Waived: Markstrom!

Big Boss

Nov 17, 2013
Want to talk about crazy asset management....Nucks waived Markstrom. May be old news to some of you, but I just found it absolutely amazing that one of the main parts of the Luongo trade they just up and waive. Crazy! People want to criticize Snow, there are worse that's for sure!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/canucks-place-g-markstrom-on-waivers-1.91916

One of the main parts of the Luongo trade was his money :)
Markstrom wouldn't nhl-level goalie.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Want to talk about crazy asset management....Nucks waived Markstrom. May be old news to some of you, but I just found it absolutely amazing that one of the main parts of the Luongo trade they just up and waive. Crazy! People want to criticize Snow, there are worse that's for sure!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/canucks-place-g-markstrom-on-waivers-1.91916

Worse than Snow? Give me a break,
most armchair GM here on this board would have been better than Snow.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
The Luongo trade was pretty much a straight up salary dump.

He didn't get claimed by anyone, Markstrom was touted at one point but that was a long time ago.

Almost like if we traded poulin for someone and the waived him.

BroadwayJay*

I would put a claim in on Markstrom. He was a highly touted prospect at one point.

Can't hurt to stash a guy like that away in BPT.

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
I would put a claim in on Markstrom. He was a highly touted prospect at one point.

Can't hurt to stash a guy like that away in BPT.

If we claim him, he would have to be on the NHL team or go back through waivers in order to go to Bridgeport.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
He already cleared yesterday:

Vancouver Canucks goalie Jacob Markstrom cleared waivers Saturday and will be sent to the Utica Comets of the American Hockey League, according to multiple reports.

Markstrom was placed on waivers Friday. NHL teams had until noon ET Saturday to put in a claim on Markstrom, who has one year remaining on his contract, which has a $1.2 million salary-cap charge. His salary for this season is $1.4 million, according to CapGeek.com.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_blogs.htm?id=32015

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Salary dump or not, you are telling me they couldn't get more than Mathias and Markstrom for Luongo? Didn't Vancouver absorb some of the salary as well? I don't care how anybody tries to spin it Vancouver went from one of the best goaltending duos in the league to having to sign an aging free agent to bail themselves out....

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
If we claim him, he would have to be on the NHL team or go back through waivers in order to go to Bridgeport.

Which is probably why he cleared. Van now has some leeway to shuttle his ass back and forth without worrying about it later in the year when teams have injuries, etc. that open up space.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
a few years ago i thought markstrom was the next coming of lundquvist. i didnt realize how much he dropped off; i honestly thought the loungo trade was fairly even at the time.

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
Salary dump or not, you are telling me they couldn't get more than Mathias and Markstrom for Luongo? Didn't Vancouver absorb some of the salary as well? I don't care how anybody tries to spin it Vancouver went from one of the best goaltending duos in the league to having to sign an aging free agent to bail themselves out....
As daft as it appears.....many Canucks fans cringe at the scenario that unfolded. Basically....Luongo vetoed every trade that didnt involve Florida so that makes things hard trade-wise. Add to the fact that 29 GMs in the league seen our GM Gillis as an arrogant D-bag and a wingnut coach pushing Luongo out the door.....perfect storm. Lucky we even got Markstrom and Matthias. Matthias like Markstrom is close to waivers as well since Horvat is making a case to steal his spot.

You guys sign Halak and then poke fun at us for Miller?
Thats like us signing Miller and making fun of you for signing Halak

The only difference is that we get to keep the high pick that our sieve is going to help us get

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
a few years ago i thought markstrom was the next coming of lundquvist. i didnt realize how much he dropped off; i honestly thought the loungo trade was fairly even at the time.

Goaltender development can be a crapshoot. See also: our goaltender development.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
As daft as it appears.....many Canucks fans cringe at the scenario that unfolded. Basically....Luongo vetoed every trade that didnt involve Florida so that makes things hard trade-wise. Add to the fact that 29 GMs in the league seen our GM Gillis as an arrogant D-bag and a wingnut coach pushing Luongo out the door.....perfect storm. Lucky we even got Markstrom and Matthias. Matthias like Markstrom is close to waivers as well since Horvat is making a case to steal his spot.

The only difference is that we get to keep the high pick that our sieve is going to help us get

Wasn't poking fun at Miller so much as just the fact that you had to sign a former stud to get your goaltending back to average, when just a couple years ago you had the best goaltending tandem in the league. Anyway, ludicrous to compare Halak with Miller. Halak is reaching his prime while Miller is starting his downward spiral. They are at totally different parts of their career.

PS. You called him a sieve....you think Halak is a sieve...that's really rich.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site

Miller is not a sieve. Neither is Halak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad