Marleau at center to keep Moore and Ennis in the lineup

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
Moore and ennis have played good enough and need to stay in, and i love gauthier's size to balance our small guys, but i think marleau will do an even better job...marleau is still playing fine, hes just not that legit top 9 guy no more, aint finishing those plays off like back in the day but hes big and can still skate and is a super vet

hyman - tavares - marner
johnsson - matthews - kapanen
moore - kadri - nylander
ennis - marleau - brown

something like this.....any of brown, ennis, or moore can play on 3rd depending whos hot...we dont lose anything defensively, but its a lot more dangerous offensive bottom 6 which will be much needed in the playoffs

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
To me Babcock really needs to start hunkering down what his playoff lines and pairings should be. He needs to establish two premier scoring lines and one checking line with some offensive flare. He has 15 games remaining to get everyone on same page. This is what I think our playoff lineup should be:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Gauthier-Moore

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Hainsey

Matthews and Nylander need to be reunited. The time has come. As soon as Kadri comes back this needs to happen.

As for the Kadri line, the line I assembled has Grit, Speed, and skill. All three of these players have to be spoken to an played against the other teams top lines for the rest of the regular season. They need to gel as a unit and understand their roles which is defense first and scoring on the counter with hard work. They will all 3 get time on PP to get points, but on a regular 5 vs 5 shift they need to know their role.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
What is unbelievable is that no matter how bad he plays he never sits. It's like Babcock has just decided that the 3rd line doesn't matter it's just a place to park the non performers
he's usually a big part of our penalty kill which is going to be crucial in the playoffs. Defensively he's always been good 5 on 5 especially at reading and breaking up plays in the neutral zone which is also crucial in the playoffs. He's simply better than Ennis or Moore at that stuff. He also plays heavier than those two which is again crucial in the playoffs. If it was me I would have had Ennis and Moore ahead of him (and Marleau) all year to see what they could do but it's hardly "unbelievable" that a professional coaching staff would find him useful especial when they're got their eye more on the playoffs than regular season.

Reactions: zaqq

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Kap Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Moore Kadri Hyman
Petan Marleau Ennis
Goat/Brown

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Leaf fans can see the obvious solutions to the lineup, but Babcock refuses to change.

Last year we had a similar spell, but he did change the style of play towards the end of the season.

This year his stubbornness is beyond measure and I just don't understand the reason or end game behind this inability to change. It's almost pathological.

Brown has to go and sit in the press box he is beyond useless.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marleau’s point totals are a bit deceiving. His more skilled lineman’s tend to always perform better when theyre away from him.

Having him on the 4th line allows him to feed on weaker competition and frees up a spot higher in the lineup for a player who won’t be as negative on his line mates

Last edited:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ok so I understand now Babs logic of not scratching these guys or putting them on the 4th line.

Babs whole message is "good pro" which doesn't just mean putting up points, it means off the ice treating your diet seriously, working hard in the gym and following all instructions, being kind to fans, giving back to the community, etc.

So let's talk about the off ice stuff here. Marleau and Brown are both gym rats. Both are "good pro's". Babs believes that having a certain amount of these guys on the team will ignite the competitive nature of these other players like Nylander and Matthews to push harder because they know they are better and don't want to be shown up.

All good in theory.

The issue arises when they underperform on the ice. How do you preach forever about good pro and doing it right, and then scratch your shining examples or have them on the 4th line? Doesn't that send the wrong message to Matthews and Nylander that skill is what matters at the end of the day, not hard work?

Now, these guys aren't dumb. They know these guys have regressed or are just sucking. Babs doesn't want his message to be undermined so he stays on the rudder hoping they turn it around.

However this also causes a guy like Matthews to think that Babcock is an idiot. If it's clear as day to everyone who the best players are, and Babcock tries to say with a straight face (in order to keep his message) that these guys are important, logically you can only assume that Babcock will be biased in all of his other messages to you. So what is the reality?

From Matthews perspective, he has already earned the praise and respect of the best of the best. He signed a deal making him the 2nd highest cap hit in the league and highest overall contract value. He did all of this without the hunting channel or listening to country music.

I understand now why certain players don't like him. He pushes you and expects you to take what he says at face value and just do it. There are other guys out there who don't like the constant feeling of him breathing down your neck, and some of them think they are smarter than Babs is.

Which is understandable. Has anyone ever tried having their parents explain something to them that is completely wrong? You know how you feel? Now imagine everyone to talk to about it says to just listen and do what he says.

Then give that years to evolve from an annoyance to dread of having to work with him.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Ok so I understand now Babs logic of not scratching these guys or putting them on the 4th line.

Babs whole message is "good pro" which doesn't just mean putting up points, it means off the ice treating your diet seriously, working hard in the gym and following all instructions, being kind to fans, giving back to the community, etc.

So let's talk about the off ice stuff here. Marleau and Brown are both gym rats. Both are "good pro's". Babs believes that having a certain amount of these guys on the team will ignite the competitive nature of these other players like Nylander and Matthews to push harder because they know they are better and don't want to be shown up.

All good in theory.

The issue arises when they underperform on the ice. How do you preach forever about good pro and doing it right, and then scratch your shining examples or have them on the 4th line? Doesn't that send the wrong message to Matthews and Nylander that skill is what matters at the end of the day, not hard work?

Now, these guys aren't dumb. They know these guys have regressed or are just sucking. Babs doesn't want his message to be undermined so he stays on the rudder hoping they turn it around.

However this also causes a guy like Matthews to think that Babcock is an idiot. If it's clear as day to everyone who the best players are, and Babcock tries to say with a straight face (in order to keep his message) that these guys are important, logically you can only assume that Babcock will be biased in all of his other messages to you. So what is the reality?

From Matthews perspective, he has already earned the praise and respect of the best of the best. He signed a deal making him the 2nd highest cap hit in the league and highest overall contract value. He did all of this without the hunting channel or listening to country music.

I understand now why certain players don't like him. He pushes you and expects you to take what he says at face value and just do it. There are other guys out there who don't like the constant feeling of him breathing down your neck, and some of them think they are smarter than Babs is.

Which is understandable. Has anyone ever tried having their parents explain something to them that is completely wrong? You know how you feel? Now imagine everyone to talk to about it says to just listen and do what he says.

Then give that years to evolve from an annoyance to dread of having to work with him.

I gave you a bit of grief for starting other Captains thread so now I have to give you credit where credit is due.

Great post!:thumbu:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marleau is one of the hardest working guys in hockey you will ever meet. Totally agree. Man what that guy does to be ready to play and what he does between periods to get himself ready for next period is incredible. No one can argue in slightest.

But what does it matter if you can only go all out for a shift a period and then body says no way that's it. You've pushed me too far. All you can do is moderate yourself. When the lungs can't do it anymore the legs no matter how strong just can't race that dman to the puck. It is very sad for all of us. But father time is one tough b*tch. It is a very bad situation for everyone. And it could not happen to a nicer guy.

Reactions: RLF and dsred

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Kap Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Moore Kadri Hyman
Petan Marleau Ennis
Goat/Brown

Why would they ever split up Hyman Marner Tavares?

That line is amazing and Hyman is an important part of it. He's so good at getting pucks and cycling, and his offensive game has come a long way.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
The ideal combo should be imo:

Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Moore Kadri Kappy
Marleau Goat Ennis

With that 4th line barely playing at all.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I like this. Never going to happen but I like it. I think Marleau has made it clear that he prefers the wing over center. Also putting him on the "4th" line may not go over well but I like the balance of that lineup for sure

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I actually like this idea. However, Babcock seems to be the only one who doesn't see how truly awful Brown is this year. He is not going to work his issues out. He's gotta sit.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Why would they ever split up Hyman Marner Tavares?

That line is amazing and Hyman is an important part of it. He's so good at getting pucks and cycling, and his offensive game has come a long way.
Yep I agree with this. Playing with Mitch would have a big learning curve to be ready for his passes IMO. Hyman seems to just be getting it now. Roll with them!

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Brown needs to sit out. He's looking worse with each game played. He seems to have lost all offensive ability and his speed is lacking.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Moore-Gauthier-Ennis

IMO, this would be our most productive and stable lineup choice.

Reactions: dsred

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
I don't think we should be considering Marleau an option at center anymore. He hasn't been effective there in years - well before joining the Leafs.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
To me Babcock really needs to start hunkering down what his playoff lines and pairings should be. He needs to establish two premier scoring lines and one checking line with some offensive flare. He has 15 games remaining to get everyone on same page. This is what I think our playoff lineup should be:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Gauthier-Moore

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Hainsey

Matthews and Nylander need to be reunited. The time has come. As soon as Kadri comes back this needs to happen.

As for the Kadri line, the line I assembled has Grit, Speed, and skill. All three of these players have to be spoken to an played against the other teams top lines for the rest of the regular season. They need to gel as a unit and understand their roles which is defense first and scoring on the counter with hard work. They will all 3 get time on PP to get points, but on a regular 5 vs 5 shift they need to know their role.

No way brown sits in the playoffs. He is a coaches pet and babs turns a blind eye to him every game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad