Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - 2021/22 PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
How Nick Abruzzese has made his way closer to the Leafs — and to Beijing for the Olympics

Pretty cool article written by Joshua Kloke on Nick Abruzzese today. Nick is absolutely lighting it up this year with 21 pts in 13 games which is good for the best Pts/Game in the NCAA (1.62). Recently was the NCAA first star of the week with back to back to back 1G + 2A games.

I really feel like he's been slept on a bit for a variety of reasons. He had a late start to his collegiate career at 20 years old, and with no hockey in 2020-21 he is now in his sophomore season as a22 year old. I think some people feel like him dominating should be a given for whatever reason.

The fact of the matter is he is absolutely tearing it up and we have to view that as a good thing IMO. With the news dropping about him potentially making Team USA at the Olympics, this could really be a player we and the rest of the NHL takes more of a notice on here in the coming months.

I know some don't subscribe to the Athletic so I'll post some of the things I found interesting (bolded):

Abruzzese also skated with a group of former and current Harvard players including Leafs forward Alex Kerfoot. Skating with Kerfoot, among other NHL players, helped Abruzzese better understand the steps he needed to take to progress from college hockey to the NHL.

Kerfoot and Abruzzese would share insight about how, as players of similar heights, it was possible to maintain control of the puck against larger opposition. They also discussed succeeding as a Harvard hockey player on and off the ice.
The respect was mutual.

“(Abruzzese) has got dynamic skill, super good with the puck. He’s got an elite brain in my opinion,” said Kerfoot. “And the other thing you notice is just his hunger. He wants to get better. He wants to be the best player on the ice every night.”

Hopefully Kerf can serve as the liaison between MLSE and Abruzzese and convince him to sign an ELC instead of walking straight to UFA.

Every year, members of Harvard’s previous season’s team gather and cast votes to select the captains for the succeeding season’s team. Casey Dornbach, a 24-year-old senior, was perhaps an expected choice as one of the captains for 2021-22, but Abruzzese being named as co-captain came as a surprise. Harvard’s website lists the captains for the men’s hockey team going back to the 2002-03 season. In that time, only one non-senior was named a captain: current Grand Rapids Griffins centre Kyle Criscuolo in 2014-15, making Abruzzese the second non-senior to be named a captain.

“The players got it right, for sure,” said Marcou [coach] of their choice.

Pretty cool to read that he is respected by his peers.

Also seems to be a complete student of the game. Almost to a fault;

“He’s taken over and (dominated) on a consistent basis,” Marcou said. “Nick knows exactly what’s going to happen on the ice before anybody else does.”

And of course, that’s happened because of his aforementioned dedication to dissecting his own video. Even though his coaches wanted him to appreciate college life a little more, as it only comes around once, Abruzzese is resolute.

“I don’t think that’s something that’s going to ever change,” he said of his obsession with watching video. “I know there’s a lot of debate over whether you can teach hockey IQ. But watching video, the plays and the reads I’m making, and what changes I could have made if the play failed, that in my opinion is the best way to teach, or learn hockey IQ.”

And then the article finishes with what looks like a clear intent and desire to progress his game at the pro level. Which is massively comforting especially knowing that Kyle has made an effort to watch him play and having former Chicago Steel representation at the Marlie level.

He’s even grown comfortable enough admitting, while continued improvement is necessary, he can see a path from Harvard to Toronto. With the Marlies’ increased emphasis on providing young AHL rookies ice time under new GM Ryan Hardy, who was Abruzzese’s former GM with the Steel, a transition toward professional hockey to challenge Abruzzese makes sense to happen soon enough. Leafs GM Kyle Dubas attended a Harvard University game to watch Abruzzese, among other Leafs prospects, on January 2.

“Having been able to see the way pros go about their approach, what tools they have in their toolbox, I definitely do think, hopefully, I’ll get an opportunity one day to prove myself at that level,” said Abruzzese.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Also looks like Nick has has put on some weight and is listed at 5-foot-10, 174 pounds as per the article as well. Which does not align to his HockeyDB if anyone is looking at that

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I know this is old news, but William Villeneuve's team absolutely stacked up for the playoffs.

They picked up several high quality 03s, 02s, and 01s.

They added:
-Yan Kuznetsov: Calgary's 2020 2nd round pick. A sizeable top pairing qmjhl dman.
-Raivis Ansons: Pittsburgh's 2020 5th round pick posting over a ppg.
-Philippe D'aoust: Ottawa's 6th round pick in 2020, he is an overager who posted over a ppg last season.
-Vincent Sevigny: An overage dman posting over a point per game, could get signed this offseason
-Marshall Lessard: Another 02 winger posting above a point per game. Plays a gritty game.
-Two Starting Goalies: Nick Hurtubise and Thomas Couture
-Several Older Depth Pieces: Connor Trenholm a fast two-way 03 center, Nicholas Blagden 02 winger.

Macdonald (TBL) - Lawrence - Dufour (NYI)
Ansons (Pitts) - D'aoust (OTT) - Lessard
Burns - Francis (CGY) - Reynolds
Picard - Trenholm - Chantler
Extras: Blagden, Bezeau,

Poirier (CGY) - Desroches
Kuznetsov (CGY) - Villeneuve (TOR)
Sevigny - Drapeau
Despont

Nick Hurtubise
Thomas Couture
Noah Patenaude

- That's 8 Nhl Draft Picks, highest across all chl teams.

For a team who isn't performing that well, this is quite the drastic deadline. Maybe they make a run, hopefully this doesn't reduce Villeneuve's ice time.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marlies win 4-2. Goal and assist for SDA. Kral a goal and Hollowell 2 assists.
4 straight wins now. Only the 2nd time they have won 4 in a row under Moore. Despite coaching among other things wrong with this team, if the playoffs started today, Marlies would recieve a 1st round bye.

Last edited:

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
So in the last thread a poster was mentioning that we can't expect every prospect to make it. That is true.

However, I also think keeping prospects and developing them correctly is a good goal to aim for in the cap era.. For example, lets look at Tampa Bay. Have they traded away prospects and picks? They have but they've also kept alot of their prospects who are currently on the team. They've also signed college UFAs very smartly as well.

Looking back all the way to 2015 where cap started to get tight, they have successfully drafted and developed into NHL players: Joseph, Cirelli, Stephens, Katchouk, Raddysh, Howden (traded), Colton, and Cal Foote.

Tampa has been a pretty good drafting team, could be better but not too bad. They also developed Boulet as well. I'm sure I may be missing others but my point is, keeping players to develop is never a bad thing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know this is old news, but William Villeneuve's team absolutely stacked up for the playoffs.

They added:
-Yan Kuznetsov: Calgary's 2020 2nd round pick. A sizeable top pairing qmjhl dman.
-Philippe D'aoust: Ottawa's 6th round pick in 2020, he is an overager who posted over a ppg last season.
-Vincent Sevigny: An overage dman posting over a point per game, could get signed this offseason
-Marshall Lessard: Another 02 winger posting above a point per game. Plays a gritty game.
-Several Older Depth Pieces: Connor Trenholm a fast two-way 03 center, Nicholas Blagden 02 winger.

Sevigny - Drapeau
Despont

Nick Hurtubise
Thomas Couture
Noah Patenaude

For a team who isn't performing that well, this is quite the drastic deadline. Maybe they make a run, hopefully this doesn't reduce Villeneuve's ice time.

I really wanted Yan Kuznetsov :(

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
ROTENBERG
It's crazy how he's portrayed as some conniving Darth Vader figure. The most powerful man in Russia hellbent on the destruction of the NHL!!! Sweet Jesus.
In reality Rotenberg is an arrogant, incompetent, dumbass, spoiled rich kid with grandois ideas that people roll their eyes at. The son of an oligarch. He's the dude responsible for the ridiculous Big Red Machine media campaign. Few people can stand him.

But he is influential. Like everyone he wants to keep kids in Russia but knows the NHL is the final destination for our better players.
So the objective is to keep kids home as long as possible and develop them properly for the betterment of the sport in this country. Because going to NA too early results in disaster most of the time. Especially for forwards.
The NHL will eventually get the best guys. But the NHL's "I want him now! now! now!" sense of entitlement is what is frowned upon.

To achieve this Rotenberg has turned SKA into a quasi-NTDP, drafting tons of the best kids to SKA offering the best facilities, coaching and development. Khusnutdinov just signed extension because of this. And for those likely to leave there's still a huge incentive for SKA to develop them for future National Team purposes.
And any U20 coach's roster (not just Zubov) will have a boatload of SKA kids. SKA's talent pool alone dictates this. It's kind of like CSKA back in the old Soviet days.

That said, Rotenberg hardly has full authority. He wrestles with the FHR heads. Coaching selections appear to be a compromise, with the established Federation guys having more pull lately.
But how is any of this anti-NHL? Our entire national coaching staff is comprised of NHL-friendly coaches. U20 coach Zubov still works for the Dallas of the NHL. The Senior Team coaches are Zhamnov, Fedorov, Gonchar and Nabokov; all NHL guys who are on record supporting players' NHL aspirations.
Tell again, how exactly are players being punished/coerced?...or at least more than any other country?

I hope this dispels some myths and answers some questions.

Not to get too off topic with this Russian stuff again. But Roman Rotenberg named himself head coach of SKA St. Petersburg recently. Do you eventually see him doing the same with the Russian National Team? Is that the endgame here?
If so what does that mean for players in (or heading to) North America. e.g.Amirov, SDA, Ovchinikov, Abramov?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

They added:

Sevigny - Drapeau
Despont

Nick Hurtubise
Thomas Couture
Noah Patenaude

They are hosting the Memorial Cup. They are already guaranteed a chance at a Championship.

But it is a team that has really struggled to defend. I still think they will struggle to defend. I don't think they did a great job trying to add to their defense. They just swapped out one good goalie for another good goalie, and then added Sevigny, who I do not really think is that good of a defender... He is just more offense.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Random thought, but i'm surprised in hindsight that Dubas didn't throw a late round pick at Josh Doan in 2020 when he went undrafted, especially over a guy like Fusco.

You have the obvious Chicago Steel connection (Ryan Hardy, Abbruzzese, Miller), but Doan had .31PPG in his draft year compared to .45PPG for recent pick Joe Miller - comparable. Easy to say now, but I would have bet on that bloodline and size package. Obvious Matthews-Doan connection too.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Random thought, but i'm surprised in hindsight that Dubas didn't throw a late round pick at Josh Doan in 2020 when he went undrafted, especially over a guy like Fusco.

You have the obvious Chicago Steel connection (Ryan Hardy, Abbruzzese, Miller), but Doan had .31PPG in his draft year compared to .45PPG for recent pick Joe Miller - comparable. Easy to say now, but I would have bet on that bloodline and size package. Obvious Matthews-Doan connection too.
I think the koster pick encouraged the leafs to pick more high school players.

Fusco actually looked pretty good albeit as a d+1 in a high school league. He was quite dominant. However, he has an aggressive mindset, but i don’t think he has the tools for that play style to work at the nhl level. What really hurts this pick is that he will not receive good playing time for harvard and it appears to get worse as the harvard d is really young especially at rhd.

Doan should have been prioritized over miller as doan was going back to the ushl for an overage year. The leafs should have realized that doan would have received more playing time than miller. Miller scored a lot, but he’s not dominant. In his first ushl season, i found that he was easy to shut down. Miller needs space to score, but i don’t think he creates that space well, at least last year.

But yeah, doan would have been a better pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knies iT

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

Outside of drafting him for his namesake, Josh Doan really did not look good in his draft year. Heck, even last season he was usually the 3rd best forward on his line most games. I think the only reason he was drafted so high by the Yotes last season was that he's a big body kid who is local and the son of your franchise player. The fact that he's really taken off and done so well has to be a surprise to most not to mention once again, he has a great supporting cast of players around him who have allowed him to play his style of game.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kinda OT...makes me sad to see Schneider score first goal in his first game while struggling to see Amirov get games in at all :(

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yea the Amirov pick isn't aging too well, and it's basically been out of Amirovs control as to why.

They need to sit down with Amirov and Millstein at the end of the year and sell him on the AHL next year. They have Abramov, SDA & Gogolev to help transition him a bit to North America.

The next concern is $$, they can artificially get him a bit more $$ by recalling him on certain days and then send him back down for games, should help off set any $$ from the KHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad