Marlies / Prospects Thread - Marlies training camp has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver

I like your conservative projections regarding point production in the ahl, although I think Brown will get less as it will take more time for a smaller framed player to acclimate to a more difficult league. Also, I doubt they will hand him top six minutes right off the bat. If Perlini returns to the OHL, I see Verhaeghe reaching 100 points.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
If anyone is interested in seeing Rinat Valiev, he's currently playing for Russia in U20 friendly games this week.

http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/schedule/league_instance/20720?subseason=165586

If you click on the "watch live" button, you can catch the pre-recorded game against the Czech Rep yesterday.

Freddy Gauthier is playing a game tonight at 7pm for Canada.

Did you watch?

How come we only have one invite to the Canadian orientation camp? Carter V not good enough or what?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Did you watch?

How come we only have one invite to the Canadian orientation camp? Carter V not good enough or what?

I havn't watched the first game yet. I can swing some posting at work, but videos are tricky. :laugh:

It's all there though. I'll probably try to catch the Russia/CZE game after I watch the Canada game live tonight.

SubyDubyTML

May 13, 2013
Pretty dissapointed that I missed Sweden practicing at Ed Meagher Arena the past week. I'm assuming they were open practices, would have loved to check it out.

Depending on work, i'm going to try to attend the Canada/Russia game on Friday.
Hope to get a look at Valiev & Gauthier.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Is Ben Ondrus still playing hockey? Random question but I used to like watching that guy play

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Marlies Appoint Ben Simon As Assistant Coach

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727855&navid=DL|TOR|home

The Toronto Marlies announced Tuesday that Ben Simon will join the team as an assistant coach alongside head coach Gord Dineen and associate coach Derek King for the 2014-15 season.

Simon, 36, served as head coach of the ECHL’s Cincinnati Cyclones last season. Under his direction, Cincinnati finished the regular season fifth in the Eastern Conference with a record of 41-23-4-4 for 90 points. The Shaker Heights, Ohio native led the Cyclones to the Kelly Cup Final where they were defeated by the Alaska Aces in six games.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Is Ben Ondrus still playing hockey? Random question but I used to like watching that guy play

He's a free agent right now and didn't play last year. I think he's still looking for work, maybe he can come in and play for Orlando of the ECHL??

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Carter Verhaeghe, I really though he would at least get an invite to Canada's WJ camp.

Yes, there's a good amount of people I thought he was better than. Maybe didn't like his style? Though with Perlini on the team, I thought they'd like to keep one of the best pairings in the CHL together, but maybe not. They are the reason why Niagara did decently on offense this year.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Yes, there's a good amount of people I thought he was better than. Maybe didn't like his style? Though with Perlini on the team, I thought they'd like to keep one of the best pairings in the CHL together, but maybe not. They are the reason why Niagara did decently on offense this year.

same selection mistake was made when they kept connor brown off even though he was familiar with macdavid. fortunately, it doesn't seem to be a mistake at the olympic level but i've been underwhelmed by junior selections.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Didnt watch but for those interest, 1g 1a 2pim (roughing)

Good few penatly minutes for canada, wonder if freddy got lots of ice time.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

I think it's just more of a case of his position putting him out of the running. I mean, look at the centers that are there.

He's not going to beat McDavid, Bennett, Petan, Reinhart out offensively, and Lazar/Horvat are multi-tool players. Gauthier has that 4th line center position all but locked up. He just can't compete with them.

He has past Hockey Canada experience playing at the U18's, so I don't think they are purposely passing on him because of that. It's just his position is among the deepest in hockey. Just the way the cards fall IMO.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think it's just more of a case of his position putting him out of the running. I mean, look at the centers that are there.

He's not going to beat McDavid, Bennett, Petan, Reinhart out offensively, and Lazar/Horvat are multi-tool players. Gauthier has that 4th line center position all but locked up. He just can't compete with them.

He has past Hockey Canada experience playing at the U18's, so I don't think they are purposely passing on him because of that. It's just his position is among the deepest in hockey. Just the way the cards fall IMO.

Pretty much - gotta think though that Verhaeghe would be one of the leading candidates if an injury arises though this season

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

That is true, but Lazar plays more RW than C now. He can play both, but most likely he's going to play RW if he makes it because of the depth.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Does anybody know anything about Jack Flinn, the 6'7" goalie we invited to camp? This article says he was one of the 6 best prospects at rookie camp because he got a shutout in the prospect game, but he didn't exact have to face as much as Bibeau.

He was on waviers by the Sherbrooke Phoenix in the QMJHL (aka the worst team overall) after posting awful numbers before being claimed by Owen Sound of the OHL and posting terrible numbers again. I don't think this person looked into him enough... No good goalie gives up a sub .900% on any team good or bad, not even Bibeau when he was with Charlottetown (one of the worst teams in the Q usually).

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/07/19/maple_leafs_six_prospects_who_stood_out_at_camp.html

Mar 12, 2009
Does anybody know anything about Jack Flinn, the 6'7" goalie we invited to camp? This article says he was one of the 6 best prospects at rookie camp because he got a shutout in the prospect game, but he didn't exact have to face as much as Bibeau.

He was on waviers by the Sherbrooke Phoenix in the QMJHL (aka the worst team overall) after posting awful numbers before being claimed by Owen Sound of the OHL and posting terrible numbers again. I don't think this person looked into him enough... No good goalie gives up a sub .900% on any team good or bad, not even Bibeau when he was with Charlottetown (one of the worst teams in the Q usually).

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/07/19/maple_leafs_six_prospects_who_stood_out_at_camp.html
.894 is really not drastcally different than the .900 Bibeau put up on a solid team in Val d'Or, where his performance was hailed as amazing. Bibeau has posted sub .900 in a season before. Not saying Flinn is anything special, just can't really rely solely on stats to project goalies. I suspect the organiation is interested in seeing if there is any work that can be done with him to make him a pro-calibre goalie, as guys that big don't come a long often and sometimes bigger goalies take longer to develop. Still probably nothing to get excited about, but I'm not sure how excited people should be getting about Bibeau either. Goalies seem to be hard enough to project even when watching them, let alone looking at stat sheets.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Gauthier looked good yesterday. His skating seems to have improved quite a bit, and he was taking the body more than I remember him doing before. As usual, he was excellent on the penalty kill with his big reach. A big stick reading and knowing the passing lanes is a real nice asset. He's still all about the cycle in the O zone, but with Pros that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The best player was probably Lazar, seemed like he was everywhere on the ice. I'd heard Jets fans say Morrissey was as good as Rielly, so I focused on him a bit aswell. He's no Morgan Rielly, that's for sure. He's a nice skater but his puck skills could use some work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad