Marner has reportedly hired private security and is refusing to speak with some members of the media

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Ridiculous how much hate he gets. He is easily the player I've enjoyed watching most over the past decade on this team.

If he goes somewhere else, he will f***ing light it up.

And that’s quite honestly the best for him, he’s being scapegoated by the Toronto media and fans.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Not defending Mitch but why the hell should players have to be made available after games?

Yes, Mitch has a reputation of being blah blah blah (thanks mainly to his Dad probably) but the f***ing Toronto media is the worst in the NHL and near the top in any league in NA.

Reactions: dukeofjive

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Shanahan created the mess of this version of the Leafs. The players agents took advantage of Shanahan and Dubas. Demanding the contracts Matthews, Marner and Nylander were given after their entry level contracts was a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: DamonDRW

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Ridiculous how much hate he gets. He is easily the player I've enjoyed watching most over the past decade on this team.

and then disappearing when it matters most.

And that’s quite honestly the best for him, he’s being scapegoated by the Toronto media and fans.
thought he was treated like a God ?

parrots.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I've been a long time Marner fan. But that "we're like gods here" comment was one of the most ignorant and tone-deaf things I can remember an athlete saying.

I don't feel he absolutely has to be traded. But he's the one I'd pick to move from the core four.

Agreed, that wasn't a good comment to make let alone after a Game 7 loss.

Hes the only one they can move from the core anyhow. Matthews isn't going anywhere and also just signed an extension, Nylander just lined an extension and Tavares isn't going to waive his NMC.

Reactions: banks

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
some fans are stupid, they put all the blame on 1 guy everyone else gets a free pass apparently.
bever head anyone put the blame on one guy in Toronto.......it has been tears of anybody but the core 4. Gardner, Freddy, Kadri, Babcock, Brodie, Holl, Campbell, Samsinov, Dubas, .......finally gets around to some accountability on Marner .....and him and his fans start whining.

It aint one guys fault......they have been losing with Marner and 50 other guys ever since Mitchy got to T.O

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Reactions: viper0220

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This is why some other fan bases enjoy seeing the Leafs lose. Not painting all fanbases with a broad brush as Vancouver rioted to be fair, but you don't hear this out of other cities.
Ya dont see it in Toronto either. Till today.
Didn't Marner just say he's been treated like a God in Toronto. ?

Reactions: AvroArrow

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
Not defending Mitch but why the hell should players have to be made available after games?

Yes, Mitch has a reputation of being blah blah blah (thanks mainly to his Dad probably) but the f***ing Toronto media is the worst in the NHL and near the top in any league in NA.
I've never understood this with sports in general. Isn't part of the coach's job to be the media presence and to talk about pre/post-game stuff? The players shouldn't have to deal with the braindead media after a game. Let the coach take all the heat and dish it out.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I've never understood this with sports in general. Isn't part of the coach's job to be the media presence and to talk about pre/post-game stuff? The players shouldn't have to deal with the braindead media after a game. Let the coach take all the heat and dish it out.
Fanbases and media-- the entities from which franchises get their $ -- want to hear from players, not just coaches.

Reactions: Rebels57

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Funny, in the last 72 hours I've read on the main boards more of misquoting and misrepresenting what Marner said (saying he called himself a god which btw has a thousand likes on front page).

Leafs market can be toxic, but neutral fans are equally as toxic and help drive these toxic narratives through social media. Also reading some the things said about Keefe today, the main board thread is way more toxic than the Leafs board one.

I'm sure the narrative will change when Keefe and Marner find new homes. It always does.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018

yep in the regular season 90-100 points then be the same 3 points in the playoffs . he should go to utah or columbus somewhere themedia wont annoy him .

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
I hope he gets out of that cesspool and goes on to live a normal life. If he hired private security it was probably because he actually needed it and not because he didn’t want to answer certain questions. What a joke.
Marner really is nowhere near as popular in Toronto as he seems to think he is. And i don't mean he's hated, just the vast majority of people don't know who he is. He's really not very well known.

And as for the media. Can someone give any example of the media crossing the line or even grilling Mich while asking him questions?

This is almost entirely in his head and based on his inability to accept criticism.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'm sure the narrative will change when Keefe and Marner find new homes. It always does.

I remember arguing with folks telling me Kessel was untradeable and a locker room cancer and no team would ever take him. I remember when Leaf fans were laughed at for literally years for saying Tavares was coming home and how shocked people were when it happened. A month later it was apparently common knowledge. I remember a poll showing Tavares was a top 7 center in the league in June, and another one was done 6 weeks later after he signed in Toronto and he was just inside the top 20.

This will be the same thing. Folks who made fun of the Leafs core will say it was never Marner. Always the guys we keep, never the guys we move. Keefe will go on and get a team to the playoffs and be called a good coach, and the folks saying playoffs are all that matter will shift goalposts for the argument.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i find this hard to believe that an nhl player with his ability to disappear would need security. just treat the real world like playoffs and ghost/vanish

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Schrodinger's Toronto:
Incredibly toxic place, awful fans and awful media that ruin players
Also
All the superstars stay, they say they're treated like Gods and refuse to waive their NMC

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC

In Mitch's case, he should be available because of the "A" on his jersey. it's part of being a leader.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
yep in the regular season 90-100 points then be the same 3 points in the playoffs . he should go to utah or columbus somewhere themedia wont annoy him .
Marner has the most points in the playoffs out of anyone in the core 4.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Imagine having your salary indirectly paid by people who pay to watch you pay and not having the respect to show your face to the media after the game.

It's part of being a public figure

Reactions: AvroArrow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad