Mark Tinordi underrated??

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006

He also had a pretty good tilt with Probert his rookie year. I'm not saying he was one of the best but i think he is pretty underrated. He was a big mean and nasty defenceman.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
He may be a bit forgotten about now, but he got his due in his time... both as a scrapper (early in his career) and as a real good all-around defenceman (last half or 1/3 of his career).

I'd be happy to have Tinordi on my team.

A similar guy (whom I saw more of, as a Canucks fan), from around the same time, was Gerald Diduck. Nearly identical careers, although Tinordi had a better W/L record... fought a bit more often... and got more points; whereas Diduck was better defensively and more durable.

Strangely, although contemporaries, they never fought. Probably, defenceman vs. defenceman fights are a bit more unlikely to happen spontaneously.

The Overseer*

He may be a bit forgotten about now, but he got his due in his time... both as a scrapper (early in his career) and as a real good all-around defenceman (last half or 1/3 of his career).

I'd be happy to have Tinordi on my team.

A similar guy (whom I saw more of, as a Canucks fan), from around the same time, was Gerald Diduck. Nearly identical careers, although Tinordi had a better W/L record... fought a bit more often... and got more points; whereas Diduck was better defensively and more durable.

Strangely, although contemporaries, they never fought. Probably, defenceman vs. defenceman fights are a bit more unlikely to happen spontaneously.

As a Canuck fan from the same era, I disagree with the bolded part. Diduck was fine, but Tinordi was a better defenceman.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Although not the best indicator, their respective career +/-'s say differently.

My memory of Diduck was that he was solid, mean, played good positional defense, and was relatively mobile. Same could be said for Tinordi, although he was, IIRC, slightly less mobile.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Although not the best indicator, their respective career +/-'s say differently.

My memory of Diduck was that he was solid, mean, played good positional defense, and was relatively mobile. Same could be said for Tinordi, although he was, IIRC, slightly less mobile.
Totally unagree with that. IMO his skating is what made his a great defenseman and fighter. I always thought he was one of the better players that injuries robbed of reaching his best. To bad I thought he would be a Scott Stevens light in terms of all around effectiveness.

The Overseer*

This is all true. Loved Diduck when he was in Vancouver. Tough as nails. That said, I think Tinordi was tougher, and better.

Tinordi was an absolute warrior for the North Stars during their run to the finals.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Don't get me wrong, I would probably take Tinordi over Diduck as well... certainly at Tinordi's peak. From 90-94 he was as good an NHL defenceman as there was... unfortunately, he never managed more than 69 regular season games in that stretch.

The sad reality of the game is... the guys who's play I like the best, tend to last the shortest period of time, because of the way they play.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I thought Tinordi was an awesome DMan. Would have loved to have had him play for the Habs. A real warrior, but the injuries really took their toll on him.

NJDEVILS17*

I think Mark Tinordi is just an underrated player period. Good fighter and had tons of great fights against tough opponents.

The guy is a warrior. He had a toe to toe fight against Jason Smith while Tinordi had a broken nose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad