Confirmed with Link: Marko Dano signed to ELC

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
according to Slovak media Dano was released by Slovan Bratislava (out of KHL PO) and is on his way to Springfield Falcons...

This was confirmed by Dano on Twitter. He signed his 3 year ELC last night. Slovan wished him well on Twitter so it's just a matter of when.

I'm hopeful he'll see more than 3-4 min. per game in Springfield so we can see if we have a gem on our hands. I like his game and think it fits the NA style very well. I'm anxious to hear and see what he does.

Mods Edit:

@Marko_Dano 8h

I am glad to announce that I have signed a three-year entry-level contract with Columbus Blue Jackets #CBJ #NHL

https://twitter.com/Marko_Dano/status/441478510319001600

Last edited by a moderator:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'd be curious to know if this is an ELC that starts in 2013-14 (meaning he could be called up to the NHL this year after landing in North America), or if it takes effect in 2014-15 with him being in Springfield a result of actually signing an AHL contract with the Falcons.

If it's the former, it would not only put the franchise at the 50-contract limit, but would also mean burning a year off Dano's ELC for basically a month of games in the AHL. If it's the latter, it would keep the team at 49 contracts and still have all three years of the ELC available.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Good for him. Didn't he make another twitter comment about being excited for his first AHL game?

Edit: He did. I'm getting the feeling from the feed that he's coming over this season. It's refreshing to see a Russian player hungry to come over.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Wow, I got to start a thread and didn't even know it. Dano is on Twitter and had a couple tweets about coming to Springfield. Also wished well by Slovan from their official twitter feed so he is on his way...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If it's the former, it would not only put the franchise at the 50-contract limit, but would also mean burning a year off Dano's ELC for basically a month of games in the AHL. If it's the latter, it would keep the team at 49 contracts and still have all three years of the ELC available.

Are you sure? If it's a EL/SR contract (which it should be); it would only kick in the event he played a certainly number of NHL games. For example if Rychel's season ended and he played a few AHL games, he would still have all 3 years left (just like Jenner last season).

The contract situation is pretty meaningless for the rest of this year; unless you are concerned about a waiver wire pickup. We've got most of our elite youngsters good to go with the exception of Wennberg.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yeah he'd have to play 9 NHL games to burn a year of his ELC so it should be fine either way. I am extremely excited to see him over here and have been really high on him. I think hes like a bigger and more skilled Calvert. He has a temper which gets him in trouble but he does anything to win so hopefully the offense comes

MapleJ

Jul 2, 2011
Good for him. Didn't he make another twitter comment about being excited for his first AHL game?

Edit: He did. I'm getting the feeling from the feed that he's coming over this season. It's refreshing to see a Russian player hungry to come over.

Pretty sure he is not russian...

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Are you sure? If it's a EL/SR contract (which it should be); it would only kick in the event he played a certainly number of NHL games. For example if Rychel's season ended and he played a few AHL games, he would still have all 3 years left (just like Jenner last season).

The contract situation is pretty meaningless for the rest of this year; unless you are concerned about a waiver wire pickup. We've got most of our elite youngsters good to go with the exception of Wennberg.

I'm looking in the new CBA for the exact wording. The overwhelming majority of sliding contracts are for players drafted from the CHL, which obviously doesn't apply to Dano.

Side note: it's not easy tearing through a 540-page legal document, even with copious use of ctrl-F.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'd be curious to know if this is an ELC that starts in 2013-14 (meaning he could be called up to the NHL this year after landing in North America), or if it takes effect in 2014-15 with him being in Springfield a result of actually signing an AHL contract with the Falcons.

Based on the timing of this, I think this was so he could play potential playoff games.

flemo

Jan 7, 2010

According to slovak news he is waiting few days for visa right now.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm looking in the new CBA for the exact wording. The overwhelming majority of sliding contracts are for players drafted from the CHL, which obviously doesn't apply to Dano.

Side note: it's not easy tearing through a 540-page legal document, even with copious use of ctrl-F.

Eagerly awaiting your answer but in the meantime I think there are several factors tha timpact the slide deal. One is how old the guy is. Dano turned 19 in November so I think from that point he can slide, but on the other hand CapGeek indicates if the player played any professional games in the year he signed that impacts when his three years is up for waivers. The A is pro so this could be a negative.

Like I said, eagerly awaiting your analysis. (In before DSL- I hope I'm okay :laugh:)

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
it may be that this season is on a PTO and his ELC kicks in next year

i'm checking with CBJProspects

Edit: he says "Pto I believe I'm 70some % sure if deals are signed after a certain date they don't count until next season"

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

The SR has nothing to do with nationality; if that is what you are suggesting. It's tied to age. Lindholm is under a SR contract. Based on number of games in the NHL, he will obviously burn the 1st year and the 3 years has officially.

This should be a SR contract and the AHL games will have no impact.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I thought the KHL was expanding out of Russia?

I believe Dano was playing for Bratislava in the KHL, which is the capital of Slovakia. I also believe that, for Slovakians, the distinction between them and Russians is probably more important than it appears to be for blahblah.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I believe Dano was playing for Bratislava in the KHL, which is the capital of Slovakia. I also believe that, for Slovakians, the distinction between them and Russians is probably more important than it appears to be for blahblah.

Regardless it's always nice when a Euro wants to come over to the AHL. I'll try and be more sensitive to the over-sensitive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
This was confirmed by Dano on Twitter. He signed his 3 year ELC last night. Slovan wished him well on Twitter so it's just a matter of when.

I'm hopeful he'll see more than 3-4 min. per game in Springfield so we can see if we have a gem on our hands. I like his game and think it fits the NA style very well. I'm anxious to hear and see what he does.

Mods Edit:

@Marko_Dano 8h

I am glad to announce that I have signed a three-year entry-level contract with Columbus Blue Jackets #CBJ #NHL

https://twitter.com/Marko_Dano/status/441478510319001600

That's good news.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
The SR has nothing to do with nationality; if that is what you are suggesting. It's tied to age. Lindholm is under a SR contract. Based on number of games in the NHL, he will obviously burn the 1st year and the 3 years has officially.

This should be a SR contract and the AHL games will have no impact.

It's not what I was getting at.

The overwhelming majority of EL slides are players drafted from the CHL who get sent back after an early-season tryout. The only European players I remember were Filatov sliding on 2008-09, but he'd been signed early as well after being drafted (July 14); the same applied to Lindholm (July 12). Late-signed European players has undoubtedly happened at some point, but I'm not sure when.

If my reading of the current CBA is accurate, the slide rule is across the board, so it's no different for Dano now than if he was drafted out of the CHL and signed last July.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
It's not what I was getting at.

The overwhelming majority of EL slides are players drafted from the CHL who get sent back after an early-season tryout. The only European players I remember were Filatov sliding on 2008-09, but he'd been signed early as well after being drafted (July 14); the same applied to Lindholm (July 12). Late-signed European players has undoubtedly happened at some point, but I'm not sure when.

If my reading of the current CBA is accurate, the slide rule is across the board, so it's no different for Dano now than if he was drafted out of the CHL and signed last July.

Under Article 10(2.i), the CBA specifies that players aged 18-19 must play 10 NHL games, not professional games, to have the ELC kick in. With this, Dano shouldn't burn the first year of his ELC/SPC. It also touches on this in Article 9.

There are perks to having to pour over the NHL CBA for a class this term!

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Under Article 10(2.i), the CBA specifies that players aged 18-19 must play 10 NHL games, not professional games, to have the ELC kick in. With this, Dano shouldn't burn the first year of his ELC/SPC. It also touches on this in Article 9.

There are perks to having to pour over the NHL CBA for a class this term!

McNally/Messersmith for me, but that was quite a few years ago.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Regardless it's always nice when a Euro wants to come over to the AHL. I'll try and be more sensitive to the over-sensitive.

It's not about being oversensitive about nationality. The fact that Daňo is Slovak and plays for a Slovak team (even though one in the KHL, it's a Slovak not Russian owned club) is actually a pretty valid point. I have a hard time remembering a case where any NHL team had a major problem with Slovak teams when it came to releasing players who wanted o pursue NHL careers and even more so finding Slovak players who were reluctant to come over to North America when their NHL team wanted them to. Had the Jackets wanted him to come over already for 13/14 chances are pretty high that he would have already played in the AHL this season. It was the Jackets choice that he stayed in Slovan for this season according to what he himself says.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad