Marner has reportedly hired private security and is refusing to speak with some members of the media

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Congrats on missing the point, and in rather spectacular fashion.

They were saying of all the hate he gets, this is the weirdest. Read the story.
Sure but I don't believe OP shared this story because they were sympathizing with Marner's weird "hate" as the article frames it, the thread title is kind of a giveaway.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Ahh yes, Nylander has never got a hard time from the media here. Never.

And I mean let's ignore the fact that both Matthews and Nylander had literal injuries in this series.
I am out in Edmonton and I have Marner's name about 500 times compared to Nylander. JT about 7 times and Matthews once. There is a lot of smoke with the hatred towards MM right now and I am guessing that it has gone to the dark side. Everyone has decided he is the bad guy and my guess it has gone beyond acceptable at this point in time

Pete Taylor

Dec 11, 2017
Honestly think that Mitch seems like a good dude, and his playoff performances truly get overblown to the max playing in Toronto.

He definitely needs to get moved to a US team, or even a less popular Canadian team, you can see how all of this is weighing on him. He is not built for the Toronot market, not many players are. Would be shocked to see him start next year on the Leafs.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Hiring private security isn't a big deal. Many pro athletes hire bodyguards. Especially if they have been threatened and let's face it, fans can be stupid. Whether the threats were credible or just someone being overzealous behind a keyboard is a different argument.

But the article is about Marner having his security harass media personal. Not about him receiving threats.... this report is weird.

Reactions: crassbonanza

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I am out in Edmonton and I have Marner's name about 500 times compared to Nylander. JT about 7 times and Matthews once. There is a lot of smoke with the hatred towards MM right now and I am guessing that it has gone to the dark side. Everyone has decided he is the bad guy and my guess it has gone beyond acceptable at this point in time
Anyone doing the griddy as much as Marner is going to get an excessive amount of hate, regardless of their playoff performances.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
But the article is about Marner having his security harass media personal. Not about him receiving threats.
Not exactly. It is about "Of all the hate against Leafs' Mitch Marner, this accusation is the weirdest
Marner, 27, has reportedly hired private security and is refusing to speak with some members of the media, reporter James Mirtle of The Athletic claims on The Leaf Report podcast" it about something that Mirtle claimed he had heard in his podcast. Mods should really change the title of the thread to reflect the title of the article and lable it speculation.

Reactions: Voight

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
People need to ask WHY? HE has done it and judging by the responses here... something has happened and all the TO media and fan are laying the blame on him. Media stirred a pot that did not need to be stirred and my guess is something has happened in one way or another that has caused this to happen.

Call him what you like. But something has happened that we do not know about. We all know Canadian hockey fans can get a bit extreme when they lose

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
People need to ask WHY? HE has done it and judging by the responses here... something has happened and all the TO media and fan are laying the blame on him. Media stirred a pot that did not need to be stirred and my guess is something has happened in one way or another that has caused this to happen.

Call him what you like. But something has happened that we do not know about. We all know Canadian hockey fans can get a bit extreme when they lose
Why Mirtle said that he heard something on his podcast?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Hot take, Mirtle asks dumb questions, or says something to offend Marner and doesn't like it when Marner says, screw you, I won't answer your questions.

Personally, there are many people in Edmonton that wish every Mark Spector question was answered with "Next question.".

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The hatred for Mitch gone beyond that which is normal. We do not have all the details as to why he did this. The media, in my honest opinion has given both JT and Matthews a free pass. JT for some unknown reason is consider a golden child still and he is far more responsible for that leafs sucking then Mitch

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
This thread is proof positive of how insane and toxic the Toronto market is and why they’ll never win anything.

I dunno if we can put this one on the toxic Toronto market. Matthews has failed his entire career as well but he doesn't get nearly the reaction Marner gets. Marner just has a unique unlikability it's hard to put into words. He's just the kind of guy you want to see fail and it even seeks into his own fans eventually.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The hatred for Mitch gone beyond that which is normal. We do not have all the details as to why he did this. The media, in my honest opinion has given both JT and Matthews a free pass. JT for some unknown reason is consider a golden child still and he is far more responsible for that leafs sucking then Mitch
What did he do?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad