafs are trying to win. They will play him.
didnt say it was a good idea to do it. also little frustration in the response but what u said would obviously happen and be the smartest move

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad