Marner has reportedly hired private security and is refusing to speak with some members of the media

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
No meant their whole careers beginning to end. Sundin and Kaberle played elsewhere as well

Ahhhh. Sorry, misread your post.

I don't know who the last "whole career" player would be with over 500 games.

There's a fair chance the next one is Rielly, although he may want to play at home in Vancouver at league min or something close to the end.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Some of the media is just blaming him and giving to the two other gods a free pass. Why the media is being harder on him then JT is beyond me

Ahh yes, Nylander has never got a hard time from the media here. Never.

And I mean let's ignore the fact that both Matthews and Nylander had literal injuries in this series.

Reactions: Voight

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_8403.gif

Reactions: viper0220

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
NBA/NFL Soccer players and probably MLB players have security teams. It probably happens in the NHL too.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I dislike everyone involved here... but it seems like 90% of people posting in this thread did not read the article.

The article is not about Marner fearing for his safety and the article is not criticizing him for having security.

IMO this is a nothingburger until we hear what "harass" means in this context (& then of course the accusation would need to be substantiated).

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Told you it wouldn’t be hard to pressure Marner to waive, just unleash the media, take their chains off

If the Leafs won none of this would even be a story. They’re putting the screws to Marner and will force him to move.

Everyone who ever said ‘NMC’ can just be ignored from here on out

All a NMC does is give the player a choice in where they go, the team is always in control of the personnel

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Mirtle sounds butthurt as f***. Dudes either making shit up or spreading rumors. Why would you say something like that as a journalist without substantiating it? “You hear about” it? You’re literally the most qualified profession to follow up on a rumor and get to the bottom of it before spouting it out to the public (read: your job). What a hack.
Yeah, it's certainly possible Mirtle(who once responded to me on HFboards if I recall correctly) is grinding an axe here. I don't know, until there is a clarification. The quote is more of an inference than fact. Need sources. So we are left to speculate.

To make an accusation of having Marner's security people harass media that do not ask Marner soft ball questions is nothing I have ever heard of in hockey. One is wrong here, and neither look good in all of this.

Also I wish people would read the article. It has nothing to do with Marner hiring security for himself for safety reasons, he has every right to. it's got all to do with Marner trying to control the media through his Security staff. That's Mirtle's assertion. Either way, it is not a good look for one of the 2. Either this is true or it is not. It's not helping Marner's reputation that's for sure.

Reactions: Bartcal

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Told you it wouldn’t be hard to pressure Marner to waive, just unleash the media, take their chains off

If the Leafs won none of this would even be a story. They’re putting the screws to Marner and will force him to move.

All a NMC does is give the player a choice in where they go, the team is always in control of the personnel

You're celebrating a coordinated harrassment campaign against a player?

Do you see the irony? The same forces that make Marner waive also ensure the Leafs will never win a Stanley Cup. It's a cesspool of an environment that breeds choking and resentment.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You're celebrating a coordinated harrassment campaign against a player?

Do you see the irony? The same forces that make Marner waive also ensure the Leafs will never win a Stanley Cup. It's a cesspool of an environment that breeds choking and resentment.

I highly disagree. The questions the media asked during locker cleanout day were very soft. The players are being coddled for the most part. Marner is just a very soft person and player. If the media tries to slightly hold him accountable for the poor playoff performance, then so be it. It’s not his first very poor series either. He needed to produce, and he has not. That’s why his time in Toronto is pretty much done. These guys have been give everything by Leafs management. Money, NMCs, amazing amenities, etc. Yea, it’s so hard playing in Toronto.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I will say this much, for Marner, in hockey terms minus all of the distractions and baggage. He is a marvellously talented hockey player, at 9.5M I would like on my team. I think this is fair, given Tkachuk who is better all around and brings more to the table than Marner has ever given, especially in the playoffs. But if the bizarre accusations against him are true, this guy needs a clean slate, and some strong mentorship on a strong character team. Time is not too late for this, but 30 is just around the corner. He needs to mature fast.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Actually the NMC will restrict the market. The player will say no to any place he doesn’t want. And Marner could decide to play out his contract in Toronto and pick his new club as a UFA in July 2025. A player with a NMC controls everything.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Just speak with the media, they just lob soft balls in Toronto all the time anyways.
Sow some accountability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmo89

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Wait wait wait, when is the mayor of Toronto going to hold a “Mitch Marner appreciation day”? I thought they were such a wholesome fanbase that hates seeing people being mean to players

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
There are statues of players outside Scotiabank Arena of players that never won the cup. Pressure? LOL. All the fans want is just a couple of deep playoff runs every now and then. Don’t even need to win the cup in order to be considered “heroes”. What a toxic market, am I right?

Reactions: Jmo89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad