Markov's Ice-Time

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Hello!

So I know the general consensus around here is that Markov needs to be brought down in his ice-time a bit to be more effective. Obviously it's not everyone, but I see a lot of that, and I tend to agree.

I was just looking at the NHL.com TOI stats, and league-wide:

1. Markov (283:46)
2. Doughty (276:51)
3. Subban (275:46)

Markov's first, and in what might be the first time it's even been used properly...AINEC. I was shocked to see his usage higher than anyone's!

Now, to be fair, he's not first in average TOI per game, that is and always will be Suter's crown, but Markov's still 8th in average TOI. I guess the coaches don't agree in his usage time.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Isn't that what people said when Markov blew his knee the 1st time?

The last time Markov was injured and Subban had to be the #1 by himself, the Habs ended up with Galchenyuk. Now Subban was younger but you get the idea. It's always been Markov with the more ice-time. He can control and slow down a game in a way Subban can't.

A few years ago, the "Markov effect" was a well known term in Habland.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
The last time Markov was injured and Subban had to be the #1 by himself, the Habs ended up with Galchenyuk. Now Subban was younger but you get the idea. It's always been Markov with the more ice-time. He can control and slow down a game in a way Subban can't.

A few years ago, the "Markov effect" was a well known term in Habland.

Umm the 1st the Habs dressed Subban was in the playoffs...

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Umm the 1st the Habs dressed Subban was in the playoffs...

We were still shut down by Micheal freaking Leighton 3 times in 5 games.

We did manage the beat the Pens (thanks beast mode Cammy) but that's our only series win without the General (got injured in Game 1)

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
People don't realize how good he is. No offense to Subban but we would be ****ED without him.

... And Markov would be ****ed without Subban.

Is it supposed to be all that surprising that a team would struggle if one of their top 2 D went down?

Blaming Subban for being a bottom feeder the year Markov got hurt is just pure misinformation. As if he were the one to blame for that debacle.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
... And Markov would be ****ed without Subban.

Is it supposed to be all that surprising that a team would struggle if one of their top 2 D went down?

Blaming Subban for being a bottom feeder the year Markov got hurt is just pure misinformation. As if he were the one to blame for that debacle.

I blame Eller.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
By general consensus you really mean "what the vocal majority" is asking for. I don't see any problem with Markov playing as much as he is. Before his injuries I thought he would become a perennial Norris trophy contender, he's just really, really, really good. The fact that he was able to come back just as strong after those injuries is a proof of that.

Once his current contract expires he's still going to be a top-4. He's going to get another contract after the current one.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
By general consensus you really mean "what the vocal majority" is asking for. I don't see any problem with Markov playing as much as he is. Before his injuries I thought he would become a perennial Norris trophy contender, he's just really, really, really good. The fact that he was able to come back just as strong after those injuries is a proof of that.

Once his current contract expires he's still going to be a top-4. He's going to get another contract after the current one.

Oh!!! The horror! It's better be contracts on a 10 game basis. You can't give more term to such an old guy! :sarcasm:

But, joking aside, I still don't like how Therrien just doesn't manage Markov's minutes. He should play less. Keep some energy for the playoffs.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Markov is just that good. Ridiculous how good he still is...

Problem is that managing his ice time too much or even making him sit a few games may mean losing games, which in this league, may mean you miss the playoffs or at least lose home ice.

Once our position is set, I'm sure mike will give him a few games off

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
His ice-time only needs to be reduced because I think we should save some legs for a deep run.

However, we don't really have the options on D to cut his minutes.

He's the best and most consistent defenseman on this team right now. Subban clearly has higher top-end potential, but he's not displayed it so far this season. Money must be weighing him down.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Agreed, his TOI is disconcerting, as much as he is a freak of nature (in a good way), we should not risk him being exhausted come playoff time. While we may loose some points in the standings, the playoffs have to be the long-term focus. Perhaps in the last quarter he should rest a bit.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Who would have thought the day would come where the General would become an underrated player?

I can't believe some people didn't want to sign him this summer. He might lack speed but he's just too smart on the ice.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
He's been one of the best and most underrated D in the league for a long time now, even before his injuries.

He's just so smart on the ice. Thank God we still have him...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Who would have thought the day would come where the General would become an underrated player?

I can't believe some people didn't want to sign him this summer. He might lack speed but he's just too smart on the ice.

Yep, I was all for signing him for 3 years. My guess is that maybe he was asking for a little more term and Bergevin insisted on 3 years max. Or Markov was insisting on at least 3 years. Hence it took some time to get it done.

But this is all ridiculous. We're clearly signing this guy to another contract. Just reduce his minutes and he'll play well until he's 40.

Camio

Oct 19, 2013
Isn't that what people said when Markov blew his knee the 1st time?

Look what the Habs did while he was away.

Hopefully, by Dec-Jan-Feb, Beaulieu and Tinordi are more reliable so they can eat some more minutes and this allows Markov TOI to drop so he isnt exhausted come playoffs time. Would be great that by March, Weaver is the clear 7th Dman.

Last edited:

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Look what the Habs did while he was away.

Hopefully, by Dec-Jan-Feb, Beaulieu and Tinordi are more reliable so they can eat some more minutes and this allows Markov TOI to drop so he isnt exhausted come playoffs time. Would be great that by March, Weaver is the clear 7th Dman.

So what you are saying is the Habs are 1 person got it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad