Mark Streit, the next Zidlicky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaTcine

Oct 17, 2003
Ghetto Noré Bôgran
The Montreal Canadiens took a chance by taking 27 years old Mark Streit in the 9th round last year. He had career high this season in the Swiss League. He's now in the playoffs and still showing dominant numbers (8 pass in 7 games for the 7th overall best production in the league in playoffs).

This season he had 43 points (14 goals and 29 passes) in 44 games.

Any chances he could be the next Zidlicky?

leafaholix*

RaTcine said:
The Montreal Canadiens took a chance by taking 27 years old Mark Streit in the 9th round last year. He had career high this season in the Swiss League. He's now in the playoffs and still showing dominant numbers (8 pass in 7 games for the 7th overall best production in the league in playoffs).

This season he had 43 points (14 goals and 29 passes) in 44 games.

Any chances he could be the next Zidlicky?
Marek Zidlicky dominated the Finnish league for more than 3 or 4 years before turning to the NHL. Streit is playing in a league that's not as good as well.

It's farfetched to call him the next Zidlicky, I think Streit just making the NHL as a #5/6 guy should be good enough.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:
Marek Zidlicky dominated the Finnish league for more than 3 or 4 years before turning to the NHL. Streit is playing in a league that's not as good as well.

It's farfetched to call him the next Zidlicky, I think Streit just making the NHL as a #5/6 guy should be good enough.

I think Streit will have his chance in the NHL. The Habs don't have a great depht on D so he might be able to play some games at the beginning of the next season. As for Streit being the next Zidlicky, well, we never know. The chances are thin but Streit is better each year so he migh become a great D...

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Carl O'Steen said:
I think Streit just making the NHL as a #5/6 guy should be good enough.
Good enough? That'd be ****ing stellar for anybody that took a flyer on him in the 9th round.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:

I'd say that the Swiss league was better this year than the Finn leugues were...

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
At this point in his life, I can't see why he'd come over. It's not like the Habs in any new NHL financial landscape would ever give him a guaranteed contract, and the NHL league minimum salary is probably not going to offer any better living conditions than his current star status in Switzerland does.

He has progressed a lot since his initial foray into North American hockey, so I don't suppose we can draw any conclusions from the fact that he failed the first time around. But how many guys, older and maybe more settled, would want to come back for a second apprenticeship in the minors? I have no idea how he would look at it, but from here I'd think he'd be nuts to try it. But who knows.

aforc3

Oct 7, 2004
Switzerland;Zurich
Mark Streit is the most dominant defender in the Swiss League he playes for The Zsc Lions who coud win this year The Playoff's he has a good eye for the Forwards and hes defense play is awsome and he has a good bodywork !!

Robitallie says : Mark is one of the best defender he ever played with !

so i think Mark has a good chance to Cracking th NHL !!!

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
KILLger said:
I'd say that the Swiss league was better this year than the Finn leugues were...
The 3rd and 4th lines in the finnish leagues should have more depth, there are a few relatively big names though in the NLA. The finnish team Zidlicky plays for now have better players, just look at their roster and compare with Zürich.

I have no idea if Mark Streit makes it to the NHL but I have always thought that he plays well in the World Championships. Not as skilled and flashy as Zidlicky perhaps but he plays smart.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Blind Gardien said:
At this point in his life, I can't see why he'd come over. It's not like the Habs in any new NHL financial landscape would ever give him a guaranteed contract, and the NHL league minimum salary is probably not going to offer any better living conditions than his current star status in Switzerland does.

He has progressed a lot since his initial foray into North American hockey, so I don't suppose we can draw any conclusions from the fact that he failed the first time around. But how many guys, older and maybe more settled, would want to come back for a second apprenticeship in the minors? I have no idea how he would look at it, but from here I'd think he'd be nuts to try it. But who knows.

I can remember reading somewhere (and no, I don't have a source, so take it at the value of some anonymous person named "Squeaky" saying so) that Streit was pretty determined to play in the NHL. I'm not saying that's necessarily a good decision on his part, I think he's set up pretty well where he is, but if that is the case, then it's great news for the Habs.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I don't really care about stats in Europe, or Kaigorodov would be a superstar better than Kovalchuk.

So, is Streit a good player? I've never seen him play, but as a 27 years old, I don't think he has a good future on the habs. But who knows. If he can become half as productive as Zidlicky in the NHL, it will be wonderful.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
KILLger said:

You're absolulety right.

In my opinion he could have an immediate impact. If Savard give his promise he'll play in the NHL, he will come over.

He has Zidlicky like stats, but it's premature to compare Streit to him.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Kronblom said:
The 3rd and 4th lines in the finnish leagues should have more depth, there are a few relatively big names though in the NLA. The finnish team Zidlicky plays for now have better players, just look at their roster and compare with Zürich.

I have no idea if Mark Streit makes it to the NHL but I have always thought that he plays well in the World Championships. Not as skilled and flashy as Zidlicky perhaps but he plays smart.

That's their current team. Go back in 2000 and the Finnish league does not have all-stars like Joe Thornton, Martin St. Louis, Rick Nash and Roberto Luongo in their league.

RaTcine

Oct 17, 2003
Ghetto Noré Bôgran
Blind Gardien said:

I think that if he didn't wanted to play in the NHL he would have opt out of the draft. He didn't. I think he should come over on next training camp and Habs management will then see if he deserves a NHL contract.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:

In my opinion, Swiss League > Finnish league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad