Proposal: Markus Granlund (VAN, RFA Summer, Arb Eligible) for Emil Pettersson (ARI, RFA Summer, Arb Eligible)

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Thoughts on this? I actually thought this would have been a good move for NSH/VAN when Nashville acquired Mikael Granlund, but I had noticed they had moved on Emil only a couple of weeks prior.

Both players are RFAs this summer and both are eligible for arbitration, though I don't know why Emil Pettersson would opt for that.

Right now the Canucks are really up to the neck in depth NHL forwards and they need to make some decisions. Granlund plays all positions but he is a natural centre. He is a jack-of-all-trades type of player but has mostly taken a defensive/shutdown/PK role on the team for the past couple of seasons. In the season where he scored 19 goals, he was playing with the Sedins down the stretch. Granlund can likely be re-signed in that $1.5m-2m range (he is making $1.45m this year) which may be the type of bargain player Arizona is looking for in their bottom-6.

Emil Pettersson is Elias Pettersson's brother. Not that Elias has had much trouble getting acclimated to the NHL/North America, but I think having his brother in the organization would be a good look. I don't think anyone is expecting Emil to make any impact at the NHL level. It might be the type of move that Elias considers in negotiating his next contract and in any consideration where he would be taking a discount on that contract (answering the question, "do the Canucks really care about me?")

I'm a Canucks fan and I think Arizona wins this trade on paper, but I think it's a situation where both teams can improve a bit without giving up much. The AHL forwards the Canucks tend to sign aren't exactly irreplaceable in any case.

Reactions: Nucks2477

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Pettersson's brother is not really good, I don't know why we are trading an NHL player for a medicore AHL'er at best.
The obvious answer to this is to throw in a pick.
Lots of RFAs go unqualified and become UFAs. Lots of Canucks fans aren't sure if Granlund is coming back next season, so it would be a matter of getting something for him while you can, if someone is interested and is in the same position with another expendable asset.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
We need bernmeister to reunite Lindstroms, Granlunds, and Petterssons on same team. (Extra points if you can include Karlsson, Carlson, Eriksson, Ericsson, and Erixon as moving pieces for the benefit of the PBP guy.)

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I mean, sure. We'll even throw in a 7th that will probably become the next Zetterberg, knowing Coyotes luck.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I'm not a big fan of Granny, but he's an NHL player while Emil isn't.
My questions are:
- can the Canucks fill Granlund's minutes with internal players who are slated to improve?
- can Emil improve the Canucks in an intangible way which no depth roster player can mirror?
- are the Coyotes in the market for a "flex" depth forward this summer?
- do the Coyotes see Emil as a career AHLer?

If you can say yes to all of the above, I think there is a trade here.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
My questions are:
- can the Canucks fill Granlund's minutes with internal players who are slated to improve?
- can Emil improve the Canucks in an intangible way which no depth roster player can mirror?
- are the Coyotes in the market for a "flex" depth forward this summer?
- do the Coyotes see Emil as a career AHLer?

If you can say yes to all of the above, I think there is a trade here.

If the answer to number one is yes, then why not trade Granlund for a pick rather than an AHL lifer.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Value is obviously good but the Coyotes are already up to their eyeballs in bottom-six forwards.

No guarantee we even re-sign Pettersson, so in that case you can get him for free.

Reactions: Heldig and AZviaNJ

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd think on this for Arizona. Not really short on third and fourth liners, but he'd replace Kempe and is more creative than Cousins at C.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Granlund is a very Coyotes kinda player I think. Good PKer, coaches pet, almost never stands out in a good or bad way. A younger Lee Stempniak. I do understand that Yotes fans maybe don't want even more players of that ilk, but Tocchet would love him.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Sentimental deals are a good way to lose deals. In pretty much any area. Terrible idea. Neither needs his brother around.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Canucks don't need that distraction. C'mon, you've already got a stud in Pettersson Jr., you don't need to muddy the waters with any sentimentality. Emil hasn't really shown he can be an NHL option, so what does having him in the system really do? Create potential for conflict when you cut him in camp and then don't recall him all year and then don't sign him again next year? Or do you make nepotism part of the selection process? Neither is good. You had the Sedins and that was great, but this is different.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Coyotes would do it because they get a much better player (and why the Canucks would not offer this).

The fact Arizona has no need for another depth forward is moot. Deal with that in another trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad