Markov question.

ToNedOuT

Apr 22, 2004
Victoria BC
I know Markov was originally drafted as a forward and converted to a defence. I didn't follow habs draft picks as closely back then and am curious as to how the switch occurred. Whoever's idea it was, was a genius.

LyleOdelein

Aug 3, 2005
Renfrew
I know Markov was originally drafted as a forward and converted to a defence. I didn't follow habs draft picks as closely back then and am curious as to how the switch occurred. Whoever's idea it was, was a genius.

I'm pretty sure that Markov was originally converted to D in Russia before he came over. He succeeded there, so the Habs kept him at that position.

Robiyardov

Jun 27, 2006
Khimik

After being drafted by the Canadiens, Markov who played from Khimik Voskresensk knew he needed to move the a better team. He went to camp for Dynamo Moskva, but the only spot left on the team was at defense as the forwards position were all set. He actually accepted the d'men position and on the very first was amongst the best d'men in the league.

Anyway, probably not as simple as that, but I've read that somewhere.

Considering is strongest quality as a player is how smart he is, I would believe the transition was not such a big deal to him. And, I feel you can see some forward typical skills, especially on shootout.

ToNedOuT

Apr 22, 2004
Victoria BC
After being drafted by the Canadiens, Markov who played from Khimik Voskresensk knew he needed to move the a better team. He went to camp for Dynamo Moskva, but the only spot left on the team was at defense as the forwards position were all set. He actually accepted the d'men position and on the very first was amongst the best d'men in the league.

Anyway, probably not as simple as that, but I've read that somewhere.

Considering is strongest quality as a player is how smart he is, I would believe the transition was not such a big deal to him. And, I feel you can see some forward typical skills, especially on shootout.

Thanks. Wonder how his career would've turned out if that team had a forward spot for him....

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Thanks. Wonder how his career would've turned out if that team had a forward spot for him....

He still has talent so he would have been a good player. Probably a good career comparison would be Byfuglien. He was a second/third line player on the Blackhawks at forward but he's the number one d-man for Winnipeg on the rear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad