Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
From: The Toronto Sun > Sports > Hockey > NHL > Toronto Maple Leafs
'STATE OF SHOCK': Marlies forfeit game after coach medical emergency
Lance Hornby
Published: January 11, 2020
Updated: January 11, 2020 6:25 AM EST

Friday night’s road game between the Toronto Marlies and Texas Stars in Cedar Park near Austin was forfeited to the home team after Toronto assistant coach Rob Davison experienced a medical emergency in the visitors room prior to puck drop and the farm club elected not to play.

Davison, 39, was transported immediately to hospital where he was being evaluated and remained under medical supervision.

Citing league rule 66.1, centred on non-compliance to start a game, the American Hockey League gave the Stars a 1-0 forfeit win. The league was made aware of Davison’s situation an hour before the 7 p.m. local scheduled start and made two attempts to reschedule, postponing it to 7:30 p.m. and then 8:30. ...

Read more at: ‘STATE OF SHOCK’: Marlies forfeit game after coach medical emergency

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statement regarding Friday’s Marlies-Stars game
January 10, 2020

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League has announced that the Toronto Marlies have elected to forfeit their game this evening against the Texas Stars in Cedar Park, Texas.

Per AHL Rule 66.1, the Stars have been awarded a 1-0 victory.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
First off, and most importantly, I hope Rob Davison recovers from the incident.

Secondly, the AHL should be embarrassed that they forced the Marlies to forfeit that game. That game could have been rescheduled for this upcoming Monday through Wednesday as Toronto plays at San Antonio Sunday and Thursday.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown

Secondly, the AHL should be embarrassed that they forced the Marlies to forfeit that game. That game could have been rescheduled for this upcoming Monday through Wednesday as Toronto plays at San Antonio Sunday and Thursday.

yes, they should be embarrassed. you would think a developmental league would realize seeing this could effect the players, especially the younger ones.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

Nobody has ever accused Dave Andrews and his minions of being smart! This has PR nightmare written all over it...especially should Toronto miss the playoffs by a point or 2

Reactions: Tommy Hawk

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Lousy that the Marlies had to forfeit. Glad Davison is OK. I wonder what happens if the Marlies miss out on the postseason or lose home ice for a series due to these two points.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Just goes to show how bush league the AHL is. Never would have happened in actual pro sports.

Reactions: 210

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I'm guessing this was a marlies decision to forfiet the game. It was probably their only trip to Texas.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to postpone the game and only play it if it had a affect on a playoff position????

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I haven't seen (nor looked) for article on the decision process to forfeit. (What I have seen is that the league only offered postponement by hour or few for start.)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The Mariles were in Texas until Thursday. That game could have been played on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.

Texas had a game Wednesday, so would have had to have been Monday (3 in 3) or Tuesday.

You also have the officials schedule to be concerned with.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Like I have said multiple times in multiple places, they could have played that game at some point during the Marlies stay in Texas.
Certainly seems possible, however we don't know the building availability (were there concerts or other events the other nights?), the availability of officials to work the game, travel schedule or other events for both teams (Maybe the home team was scheduled for a team event on Monday?) Maybe the Marlies already had hotel rooms booked for the other nights in the other city and forfeited to avoid the cost of re-booking?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Certainly seems possible, however we don't know the building availability (were there concerts or other events the other nights?), the availability of officials to work the game, travel schedule or other events for both teams (Maybe the home team was scheduled for a team event on Monday?) Maybe the Marlies already had hotel rooms booked for the other nights in the other city and forfeited to avoid the cost of re-booking?

Based on the schedule online the building was available. Google tells me the drive from Cedar Park to San Antonio is 90 minutes. And what would have been done had there been a power failure instead of a medical issue that caused the game to be unplayable? Or ice conditions? Or the medical issue took place early in the game? You can't tell me the AHL wouldn't have figured a way to get the game in.

There is literally no legitimate reason why that game wasn't rescheduled.

Ron ellis

May 26, 2018
Where is bracco ,on marlies site it doesn't say he's injured. He never missed a game in the first44 then no mention. Also is there any sites on ahl injuries like nhl has

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad