Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
tenor.gif

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I think we need to move away from "shutdown" lines this year. Move Marner with Matthews making his line better offensively without the defensive vulnerability. Then put Nylander with Tavares and Hyman to give them a more speed and offensive flair. Stop sheltering Matthews and run that line regardless of what the other coach throws on the ice. Nylander will be insane if he plays with puck getters like Hyman and Tavares where he can play the perimeter game.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I see Mitch coming into this season a lot stronger and more focused, I think he nets 30+ goals
Sometimes living up to a big new contract can have a negative impact on a players performance as they try too hard to validate it.

If Marner gets > $10 mil he it will come with increased production expectations where 30 goals and 110 points might be the new level fans are hoping for, and levels Marner will be attempting to achieve.

Reactions: Maple Leafs

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Part of me wants Dubas to draw a line in the sand and give his best offer. This deal is probably holding up other moves that need to be made. They're in a holding pattern until Mitch signs.....or doesn't

Reactions: Menzinger

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't think Marner will be the first to sign unless the Leafs give him top dollar, which they may have to do anyhow. Virtually no key RFA's have signed yet. None of Marner, Laine, Rantanen, Aho, Point, Trouba, Karlsson, Werenski, Connor, Tkachuk, Boeser, Provorov, Koneckny, etc... have signed.

One or two of those will break the ice and then I think we'll see a bunch of them signing shortly thereafter.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't think Marner will be the first to sign unless the Leafs give him top dollar, which they may have to do anyhow. Virtually no key RFA's have signed yet. None of Marner, Laine, Rantanen, Aho, Point, Trouba, Karlsson, Werenski, Connor, Tkachuk, Boeser, Provorov, Koneckny, etc... have signed.

One or two of those will break the ice and then I think we'll see a bunch of them signing shortly thereafter.

I say Point signs first unless he is going to be traded. More on team comparable earning $9.5 or less if he is going to stay there he should know he wont get much more than Kuch if any at all

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Part of me wants Dubas to draw a line in the sand and give his best offer. This deal is probably holding up other moves that need to be made. They're in a holding pattern until Mitch signs.....or doesn't

yeah I agree with this, I don't expect him to take a hometown discount but he must know the knock on effect to improve the team needs to start soon. That is where he can help his hometown team, don't drag it out. In the end its his right to hold out though nylander used it marner could to.

lets hope they find their middle ground and sign him up, get dubas onto those sweet sweet trades

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

A flip side to playing hardball is that if/when the flood of offersheets July 1st never materializes, Marners agents leverage goes down the toilet.

Flip side is that not having Marner signed makes it difficult to make other moves

Reactions: kb

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON

This had better not turn into a Nylander Part 2 kinda signing.. I hope he signs soon, he is holding up everything else that needs to be done.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Marner is not holding anything up

Zaitsev and Marleau will/ not be traded until their bonus is paid July 1.

Kappay and Johnsson can be signed anytime or maybe a trade is in the works but not announced yet.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Pat Brisson spoke briefly with Kyle Dubas at the Draft Combine in Buffalo. The Leafs are keeping that door open, but this — and it’s a big but — they really can’t go there until they figure out Mitch Marner. That’s the reality of it. Because of that, I think it’s almost inevitable that Pat Brisson will end up hearing from teams as of June 23rd when the UFA speaking period opens.
I know from talking to other teams that they can’t wait for him to get to June 23rd. He is going to have a lot of teams on his doorstep. You just don’t have top-four defensemen go to market that often. Erik Karlsson is a story on his own, but Tyler Myers, Jake Gardiner, and to some degree Anton Stralman will get lots of attention.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
McKenzie on Game 7, Maple Leafs off-season plans and more (TSN1050)
Bob McKenzie joined First Up with Landsberg and Colaiacovo to discuss the anticipation for a crazy couple of weeks upcoming in the NHL offseason.
On whether the Marner situation dominates the agenda for Dubas:
It dominates everything because everything does stem from that, but he has still got to conduct other business. He can talk trade for Zaitsev and Marleau and field offers on Kadri and Kapanen. I’m sure he is doing all of that. The General Manager, the very nature of the job title means that many things are happening at the same time. Managers manage it. I’m sure that is what he is doing and I am sure it is very busy times for him because there are a lot of balls in the air.
It is going to be rumour central on all teams [in the next few weeks], including the Leafs. Understandably so, everyone in Toronto and much of Canada right now is focused on the Raptors, but whenever that series ends, it is going to be full steam ahead on the hockey news front. It is usually the busiest two weeks of the season — from now until July 1st is when virtually every team in the NHL basically lay out their blueprint for what their team is going to look like next year and make all the moves necessary. It’s buyout season, draft season, RFA and UFA, you name it.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. You’d think Point and Aho might get a little more but I think you’re right, I won’t be surprised to see Marner get that top dollar among RFA FWDs.

This crop just reminds you of what a great rookie class we had 3 years ago!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Kappay and Johnsson can be signed anytime or maybe a trade is in the works but not announced yet.

You need to know what Marner is making before you can sign Johnsson, Kapanen and then sort out the defense with any sort of certainty, were going to be tight on the cap ceiling so even 500K could have significant knock on effects

So knowing if Marner is making 9.5M or 11M is pretty ******* important

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Not Mitch himself but the process is holding things up.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
No reason for marner to even talk to the leafs until after he's heard from other teams.

Even if there's no official offer sheet, just knowing teams ate willing to go to double digits will force the leafs hand.

Funny this is another example of the young GMs ineffective communication style. He said after the season it was vital they get marner done in June. Doesn't look like that will happen and unless nobody shows interest in marner, it's going to cost us.

Wonder how much he wishes he took that $9M x 8 offer the marner camp pitched last summer. Big league mistake. Big league.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
No reason for marner to even talk to the leafs until after he's heard from other teams.

Even if there's no official offer sheet, just knowing teams ate willing to go to double digits will force the leafs hand.

Funny this is another example of the young GMs ineffective communication style. He said after the season it was vital they get marner done in June. Doesn't look like that will happen and unless nobody shows interest in marner, it's going to cost us.

Wonder how much he wishes he took that $9M x 8 offer the marner camp pitched last summer. Big league mistake. Big league.

How is it leverage if there's no formal offer sheet? No one is going to overpay Marner by several million dollars AND pay 4 1sts for the privilege of doing so, it's a non-threat. Even if we are in bizarro world and someone actually does that, good for them, take the picks.

You would have been the first guy criticizing him for paying a 69 point winger 9x8, sounding smart is easy when all you do is hindsight.

Our worst case scenario is we match a 10.5x5 and kick the can down the road for 5 years. 10.5 is easily survivable if the offer sheet doesn't do any damage to morale and the team controls the media optics.

Reactions: Azail
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad