Confirmed with Link: Marko Dano signed to ELC

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Had the Jackets wanted him to come over already for 13/14 chances are pretty high that he would have already played in the AHL this season. It was the Jackets choice that he stayed in Slovan for this season according to what he himself says.

Given his limited playing time this year do you have any insight on the type of game he has been trying to establish for himself? From what I had seen he appears to have a good skill level and high compete level. Is there anything you can share with us about his play, albeit limited this year?

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Given his limited playing time this year do you have any insight on the type of game he has been trying to establish for himself? From what I had seen he appears to have a good skill level and high compete level. Is there anything you can share with us about his play, albeit limited this year?

Have seen only very little of Slovan in the KHL this season, so can't really say anything. All I know is the general consensus between Slovan fans which is that he wasn't playing well enough to earn more ice-time and that some of them think that the coach was giving him more opportunities than he deserves and was moe benevolent with him than he would have been with other players had they played as he did. Overally they feel like his decision to move to NA is good both for him and for Slovan. But again that's just the general opinion I've heard.

It also has to be noted that Slovan has been having a terrible season, especially compared to the last one and I doubt that the morale on the team was too high. Another thing is that there was a lot of media noise around him in Slovakia especially last season. Slovakia doesn't really have that many talented players nowadays, so when the media had a player who was playing well in a men's league, who made it to the men's World Championship (which is extremely popular over here, even people who don't care about hockey otherwise follow it) and was the first Slovak NHL 1st round draft pick after a long while and also happens to be the son of a former national team player on their hands, they saw the opportunity and made him into a medial star. Also there was a bit of a controversy from the WJC with the comments he made about 16 year old's Černák's play in the tourney.

I think getting into a new more competitive environment where he is free of his pressure could help him get back on track.

mailo

Feb 3, 2014
I attended every home game of Slovan Bratislava in this season and i think,that Dano was one of biggest disappointments. His play was at best similar as last year,maybe worse, at one time he was healthy scratch. There isn't anything remarkable in his game, maybe just good physical play. I can see him being 3rd liner at best if he bounce back from this bad year. I don't want to say,that he's bad player, but i would expect more from 1st round pick

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I attended every home game of Slovan Bratislava in this season and i think,that Dano was one of biggest disappointments. His play was at best similar as last year,maybe worse, at one time he was healthy scratch. There isn't anything remarkable in his game, maybe just good physical play. I can see him being 3rd liner at best if he bounce back from this bad year. I don't want to say,that he's bad player, but i would expect more from 1st round pick

Appreciate the input especially since none of us had access to see him play other then the WJC, but I have to say making that much of a statement after one year after being drafted, and only 19 years old is a stretch. I still think he can be a top 6 player, he just needs to get back on track and get ice time.

mailo

Feb 3, 2014
Care to elaborate?

He seemed really strong in his draft year(last year) but this year he was just shadow of him from last year. He couldn't handle expectations, in many games he was totally invisible or drew bad penalties and was unresponsible defensively. Yes he played sheltered minutes as 3-4th liner with no PP time,but still he showed more bad things than good. I think that it's because he lost his mentor Miroslav Satan,they used to play on same line last year and he couldnt handle all "fame" what he got from high draft position and good play in last year. So I think that he is overvalued and product of good teammates. So now to tell something about his pros: He has grit and is strong on forecheck and if he's in okay mood he can show some good finishing.
To sum it up, he has to work on his mindset and need few seasons in AHL to reach his potential, but im not optimistic,that he would be top 6 forward, I see him as 3rd line wing at best. Let's hope,that I'm not right and he will become good player

EDIT: I know him a bit personally and wish him all the best, but I don't think his play will be good enough to fill top 6 role in NHL. If u saw WJC this year, he was at best 3rd best forward on team Slovakia, what is really weak, Reway and Cehlarik was better than him and these guys aren't projected as top 6 forwards. Just don't have so high expectations on him.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He seemed really strong in his draft year(last year) but this year he was just shadow of him from last year. He couldn't handle expectations, in many games he was totally invisible or drew bad penalties and was unresponsible defensively. Yes he played sheltered minutes as 3-4th liner with no PP time,but still he showed more bad things than good. I think that it's because he lost his mentor Miroslav Satan,they used to play on same line last year and he couldnt handle all "fame" what he got from high draft position and good play in last year. So I think that he is overvalued and product of good teammates. So now to tell something about his pros: He has grit and is strong on forecheck and if he's in okay mood he can show some good finishing.
To sum it up, he has to work on his mindset and need few seasons in AHL to reach his potential, but im not optimistic,that he would be top 6 forward, I see him as 3rd line wing at best. Let's hope,that I'm not right and he will become good player

EDIT: I know him a bit personally and wish him all the best, but I don't think his play will be good enough to fill top 6 role in NHL. If u saw WJC this year, he was at best 3rd best forward on team Slovakia, what is really weak, Reway and Cehlarik was better than him and these guys aren't projected as top 6 forwards. Just don't have so high expectations on him.

the problem i have with people talking about his WJC performance is he was used in a defensive role. He was put in a spot against the other teams best players while Reway and Cehlarik got all the offensive time. He played a similar role to Wennberg but on a lesser team without as much support

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

I saw the WJC tournament ... every second of it. I didn't think Dano was that bad; as mentioned just above, he saw some minutes against some tough talent. Sure, he wasn't as dominant as he was in last year's tournament, but I'm not a big fan of using the short tournament to judge a player's value.

As for your first paragraph, I'll go off of the assumption that you saw more of his games than I did, so I'll take your word for it there. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts to the North American style, where I honestly think his game is better suited. We all knew that, most likely, he would be a third/fourth line NHL player that could chip in a little scoring. I still think there's a fine chance that he reaches that level.

mailo

Feb 3, 2014
Here in Slovakia people thinks, that Reway>Dano. Of course Dano has advantage in size and strength,but his hockey iq and playmaking abilities aren't good enough for top 6 role.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
well i guess his team has been bounced from the cup of hope...so release him already!

They have released him already. He didn't even play in the Cup of Hope.

He's arranging his work visa to the US which tends to take some time, probably a few more days before he can play over there.

Last edited:

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
“@Aportzline: #CBJ signing of Marko Dano is now official.”

“@Aportzline: It is a 3-year entry level deal. Dano likely to see time with AHL Springfield if immigration process goes smoothly.”

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
Dano plays identically to half our roster... not the most skilled but he certainly grinds it out just Comeu, Duby, Jenner and Foligno. My NHL comparison for him is Mike Richards, small in stature but extremely defensive and aggressive. Id welcome his talent if didn't already have 5+ players like him on our roster, somebody already pointed this out on a different thread but we cant win solely on grinding games out, we need more skill on our roster.

Not degrading Dano whats so ever but I just don't see where he fits on our roster

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Dano plays identically to half our roster... not the most skilled but he certainly grinds it out just Comeu, Duby, Jenner and Foligno. My NHL comparison for him is Mike Richards, small in stature but extremely defensive and aggressive. Id welcome his talent if didn't already have 5+ players like him on our roster, somebody already pointed this out on a different thread but we cant win solely on grinding games out, we need more skill on our roster.

Not degrading Dano whats so ever but I just don't see where he fits on our roster
He fits in the unrealized future, after we've lost guys due to trade, injury, contract issues, or failure to develop.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

If he keeps working hard I think his skill might surprise a few people

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

He sure seemed to have skill at the World Juniors prior to his draft year. And not every 1st round pick is a top 6 player. From what I have seen and read Dano will fit in very well with this teams identity and path forward. I'll take as many "Mike Richards" as I can get on this roster. Same is true for Dubi, Jenner, Foligno, Calvert and on and on.

Keep in mind, players move on, get traded and simply decline or never develop. Keeping a stable full of options is ideal. I know you aren't implying he isn't worth keeping but the NHL roster still needs an upgrade and players like Rychel, Dano, Wennberg, Bjorkstrand, Reilly, Heatherington, etc. are all expected to help improve this team not maintain status quo.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'm hoping that Dano develops into a hybrid of Mackenzie and Letestu in terms of style. Hard working, some grit, but with decent hands and speed.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Way too early to say he isn't NHL quality. He needs maturity, mental more than physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad