Marlies add Ryan Sproul

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
Can't hurt. Anybody seen him play recently? Is he a fringe NHLer or a fringe AHLer?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Can't hurt. Anybody seen him play recently? Is he a fringe NHLer or a fringe AHLer?
I believe he was at someones NHL camp (I think Boston).

Either he wasn't offered an AHL contract or he wanted to try to get one closer to home? He's had some okay AHL seasons.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Marlies acquire Gagner, Sproul

The second move of the day was the signing of defenceman Ryan Sproul to a PTO. Sproul, 25, spent the last little while with the Calgary Flames on a PTO, but was released six days ago.
Sproul split his 2017-2018 campaign with the Detroit Red Wings and New York Rangers organization’s, suiting up for 18 contests with the Rangers, in the process.
With Justin Holl graduating from the Marlies (at least for the time being), there’s a void on the right-side defence, and it appears Sproul, if he fares well on his tryout, could be the missing-piece to the puzzle, for the team’s D-core.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
We'll need cheap NHL defenders next year, after we are forced to let Jake walk due to cap issues. This is Dubas setting up next year's cap.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Wanted Toronto to do a prospect swap for Sproul a few years ago. Nice.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I take it that Durzi is done then?

I'm little surprised (disappointed) that Durzi was sent back to Owen Sound.
Leafs seem loaded with the Marlie defence.....two great prospect Liljegren, Sandin, plus Borgman and Rosen and then really a bunch of AHLers Neilsen, Subban, Lavorde and now Sproul, (think I have it right)

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'm little surprised (disappointed) that Durzi was sent back to Owen Sound.
Leafs seem loaded with the Marlie defence.....two great prospect Liljegren, Sandin, plus Borgman and Rosen and then really a bunch of AHLers Neilsen, Subban, Lavorde and now Sproul, (think I have it right)

IMHO, not bad for the players or teams. Durzi and Holliwell will dominate the OHL, the Marlies have about the best defense in the AHL to balance weaker goaltending and should be positioned for another solid playoff run that Durzi may be able to participate in after his OHL season is done. Next year, he'll be older and better and at likely at least half of the AHL defense will be gone so he will get solid minutes.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wait, we added this guy over giving Durzi or Hollowell a chance? It’s primarily for development, not to win the Calder cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad