Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
giphy.gif

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Hopefully Dubas has given Marner a bridge option, a 5yr option and an 8yr option and told his camp that is it. Marner gets a few weeks to decide and if he doesn't like it trade.

I'm totally done with it. Sign or trade Marner I will be happy with both

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Hopefully Dubas has given Marner a bridge option, a 5yr option and an 8yr option and told his camp that is it. Marner gets a few weeks to decide and if he doesn't like it trade.

I'm totally done with it. Sign or trade Marner I will be happy with both
I am with you for the most part but we should want absolutely zero part of a 5 year contract for Marner. Any other term length is preferably over 5 years....expect maybe a 1 year for the sole reason that we would have to go back through this all over again.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Hoping Marner will settle for 6x10

Anything less will be a steal.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The next 20 days will be fun. If they can’t find cap space by the draft, something has gone wrong.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
10x3 is an absolutely ridiculous ask. I would say that’s not even equivalent to the Matthews contract in terms of value. Thats a much more player friendly deal then what Matthews got.

That strategy worked for Matthews, so no reason Marner wouldn't try it.

Matthews offered 3 X $9 mil bridge ($27 mil total) and Leafs settled on a 5 X $11.634 mil [$58.17 mil]

Those extra 2 years cost the Leafs $31.17 mil or $15.585 mil per, so it averages out to $11.634 AAV.

So if Marner asks 3 X $10 mil for RFA years and then Marner get $15 mil for extra UFA years purchased, it would look like 4 X RFA years @$10 mil + 2 X UFA years at 15 mil = $70 mil over 6 years = $11.6 mil AAV just like Matthews. That is where that $11.6 mil ask is coming from, its based on what Leafs already just paid Matthews a few months back.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
That strategy worked for Matthews, so no reason Marner wouldn't try it.

Matthews offered 3 X $9 mil bridge ($27 mil total) and Leafs settled on a 5 X $11.634 mil [$58.17 mil]

Those extra 2 years cost the Leafs $31.17 mil or $15.585 mil per, so it averages out to $11.634 AAV.

So if Marner asks 3 X $10 mil for RFA years and then Marner get $15 mil for extra UFA years purchased, it would look like 4 X RFA years @$10 mil + 2 X UFA years at 15 mil = $70 mil over 6 years = $11.6 mil AAV just like Matthews. That is where that $11.6 mil ask is coming from, its based on what Leafs already just paid Matthews a few months back.

If Marner pulls this he gets moved.

Can I pull the same negotiation tactics at work that the Vice president of IT does? no.

Marner is take what he is given or he is gone.

EIther way its a win-win for the Leafs. Either Marner signs cheap or we get 4 pieces back in a deal.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Some of the numbers on here are absolutely nuts. No one know what they are talking about.

Name ONE pure playmaker in the NHL that gets paid like what you all are saying Marner should get?

Nicklas Bäckström got paid 11.28% of the cap. Based on an 83M cap thats 9.3624M.

Add inflation of 2%-3% this year and next year and still you are looking at a number around 9.5M.

That is Marners MAX, if he were to be an ELITE playmaking C. Which he is not. Marner is a winger.

NOTHING in the history of the salary cap or this sport points to a player like Marner making BIG MONEY.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Ok so Marner gets 10+, how is having 3 forwards making 10+ on the cap help us with the D core?

It doesn't effect us much at all.

Highest 3 F, Highest D, Highest G
Pittsburgh 2015-2016: 53.2% of Team's Salary Cap
Washington's 2017-2018: 47.9% of Team's Salary Cap

IF Marner signs at 10M:
Toronto 2019-2020: 51.4% of Team's Salary Cap

PLUS, it will only effect us less over time.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Some of the numbers on here are absolutely nuts. No one know what they are talking about.

Name ONE pure playmaker in the NHL that gets paid like what you all are saying Marner should get?

Nicklas Bäckström got paid 11.28% of the cap. Based on an 83M cap thats 9.3624M.

Add inflation of 2%-3% this year and next year and still you are looking at a number around 9.5M.

That is Marners MAX, if he were to be an ELITE playmaking C. Which he is not. Marner is a winger.

NOTHING in the history of the salary cap or this sport points to a player like Marner making BIG MONEY.

"No one knows what they are talking about" :laugh:

Backstrom had an internal comparable of Ovechkin.

Ovechkin proved to be much greater than Backstrom.

Marner can make a solid case that he is equivalent to Matthews, or at least MUCH closer to Matthews than Backstrom was to Ovechkin.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
If the speculated 10mil x 3 is real, then you need to start looking at trade packages. I love Marner, but that's just insulting to the Maple Leafs.

How isn't it insulting to Marner to not be paid like your teams leading scorer?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
If the speculated 10mil x 3 is real, then you need to start looking at trade packages. I love Marner, but that's just insulting to the Maple Leafs.

I don't know if it's an insult, he's in his right if he can get it.

That being said, he should be dealt if he's looking at 10m over 3 years. Not worth the headache in another 3 years.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I don't know if it's an insult, he's in his right if he can get it.

That being said, he should be dealt if he's looking at 10m over 3 years. Not worth the headache in another 3 years.

Lol, imagine the kind of uproar Chicago would have if they fealt Kane, because they didn't want to deal with the "headache" of signing a contract extension.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Lol, imagine the kind of uproar Chicago would have if they fealt Kane, because they didn't want to deal with the "headache" of signing a contract extension.

Did Kane's agent come out and publicly shit on Toews contract when he signed?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
No. But what would that have to do with anything?

His agent being a prick in how he handles negotiations would have a lot to do with things if I was GM. No problem with the player - he's dynamite. But if the rumoured numbers are true I'm walking away from the headache (and by 'walking away, I mean trading him for something substantial). It's only going to happen again, and again, and again.

Now he could sign a totally different deal tomorrow and it's moot. But it hasn't smelt right for a while. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Menzinger

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Ok so Marner gets 10+, how is having 3 forwards making 10+ on the cap help us with the D core?

ding ding ding. WE cant, and as fun as marner is it is way more prudent to invest in C's
JT, Matthews>>>>> JT, MArner (who would likely play together making us a 1 line team)

-all Leaf fans 2008-2016 "we need a 1C so badly, we will never compete without one"
-some Leaf fans 2016-2019 "oh look points, this winger is the best pay him dubas pay him!"

Reactions: kb

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
His agent being a prick in how he handles negotiations would have a lot to do with things if I was GM. No problem with the player - he's dynamite. But if the rumoured numbers are true I'm walking away from the headache (and by 'walking away, I mean trading him for something substantial). It's only going to happen again, and again, and again.

Now he could sign a totally different deal tomorrow and it's moot. But it hasn't smelt right for a while. I hope I'm wrong.

So you're willing to let go one of the best players in the NHL because his agent has a big mouth? :huh:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
ding ding ding. WE cant, and as fun as marner is it is way more prudent to invest in C's
JT, Matthews>>>>> JT, MArner (who would likely play together making us a 1 line team)

-all Leaf fans 2008-2016 "we need a 1C so badly, we will never compete without one"
-some Leaf fans 2016-2019 "oh look points, this winger is the best pay him dubas pay him!"

Let me direct you to post #13

It doesn't effect us much at all.

Highest 3 F, Highest D, Highest G
Pittsburgh 2015-2016: 53.2% of Team's Salary Cap
Washington's 2017-2018: 47.9% of Team's Salary Cap

IF Marner signs at 10M:
Toronto 2019-2020: 51.4% of Team's Salary Cap

PLUS, it will only effect us less over time.

If you trade anybody, its Nylander, not Marner.

Marner >> Nylander + 3M in capspace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad