Salary Cap: Marner contract signing watch discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No. Tampa has spun it to their players that the tax benefits are now JUST a perk for the team.

After tax deductions, Tampa players (who sign lower aav's) make fair market value. But the TEAM pays less total money to them than other teams do for comparable players (look at Stamkos vs Tavares). Tampa has spun it as JUST a perk for the team. That's because they have a good gm. As opposed to a bad gm.

Toronto is the richest team who can give more front-loaded signing bonus-laden contracts in a city that gives more endorsments than anyone else.
Our gm SHOULD be able to spin that into lower aav's, like Tampa can. But our gm sucks.

If you look a little more closely at Tampa Bay, you may notice they have a fairly bloated middle class that basically offsets the value contracts by their Big Three. Do you want to pay Gourde, Johnson and Palat a combined $15.4 million?

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Good God, I can feel brain cells dying

He was moved out of center because he's not suited to playing there, even in junior he was moved back to the wing because it suits his game better

He's a world class, playmaking RW not a center and the fact that even when we have significant injuries and/or suspensions to our centers he's not shifted there should tell you something

HE. IS. NOT. A. CENTER.

I agree 100% that in the past Marner should never be at C.

However he took major steps this season in the defensive department. Past couple of seasons he was JVR level in that regard.

I saw some flashes where he has the potential to become an elite 2-way center. He's more useful in the defensive zone as a C than he is at wing. Let's also not forget this guy is still 21-22. Lots of time to develop his faceoff skills.

If I was a betting man and you asked me if Marner could rise to the challenge of becoming a 90 point center, I'd bet in favor of Marner.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
No. Tampa has spun it to their players that the tax benefits are now JUST a perk for the team.

After tax deductions, Tampa players (who sign lower aav's) make fair market value. But the TEAM pays less total money to them than other teams do for comparable players (look at Stamkos vs Tavares). Tampa has spun it as JUST a perk for the team. That's because they have a good gm. As opposed to a bad gm.

Toronto is the richest team who can give more front-loaded signing bonus-laden contracts in a city that gives more endorsments than anyone else.
Our gm SHOULD be able to spin that into lower aav's, like Tampa can. But our gm sucks.
I think it meant something to steven stamkos to stay in tampa as well. He has a life there and a very good Stanley Cup potential team hes lead for years that was tight to the cap. He knew he could take the tax break and pretty much make up the difference.

I’m curious how you feel about the tavares signing by Kyle Dubas?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Oh are you. Ok lets start again genius. I said that Marner only lacks one skill at center. You have yet to list any deficiencies. If you are so blithely ignorant that you cant list even one of any importance then I suggest you find something better to do. Your childish harrassment is laughable. Go away little man.

:laugh:

What besides the never playing a pro game there thing

Then the moved out of there in junior thing

Then the doesn't take draws thing

Then the doesn't defend down low since he's a winger thing

Then it would seem he's worse at it than Nylander and Marleau thing

That's a lot of things there sport

Look I've been fairly civil with you, which you seem incapable of being so I don't appreciate you of all people accusing me of harassment and trolling, your lack of self awareness is astounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad