Mark Stone's next contract

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
As soon as July 1st comes around, the Sens will be able to extend Mark Stone's contract, he is slated to become an RFA after the 2018 season.

Mark Stone currently has a cap hit of 3.5M, and he will be paid 4.5M in salary for the 17-18 season.

Stone is a 1st line winger, a fan favorite, and one of the better defensive players in the game.

What type of contract do we give to Mark Stone?

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
As soon as July 1st comes around, the Sens will be able to extend Mark Stone's contract, he is slated to become an RFA after the 2018 season.

Mark Stone currently has a cap hit of 3.5M, and he will be paid 4.5M in salary for the 17-18 season.

Stone is a 1st line winger, a fan favorite, and one of the better defensive players in the game.

What type of contract do we give to Mark Stone?

How old will he be when his new contract kick in? 26? Something around 5y/6-6,5 aav.

That would bring him around 31y/o when that contract finish.

I think that 5 years is respectable. Don't know if Stone would want more.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Pretty much agree 5 years ~6M per.

$30M contract is pretty god for a top line winger.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I think the Sens will go as long term as they can with Stone and I think he's the type of guy who will leave a bit on the table too.

7 yrs at $5.85M per.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
4 years, 25 million. Mark Stone doesn't have the freakish athleticism to guarantee 7-8 years of sustained performance if injuries begin to take their toll. Love the player when healthy, don't enjoy watching him battle through injury though. Medium term puts him in the best situation to succeed relative to expectations.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
agree with the 5.5 at this point; but I would wait and see what happens this year before trying to lock him up.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
If they extend him early (this summer), I could see them getting a bit of discount for giving him his money upfront before he becomes a UFA.

If he gets to market after the 2018 season, I've used the Kyle Okposo contract as a comp. Mid 20's puck possession top 6 winger who produces at a 25G-65P clip. Okposo got 7 years, 42 million.

I'm in the minority, but I don't know if I'd commit that type of contract to Stone. There's some things about his game that I just don't like, and his below average foot speed won't age well when he loses a step as he gets into his 30's.

I believe Ottawa should look into dealing Stone for a #1C. He has two years of team control left and is an attractive piece on the market. Packages of Brassard+Ceci or White+Ceci are not going to land a #1C. And obviously no one wants to give up Chabot.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Here's my prediction. Stone has 1 RFA year left.

6 years 33M 5.5 AAV (4.75 RFA/5.65/5.65/5.65/5.65/5.65)

Despite it not being an entirely fair comparable, I could see Dorion pointing to Hoffman's 5.65M compensation as a UFA and using that as a ceiling on Stone. Dorion has been fairly successful with contracts thus far so I wouldn't expect Stone to hit a home run and get a massive deal. Stone will still have an RFA year left when his current contract expires which is why the first year is cheaper than the others. His qualifying offer would be 4.5M.

Ever since the crash of the Canadian dollar (aka post Ryan's contract) players of Stone's production typically get something around 6x6 on the open market so this would be a slight discount.

On a side note, if they do go that route and try to use Hoffman's 5.65M as an artificial cap on their 1st liners, maybe Turris signs for 5-6 years at 5.65M which would be a huge accomplishment for management to get a centre of Turris' calibre signed that cheap when most comparable contracts would put him at 6.5M-7M.

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
There's no way they get him for anything less than $7 million per. He had his worst full season production-wise since he became a full-time player with the team and he still finished T-67 in league scoring. The cap is most likely going up both this year and next and any increase in production, even back to ~ 60 points, means he's going to get a big time payday.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There's no way they get him for anything less than $7 million per. He had his worst full season production-wise since he became a full-time player with the team and he still finished T-67 in league scoring. The cap is most likely going up both this year and next and any increase in production, even back to ~ 60 points, means he's going to get a big time payday.

There's no guarantee of that.

If he was a center, I might buy he could get 7, but similarly producing UFA wingers have all gotten in the 6M range over the last two off seasons. He can be extended on July 1st this season so even if something happened to cause the cap to uncharacteristically shoot up by July 1st 2018 when he is a free agent, that won't matter. Right now the talk is that the cap could go up to 77M with the escalator but without it, it will most likely remain flat or close to flat.

60 point winger=6M in today's NHL. Stone has 1 RFA year left which will lower his AAV, the Sens have basically won every contract negotiation (except arguably Burrows but that's a different dynamic) since Dorion started taking over contracts 2 seasons ago. I don't know what the guy has on these players, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Stone take a small hair cut.

If they extend him this July, and he gets a penny over 6M for his UFA years I'll be incredibly surprised.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
not if I'm the senTors when negotiating his new contract.

Stone is getting paid like a legit top line forward in his next contract. Either the Sens pay him, or another team will pay him, but he's making top line money next time he signs a contract.

Duranium94

May 16, 2017
I don't see the argument for stone getting $7million or anything over $6million. He's a great player but I wouldn't consider him a $6-$7mil guy. There are things still hindering his game so I'm skeptical about giving him that big of a raise. His foot speed (or lack thereof) has always bothered me and he's a notoriously slow starter. Every year he's struggled through the first 15-25 games of the season (this year he began with a concussion). That also brings up issues with his health because he always seems to be playing hurt. His career high is 64 points from his rookie season dropping to 61 and 54 this season. EK is making $6.5 mil (which is absolute robbery) but he signed that deal after winning his first Norris and notching 78 points as a defenceman. Stone is easily capable of becoming a 70-80 point winger but he needs better starts. Until he scores at least 70 points, I wouldn't give him anything over $6 mil.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
agree with the 5.5 at this point; but I would wait and see what happens this year before trying to lock him up.

Agree. Mark Stone is 25 yrs old, if they sign him for more than 5 yrs what will his skating & injury problems be like in 5 yrs? I think he should be an effective player for the next few yrs but at some point he could start to deteriorate quickly given he's already not a great skater & is having injury problems. Ryan is 30 & signed for 5 more yrs & people have been complaining about him until these recent playoffs & I expect that to pick up again next season. Turris also needs a raise after next yr too & should get at least the same as Stone & White & Ceci will need contracts too. Knowing this owner it will be very difficult for PD to manage this internal budget with the number of good players needing raises soon. They may even have to make another move by trading a good young player in exchange for a good veteran player to manage their budget which was hotly debated here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad