Prospect Info: Marner at the top of OHL scoring race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yeah, great culture we're forming with Babcock, Shanny, and Lou at the helm.

I don't see us taking anyone with character issues. Clearly the Nylander rumours were false :)

not to derail the thread too much - but sometimes when I can't sleep i just watch the pressers from the last few years of Shanahan et. al. And the one from Nylander's draft always sticks out to me because sometimes despite all the polish - Shanahan can't hide how he's really feeling. and he's just - talking abot you know, they're happy they got Nylander etc but then he just goes on how he talked to Michael Nylander, and all of his coaches etc, and the more Shanahan is talking... the more "cat that got the cream" satisfaction crept into his grin. It's like he knew that he got the steal in the top ten for sure and that it was predicated on Nylander's "bad attitude."

Marner is going to be the same way (i feel) - but more so re: his height. {though i mean it's tougher when you're drafted after the gen. talent + best centre in the first round - but scratch those two? i think so}.

I can't wait till the puck drops next season. I want to see MNM in action next year. There is 0% chance of Marner in the OHL again and idiots at the Toronto Star who think Matthews will be in the AHL are also out to lunch.

hehe M'N'M line. :heart: it. though to be fair, i'm never against anyone spending a LITTLE time in the AHL. I know that people always go nothing to learn etc etc, but I think it's more akin to "earn the jersey" and that brush of. EVERYONE has to go through it, you're no more special regardless if you are 1st OVA, 8th OVA or 4th OVA (or 144th OVA).

but I know Matthews will never see the inside of Ricoh, unless there's a Leaf event there or something.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I can't believe that backhand pass Marner did to spring Tkachuk... crazy pass. Dvorak pass was great too.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
You guys are sleeping on Nylander. With everything he's done there is no reason he can't be a high end 1st line C/W. He reminds me of a Backstrom/Kane type player. And so far he's exceeded all expectations. Having him on a 2nd line means he's going to eat a lot of teams alive. Now imagine Stamkos with AM, and Marner with William. Jesus...

It's an embarrassment of riches. Nylander would be the #1 ranked prospect on quite a few teams, and there's valid arguments to have him ranked #3 with us. :D

Nylander has the potential to be a #1C in this league. The prospect of him being our 2nd line centre in the future really speaks to our new found centre depth.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Some underrating of Nylander going on here. I think that the guy who was pacing for a 100 point AHL season at age 19 before getting a concussion at the WJC's would have higher potential than a fringe first line C no? Perhaps the highest ppg ever in the SHL for a U-19 season while playing for a disgraceful Modo team would also go a long way in arguing this?

leafs rule 11

Jul 28, 2007
Some underrating of Nylander going on here. I think that the guy who was pacing for a 100 point AHL season at age 19 before getting a concussion at the WJC's would have higher potential than a fringe first line C no? Perhaps the highest ppg ever in the SHL for a U-19 season while playing for a disgraceful Modo team would also go a long way in arguing this?

i hope ur not callling matthews as a fringe first line centre lol

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Who's the fringe first line center?

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
not to derail the thread too much - but sometimes when I can't sleep i just watch the pressers from the last few years of Shanahan et. al. And the one from Nylander's draft always sticks out to me ...

You just got me re-watching it. Great pick, though interesting to hear they were also very interested in Larkin... if i'll be honest, i think Larkin will be the better player between the two ... But i am 100% happy with Nylander.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It's an embarrassment of riches. Nylander would be the #1 ranked prospect on quite a few teams, and there's valid arguments to have him ranked #3 with us. :D

Nylander has the potential to be a #1C in this league. The prospect of him being our 2nd line centre in the future really speaks to our new found centre depth.

Not just a few. Quite literally every team.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

If you don't count players who aren't Calder eligible next year, Nylander would be the best prospect on at least 25 teams. Maybe more.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
I have Matthews, Marner, Nylander.

Marner just hasn't gotten his chance to show it in the NHL.

But they're a trio anyway. All core members. The three amigos. The three tenors. Goodfellas.

Me too.

Not that it matters in the end. All three are going to have great careers and they are all ours :handclap::handclap::handclap:

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
If the three guys reach their potential then you'd have something like this:

Kopitar - Kane
Spezza

Then again I would argue Matthews could turn out better than Kopitar and Nylander could be better than Spezza. But clearly Marners ceiling would be Kane's level.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
If the three guys reach their potential then you'd have something like this:

Kopitar - Kane
Spezza

Then again I would argue Matthews could turn out better than Kopitar and Nylander could be better than Spezza. But clearly Marners ceiling would be Kane's level.

And Kris Letang on the blueline (Rielly).

That's a scary lineup especially on the PP.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
No I'm talking about Nylander, directed at the guy last page who says his potential is a 1/2 c.
right now Mathews is ahead of them all ..if Mathews is a good as advertised and not every scout is a leaf hater ,hes pretty dam close to mats sundin quality .
so u signed kadri long term ,so at some point its gonna likely come down to marner .or nylander .
my opinion is nylander was given a nice long look ,marner wil get a look then one of those 2 wil separate themselves .
who knows if the the leafs sign anyone else at the worlds ,whether marner likes it or not he may not have a spot in the NHL this year ,for the first time in a decade most of the roster has to actually make the team

LOVIN THIS

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Babcock and DJ Smith were at the London game last night.

I heard a rumour he was suppose to be here tonight. I was looking around for a couple people but didnt see him in any of the boxes (I have family who has a box but I dont know which one it is, my Dad gave poor directions to it but could have watched there instead).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I heard a rumour he was suppose to be here tonight. I was looking around for a couple people but didnt see him in any of the boxes (I have family who has a box but I dont know which one it is, my Dad gave poor directions to it but could have watched there instead).

Lamoriello and Hunter are in Russia for the WC's. The coaches are staying in North America to check the OHL/AHL.

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008

That's the way it should be, considering that the Leafs finished 30th, 27th, and 23rd in the past 3 seasons. Our NHL roster is devoid of the talent that many other teams have. If we didn't have either of the players or the top prospects there would be a serious problem, and that's what we saw in the past years. So things are definitely looking up for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad